Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 13:24   #91

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Secret Pleasures Aboard Your Boat

When I "shower" in my cockpit I am sitting and from another cockpit one cannot see lower than my man-boobs. An "OH MY EYES" moment for sure. If you climbed your mast (your cabin top is not high enough) it would be a "OH MY EYES, MY EYES, ACKK, GAG........"
Old 20-10-2011, 14:05   #92

Boat: looking

Wife is presently sewing new cabin curtains, so we can get back to secret pleasures. According to our neighbours, the old curtains left little to the imagination One of the neighbours believes that we really have some potential & offered to sell tickets!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 19:12   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull
We own a 79' Pearson 365, I'm thinking a hammock is a must after reading all these post! I have tried to rig one up with little success however. We have a roller furling jib and am a bit Leary of tying an end to it since I weigh about 230. I have heard of people using the main halyard for a support , tried that as well with unusual results.....any ideas?
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 20:03   #94

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
nice ................... boat!
Just correcting your typo...... 'butt'

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 20:05   #95

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Is this a secret pleasure?
I thought you were a man of awfully poor taste from your earlier post... but I can see I may have to reconsider

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 20:24   #96

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrjames View Post
We own a 79' Pearson 365, I'm thinking a hammock is a must after reading all these post! I have tried to rig one up with little success however. We have a roller furling jib and am a bit Leary of tying an end to it since I weigh about 230. I have heard of people using the main halyard for a support , tried that as well with unusual results.....any ideas?
Old 20-10-2011, 20:49   #97

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
My secret pleasure - see my last uploaded photo - is the double anchor setup with the double rollers for each anchor, all ruggedly mounted on a strong bowsprit. It is always a pleasure to sleep comfortably and deeply in the knowledge that there is a great anchoring system attached to the boat and also to the sea floor.

I am surprised, and may I say a little disappointed, that most of you focused on the 2 motley crew and not on the anchor setup.

So naturally, with all that focus on the wrong items, you know why they are holding up the white scarf?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 03:24   #98

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

Well my soon no-longer-to-be secret pleasure is popping open my laptop and then proceeding to sing every lyric to every song that I've previously saved to a word file.

Kinda like singing karaoke at the top of my lungs but without an audience while anchored out in the middle of nowhere...

"Hoist Up the John B. Sails", by the Beach Boys is one song that comes to mind.
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 04:16   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Blondie-Dog View Post
Well my soon no-longer-to-be secret pleasure is popping open my laptop and then proceeding to sing every lyric to every song that I've previously saved to a word file.

Kinda like singing karaoke at the top of my lungs but without an audience while anchored out in the middle of nowhere...

"Hoist Up the John B. Sails", by the Beach Boys is one song that comes to mind.
OH Yes, Ye Olde Private Karaoke. A favorite pastime if many a sailor, especially after dipping into ye olde rum. Sometimes not so private, and also not so welcome.
Old 21-10-2011, 04:38   #100
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Secret Pleasures Aboard Your Boat

Mmmm.... Oh Yeessss.... Thats sooooo good.... ahhhhhhh...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 05:47   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull
Thank you Don1500, awesome picture ! Is that your ride? Looks just like ours though we have the ketch set up, same colors too. Looks like you have have a better quality hammock with the wood braces across the strings. That must be the trick ! Can't wait to try it out, perhaps you could send your mate to help set it up?
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 07:15   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrjames View Post
Thank you Don1500, awesome picture ! Is that your ride? Looks just like ours though we have the ketch set up, same colors too. Looks like you have have a better quality hammock with the wood braces across the strings. That must be the trick ! Can't wait to try it out, perhaps you could send your mate to help set it up?
Not my mate, previous owner. I'll put up new pictures of the boat as soon as I take command.

Aloha 34, now on the hard in Annapolis, Md.
Old 22-10-2011, 23:17   #103

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Orrjames: the hammocks with the spreader bars aren't necessarily better quality, just different. In Mexico they mostly use hammocks without spreaders, which allows for more variety in seating positions (some learning required). It also wraps around more so is more secure. But you may prefer the spreader system as you are more on top than wrapped in the hammock. Try them both first.

As for quality it can vary widely. There is a lot of cheap crap out there, and you won't want them. I went with a synthetic material so I don't have mildew problems in storage. Cheap hammocks tend not to be wide enough or have a tight weave. Take a look at the photo on left to see how dense the netting should be. Even with the spreader bars a tighter spacing on the net is more comfortable.

Sorry if TMI...
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 10:20   #104

Boat: Ct 37
Free climb to the spreaders have a beer and watch the harbor
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 10:36   #105

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Orrjames: the hammocks with the spreader bars aren't necessarily better quality, just different. In Mexico they mostly use hammocks without spreaders, which allows for more variety in seating positions (some learning required). It also wraps around more so is more secure. But you may prefer the spreader system as you are more on top than wrapped in the hammock. Try them both first.

As for quality it can vary widely. There is a lot of cheap crap out there, and you won't want them. I went with a synthetic material so I don't have mildew problems in storage. Cheap hammocks tend not to be wide enough or have a tight weave. Take a look at the photo on left to see how dense the netting should be. Even with the spreader bars a tighter spacing on the net is more comfortable.

Sorry if TMI...
Great info!
Years ago, we had a couple of hammocks, on our Cal 3-30, that we picked-up in Ensenada. Just the cheaper kind, but worked well enough that we were planning to go find some more when we arrive in Ensenada. I'll have to look around for some with tighter weave, as you mention. At least 1 good hammock, preferably 2, should be essential equipment for cruisers!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote