Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 19:06   #271
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: sailboats can injure and kill

Its all good.
I started the rubber bands this morning. POD #5. I have never been so motivated to get better. I have a great life, and I don't want to loose one second. I will make the preventer easier to use by next spring. And the boom shorter )
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 19:10   #272
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Not if you're going faster with the lower wind angle. Depends on the boat and the wind, but it is often much faster and more pleasant to gybe downwind instead of going ddw.

Not sure if this relates to newt, though!
Actually, it does. The less deep the angle of sail, the less likely an accidental gybe can happen.
Old 09-10-2012, 19:17   #273
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
A good conversation. I think it points out that modern boats that don't sail DDW well probably aren't the best bluewater tradewind passagemakers. This is one of the reasons that the ketch rig is still around, if you are going to make long blue water passages, it makes sense to be able to do it DDW efficiently without constantly gybing. It's nice to spend a day or more without touching a sheet...
Constantly gybing? On long bluewater passages?

Gybe once today, and then once tomorrow, and then once....

If that gets to be too much stress, you might be better off cruising with Royal Caribbean, or maybe Carnival, or maybe....
Old 09-10-2012, 19:30   #274
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Not if you're going faster with the lower wind angle. Depends on the boat and the wind, but it is often much faster and more pleasant to gybe downwind instead of going ddw.

Not sure if this relates to newt, though!

It relates to remembering what happened to Newt. I'm going to name the boom "Newt" and the preventer "Remember Newt!"

But you're right. You're describing how my friend won PHRF series, by planning those gybes and the points of sail very carefully.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 20:18   #275

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

I might consider taking a working vacation. Depends on what needs done. We're looking to expand in the next year or so anyway so it wouldn't hurt to scout around.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 20:30   #276
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
It relates to remembering what happened to Newt. I'm going to name the boom "Newt" and the preventer "Remember Newt!"

But you're right. You're describing how my friend won PHRF series, by planning those gybes and the points of sail very carefully.

It occurred to me that this will lead to complex directions from the skipper:

"Remember to put the remember Newt on the Newt!"
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50   #277

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Its all good.
I started the rubber bands this morning. POD #5. I have never been so motivated to get better. I have a great life, and I don't want to loose one second. I will make the preventer easier to use by next spring. And the boom shorter )
Remember that shoulders are not "captured" but only held in place by a bunch of "rubber bands" (one surgeon says). So be careful not to over do it and stretch/snap any with virginal zestful exuberance (I know it isn't like sex ).
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58   #278
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Remember that shoulders are not "captured" but only held in place by a bunch of "rubber bands" (one surgeon says). So be careful not to over do it and stretch/snap any with virginal zestful exuberance (I know it isn't like sex ).

You remember how James Brady used to talk about his "physical terrorist" after he was shot?

But Therapy is right. If the therapist says "ten times" don't do it 20, just like you shouldn't double-dose on any prescribed meds.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:59   #279

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
My boat has swept-back spreaders, and does better jybing downwind than DDW, which is a point of sail I hate anyway -- hot and boring.
Most boats will be enough faster on a broad reach that they will make faster VMG to destination by sailing as you describe.

But it also depends on how much wind you have. If it's blowing hard enough to hit (or exceed) hullspeed DDW with just the headsail out, then on the contrary it will be faster to sail DDW. Depending on the sea state, you might get some surfing going, too, which can be more comfortable than quartering seas on a broad reach, depending of course on how stable your boat is and how effective the rudder is. I love sailing downwind in a good, strong wind -- say, 25 or 30 knots. The more the better -- up to the point where the sea state starts to become dangerous. In 40 knots of wind I can usually make 11 or 12 knots of boatspeed downwind, so the apparent wind is only say 28. It's a great ride; some of my favorite sailing.

In lighter winds DDW sucks on any boat -- slow and rolly and hard to manage. In less than say 18 knots of wind true, sailing downwind, I will usually go wing-on-wing in my boat, and wish again that I had bought that carbon whisker pole, but broad reaching and gybing is also an option, which becomes increasingly attractive the lighter the wind is. In less than 10 knots, however, I don't bother sailing downwind at all in my boat -- on goes the iron topsail. It takes more than 10 knots of wind to move 25 tons of my boat downwind without a spinnaker.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10   #280

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Sure you might be sailing faster, but that doesn't change the added distance. Either you gybe often to reduce the extra mileage sailed, greatly increasing the workload on crew and wear and tear on boat, or you add 25% or more to the mileage sailed, which also obviously increases wear and tear. You might be sailing faster, so it might not take you much more time, but the distance traveled will be much longer...
How often you gybe does not affect the distance sailed. It's purely a function of how many degrees off your desired course you're sailing. How often you gybe only effects how many miles off the rhumb line you go on each tack, and that does not affect the number of miles sailed.

So like Bash said -- on long passages, people tend to do it once or twice a day, if that often.

It's definitely the way to go if VMG to destination increases, and the point of sail is safer and/or more comfortable than sailing directly towards your destination.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35   #281
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the thing that cruisers know that racers dont is that it is all about getting there in one piece,with minimal wear and effort,
time and speed are not a great concern,
but the time and effort repairing streched sails,damaged rigging,broken booms etc seriously impact on our persuit of fun when arriving at the next tropical haven......waiting for dhl sucks!
i rest my case
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:46   #282
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
How often you gybe does not affect the distance sailed. It's purely a function of how many degrees off your desired course you're sailing. How often you gybe only effects how many miles off the rhumb line you go on each tack, and that does not affect the number of miles sailed.

So like Bash said -- on long passages, people tend to do it once or twice a day, if that often.

It's definitely the way to go if VMG to destination increases, and the point of sail is safer and/or more comfortable than sailing directly towards your destination.

Hmmm. Basic physics- "The shortest distance between two points is a straight line".
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55   #283

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Hmmm. Basic physics- "The shortest distance between two points is a straight line".
Yea, but that is just distance.

rate x time = distance.

rate makes a difference too.

could somone do the math for me please?

In a boat I no longer have;

8 knots true wind.
DDW, 4 knots.
150°, 6 knots.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yea, but that is just distance.

rate x time = distance.

rate makes a difference too.

could somone do the math for me please?

In a boat I no longer have;

8 knots true wind.
DDW, 4 knots.
150°, 6 knots.

DAMN

I did not notice what thread this was and contributed to the same stupid thread drift that so irritated me earlier.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:02   #285
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: sailboats can injure and kill

I feel for you having been there...
But I am surprised you seem surprised...
Which brings me to an experience on a Tiki 26 with a gaff wing sail many years back...
Hohoho... no boom... no problem...
WRONG....
Ok I did not have a heavy and hard bit of aluminium to whack me round the head... but its amazing how far a bit of wind filled canvas can throw you...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote