Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 12:20   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: SAILING with CANCER

John always seems like a great person and I hope for him and Melanie that he pulls through and can continue on his voyage.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:33   #62
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
John always seems like a great person and I hope for him and Melanie that he pulls through and can continue on his voyage.
+1

Best wishes to them both.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 18:25   #63

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: SAD NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I received an email from Melanie on New Year's Eve, giving an update on John's health. She has updated their blog with the sad news -

John going back to USA

Hello Friends..

John's health have deteriorated and he was confined in Panama Sto.Tomas hospital. His tumor came back in the neck and is now experiencing tremendous pain without the relief of pain relievers. It has occur to me as a wife to get him in Panama and bring him back to USA. The Panama doctors were unable to help him over here and has suggested he came back to USA. His fighting till the end. As for the boat, we are forced to leave it in Panama under the care of Taboga Moorings by Chuy and Susan, same couple that watched over our boat last year when John went to UCSF for his chemo and radiation treatments.

Right now our plan is for him to get back to USA and see what is his other options. We are looking forward to sell the boat to help us out for the medical cost and perhaps keep us a float in this situation. Both our savings have been drain as well our friends and family. We cannot sell the boat in Panama unless someone is willing to pay for its price or atleast a decent price on how much she is worth. Our only hope that our friend will be able to bring the boat back in the US soil as soon as we get situated in USA. However to do this we need some finances to make it work for the boat to cross the canal and get it back to Florida. We have the crew to make it but we do not have the funds and working on it to raise it.

I am hoping John will respond to macrobiotic as others respond well on this. Only miracles is all I can hope and pray and God to watch over him when time is near. Not much to say but alot of prayers and hope we have all the strenght to face what is ahead and able to resolve issues. John's fear is that the boat will be wasted in Panama and unable to secure whats left on us. Right now, it has been a challenge for us and without our friends, families and supporters I will think that life wouldnt have taken us this far.

Thanks to all.

Posted by Imagine at 12:59 PM
Never met the man, or his family. But, I'd like to put this forth.......if someone would set up a paypal account in his/her name to help them in this time of need, living expenses, getting the boat home, whatever....I'd happily be the first to contribute some $$$ in this time of need.

Sorry I don't know how to do it, or the logistics of where they are to send it.....but I have witnessed it as being a success on another forum that I visit.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 19:06   #64
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

gunk, there is a paypal account set up on their blog Sailing with Cancer- One Man's race against time!

I sailed with John and Mel on the first leg. Florida to Colombia. It pains me to think about Imagine abandoned in Panama. To quote John - "Man makes plans, and the Gods laugh". Sometimes, that really is the way it goes.

Hopefully, others will help and we can at least get Imagine back to Florida, USA. The canal transit is not cheap, plus provisions for the crew, fuel,etc.

If someone is seriously in the market for a cruising catamaran ready to sail the Pacific, this could be the one for you. - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 20:30   #65
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Why not get a crew together to bring her to California as John has planned?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 21:15   #66
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I'll pm you John's email if you want to run that by him. It's a pretty serious trip and would require an experienced crew with lots of spare time. If you'll be captain, I'd crew for ya! You just want to sail a big, red, cat doncha?

I did just receive an email from Mel. They are back in Florida, staying with friends for now. I asked about their Paypal account, and it is still good for anyone willing to help. Also, a physical address for anyone that doesn't like to do paypal. I didn't ask about John's current condition, so no update on that. Kinda hard to ask - so, how's John doing?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 22:48   #67
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

It's a four week sail to Hawai'i and then another 3 weeks to San Francisco? Something like that?

I am now where close to being able to captain a trip like that, but I can stand watch and crew and keep the rest of the group fed and happy.

Folks could do one leg or the other if the full trip was too long.

We have, I KNOW, an amazingly talented group of mariners here. I wouldn't want to fly it by John unless it was really a possibility.

Sounds like it could be done by a crew of three but I bet four or five would be easier.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 22:55   #68
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We have the crew to make it but we do not have the funds and working on it to raise it.
It looks like it is not 'time' that John and Melanie need folks to volunteer. John is a great member of our community, and my heart is going out to Melanie (and John, of course). I wish there were something I could do to help them along through this horrible time.

Thank you, Ralph, for sharing this with us.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 23:12   #69

I2F is truly one of the good guys. Hope everything works out for him.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:55   #70

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Imagine2Frolic not doing well

I never met him but somehow I feel I know him. Good Luck buddy. BOB
Old 09-01-2012, 05:16   #71

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Imagine2Frolic not doing well

My prayers are with you.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34   #72

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
gunk, there is a paypal account set up on their blog Sailing with Cancer- One Man's race against time!

I sailed with John and Mel on the first leg. Florida to Colombia. It pains me to think about Imagine abandoned in Panama. To quote John - "Man makes plans, and the Gods laugh". Sometimes, that really is the way it goes.

Hopefully, others will help and we can at least get Imagine back to Florida, USA. The canal transit is not cheap, plus provisions for the crew, fuel,etc.

If someone is seriously in the market for a cruising catamaran ready to sail the Pacific, this could be the one for you. - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Thank you for the heads up RTB, I've sent off a donation via paypal. It's not much, but it's what I can do right now. This is probably one of those times where every bit helps.

Hope there are some who can get the boat home for them, be one less thing for them to worry about.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:57   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Re: Imagine2Frolic not doing well

Same here. Never knew there was a health issue and I2F is one of my favorite posters.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:12   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Imagine2Frolic not doing well

Hope he gets it back 2getha enuf to achieve his Pacific ambition...
He'll be >>>>>>

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:33   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SAILING with CANCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
It's a four week sail to Hawai'i and then another 3 weeks to San Francisco? Something like that?

I am now where close to being able to captain a trip like that, but I can stand watch and crew and keep the rest of the group fed and happy.

Folks could do one leg or the other if the full trip was too long.

We have, I KNOW, an amazingly talented group of mariners here. I wouldn't want to fly it by John unless it was really a possibility.

Sounds like it could be done by a crew of three but I bet four or five would be easier.
I'd be happy to crew if its after May.. just taken on a commitment till then..
Just need coffee's and lotsa cheeze n tomato on toast...
n somewhere to smoke..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing