Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 14:05   #256

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll

on a 2500 mile downwind passage you will end up sailing 25% further using that technique!or 25 days on a 20 day passage!

nothing wrong with that,but crossing an ocean with multiple island stops i know where i would rather spend those extra days!
Not if you're going faster with the lower wind angle. Depends on the boat and the wind, but it is often much faster and more pleasant to gybe downwind instead of going ddw.

Not sure if this relates to newt, though!
Old 09-10-2012, 14:10   #257
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: sailboats can injure and kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Not if you're going faster with the lower wind angle. Depends on the boat and the wind, but it is often much faster and more pleasant to gybe downwind instead of going ddw.

Sure you might be sailing faster, but that doesn't change the added distance. Either you gybe often to reduce the extra mileage sailed, greatly increasing the workload on crew and wear and tear on boat, or you add 25% or more to the mileage sailed, which also obviously increases wear and tear. You might be sailing faster, so it might not take you much more time, but the distance traveled will be much longer...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:13   #258
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Sure you might be sailing faster, but that doesn't change the added distance. Either you gybe often to reduce the extra mileage sailed, greatly increasing the workload on crew and wear and tear on boat, or you add 25% or more to the mileage sailed, which also obviously increases wear and tear. You might be sailing faster, so it might not take you much more time, but the distance traveled will be much longer...

Actually gybes aren't hard on either crew or equipment if done right. I prefer them when single-handing. Don't much care if I cover a little more distance for ease of sailing single-handed. Handling a pole for the headsail is extra work, too.

Gybing downwind is easy on my boat, and plenty fast enough. YMMV and all that. Every boat is a trade off.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:19   #259
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Actually gybes aren't hard on either crew or equipment if done right. I prefer them when single-handing. Don't much care if I cover a little more distance for ease of sailing single-handed. Handling a pole for the headsail is extra work, too.

Gybing downwind is easy on my boat, and plenty fast enough. YMMV and all that. Every boat is a trade off.

Can you guarantee that they will be "done right" 100% of the time? This is why I say it adds to wear and tear, the odds of a damaging uncontrolled gybe go up the more you do it. I think this thread should be proof of that. I agree, every boat is a trade off, as is every technique. But sometimes you come out ahead on the trade and sometimes you are the loser. It can be hard to determine which one of these is the actual case. Which is probably why we spend so much time here discussing these things...
Old 09-10-2012, 14:19   #260
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post

slower in the right direction is faster than faster in the wrong direction! over a 25 degree course deviation!

how ever on longer passages wind shifts can be used to your advantage if you have good weather information as an approaching low pressure system to the south in the southern hemisphere or north in the northen hemisphere will shift the mean wind over a 10 day period by 15-20 degrees on tropical trans ocean passages.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:21   #261

Boat: OEM, proportional

Ah, looking forward to those tame junk sails where gybing is no worry. Also looking forward to the intriguing yet probably insane experiment of hoisting a dipping lug over a junk main on a small open yawl...very light winds only, of course. About 45 sq m of sail on 6m of boat. Lifejacket mandatory...
Old 09-10-2012, 14:25   #262

Quote:
The key is not SOG ( Speed over Ground ) but VMG (Velocity Made Good).

It may appear counter intuitive, yet... at times it is faster to get to a mark (destination) while not going in a direct line. This is due to the difference in how a boat handles at different points of the wind. Racers generally know this like the back of their hand, but this is left out or not understood by all cruisers. As to wear and tear.... that is a subject that can be the source of more opinions then boats......
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:30   #263
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Yeah -- I think I'm gonna put a big red sticker on the boom that says "Newt!"
Rather than putting an amphibian on your boom ( which you are trying to avoid being) A simple Mallard head would work- reminding you to" duck". :-)
I am recovering nicely Alan, thanks for asking. I am following this conversation with great interest, as I always seem to be out in water were the swell is from one direction and the wind and the wind waves from another. I think a reefed main centered might work well for that.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 14:31   #264
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzyD View Post

It may appear counter intuitive, yet... at times it is faster to get to a mark (destination) while not going in a direct line. This is due to the difference in how a boat handles at different points of the wind. Racers generally know this like the back of their hand, but this is left out or not understood by all cruisers. As to wear and tear.... that is a subject that can be the source of more opinions then boats......

Oh, I agree. But I also think that there is a huge difference between doing this on a race boat with crew on a relatively small race course, and doing this while passage making with short crew on a boat that will not have repair facilities and parts handy. I already said it may not cost you more time, in fact it might save you some, but it will also put more risk and wear on the boat and crew.
Old 09-10-2012, 14:41   #265
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Rather than putting an amphibian on your boom ( which you are trying to avoid being) A simple Mallard head would work- reminding you to" duck". :-)
I am recovering nicely Alan, thanks for asking. I am following this conversation with great interest, as I always seem to be out in water were the swell is from one direction and the wind and the wind waves from another. I think a reefed main centered might work well for that.
i don't know about having the main centered,only do that if motor sailing to stop the boat rolling,having the boom at 45 degrees,and a poled out jib gives great balance with winds on the stern quarter.

running a preventer for the boom and uphaul and fore aft down hauls keeps the pole and boom safe as well
Old 09-10-2012, 14:54   #266

Quote:

Bingo - we have a winner.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 15:03   #267
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A good conversation. I think it points out that modern boats that don't sail DDW well probably aren't the best bluewater tradewind passagemakers. This is one of the reasons that the ketch rig is still around, if you are going to make long blue water passages, it makes sense to be able to do it DDW efficiently without constantly gybing. It's nice to spend a day or more without touching a sheet...
Old 09-10-2012, 15:19   #268
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

the thing that cruisers know that racers dont is that it is all about getting there in one piece,with minimal wear and effort,
time and speed are not a great concern,
but the time and effort repairing streched sails,damaged rigging,broken booms etc seriously impact on our persuit of fun when arriving at the next tropical haven......waiting for dhl sucks!
Old 09-10-2012, 15:54   #269

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Oh, I agree. But I also think that there is a huge difference between doing this on a race boat with crew on a relatively small race course, and doing this while passage making with short crew on a boat that will not have repair facilities and parts handy. I already said it may not cost you more time, in fact it might save you some, but it will also put more risk and wear on the boat and crew.
Gybing is easy and safe in any conditions that you'd likely to be "gybing downwind" in order to increase VMG to your destination.

If you're able to get hull speed DDW, then this is your fastest way to get to your destination since heading up won't make you any faster (though it may be worth it due to comfort).

In lighter conditions (where heating it up can make a large difference to VMG as well as making for a more comfortable ride), gybing is easy and it doesn't have to be often. Just gybe on the watch changes. Takes less than a minute and keeps you from getting too bored.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 17:02   #270

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Seems you are going to be well some day Newt. svHyLyte (I have to go back to look at that spelling every time - ) is pretty smart and also seems to have first hand info. I only help the docs with the surgery. Never saw them after.

But my wife had to do some of those color-coded-rubber band-exercises. It is true the physical therapists set up programs for the "normal" people. It is no fun. It hurts. Most (me included more than once) can't see far enough in the future to push through the pain. Some of us are just sissies I guess.

Too bad so many forgot that you purposely untied the preventer. And know how to use one.

And that the boat continued to turn, un benknownst to all.