Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 23-03-2011, 06:00   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Sailboat under tow had mast broken off on the Blue Heron Bridge-today

I have been towed a few times at various places along the US east coast and also know some of the guys who do the towing. What folks don't realize is that these outfits are all "independents" who sign up with TowBoatUS or the other outfit for an annual contract. It is always a problem for the main office to get and keep these operators. And of course, the main office is always looking for a more "economical" outfit to contract with for the coming year.
- - What this leads to is a very wide range of "expertise" among the various outfits actually doing the towing. Some are very experienced and have been in the tow business for years - and - other are "newbies" with very little experience or knowledge of how to tow various boats beyond tieing on a rope and pushing the throttles forward.
- - So I recommend that you learn how your boat should be towed and if you are in a position where you need a tow, you discuss with the guy how best to tow your boat and supervise/watch closely everything he does. Keep a really sharp knife handy to cut loose if necessary.

Old 23-03-2011, 06:47   #17

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

As someone who actually owned a towboat company, and now works for another, I'd like to clear up a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
The big bill you pay to get towed is split between the operator, the boat owner, the local company, and the national company..
This is sort of true for a SeaTow franchise area. SeaTow areas are in fact franchises, and the local franchisee does share a portion of his gross income with the SeaTow International. Each area is responsible for all the costs of owning and manning their boats. Each area also keeps a majority portion of the annal membership fees from the members in their area.

This is completely UNTRUE for a TowBOAT/US tower. TowBOAT/US areas are merely service contracts, not franchises. If a TowBOAT/US contractor bills a customer for any work, the local contractor keeps all that money. Again, the local contractor is responsible for all the costs of owning and manning his towboats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
What folks don't realize is that these outfits are all "independents" who sign up with TowBoatUS or the other outfit for an annual contract. It is always a problem for the main office to get and keep these operators. And of course, the main office is always looking for a more "economical" outfit to contract with for the coming year.
That is correct; TOWBOAT/US areas are not franchises; each area is independently owned and the local company bills BOAT/US by the hour for assisting BOAT/US members. The local companies do not receiver any share of the annual membership income. However, BOAT/US is not "always looking for a more economical outfit" for the coming year. Many BOAT/US contracts are multiyear in duration, and never in the history of the TowBoat/US program has a new tower who takes over an area been paid less per hour than the previous one. Most TowBOAT/US areas have been owned by the same person for well over 10 years.

Old 23-03-2011, 07:00   #18
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

+1 for the above... I was a partner in the first TowBoat/US Sarasota (Offshore Marine Towing Inc). Back in "the day" it was a lucrative business to be in, as 50 miles of coast was covered by only 2 boats... They stayed busy all the time. I'm not sure, but I think today there are at least 15 boats serving that same area... The pie is sliced pretty thin now!

Often now the individual towboats are owner-operated and work under contract with the local service area holder.... Used to be a 60/40% split, but don't know about today.
Old 23-03-2011, 07:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Often now the individual towboats are owner-operated and work under contract with the local service area holder....
I think that is still the exception, and probably more common in Florida than anywhere else.
Old 23-03-2011, 07:07   #20

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Ok doug86, who pays to fix the rig? The tow captain, BoatUS, or the sailboats insurance? If it was me and I got any resistance at all from BoatUS for paying I would turn it over to my insurance and let them handle it. The have a whole team of lawyers looking for something to do.
Old 23-03-2011, 07:12   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
He probably asked and got the wrong answer.
I've heard people give there mast height as what the height of there mast, not including deck to water distance.
Has boat crossing thru a bridge in La. last year ahead of me approaching a drawbridge in front of me that wasn't slowing down and yelled to him on the radio to stop and wait for the bridge to open. He said he had plenty of clearance, bridge tender heard me and closed the barriers, started blowing his horn and barely got the bridge open in time.
Mast was about 3' taller than the roadway, exactly the same as me. as we had the same boats and he insisted he was shortet.

Sounds like to screw ups where you were at RAM, the towboay and the skipper of the boat also for running into the bridge. It's a shame, but thank goodness for insurance. Hope everyone was okay..
Possibly WITHOUT insurance folks wouldn't act so stupid!! Certainly more responsible,,

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 23-03-2011, 07:16   #22

Why was it being towed, it's a sailing boat after all.
Sails and engine failed???
Old 23-03-2011, 07:28   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artif View Post
Why was it being towed, it's a sailing boat after all.
Sails and engine failed???
Going under a bridge in the ICW it is not a good idea to sail and in fact at many bridges it is prohibitted to even have your sails up at all.
Old 23-03-2011, 07:28   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Ok doug86, who pays to fix the rig? The tow captain, BoatUS, or the sailboats insurance? If it was me and I got any resistance at all from BoatUS for paying I would turn it over to my insurance and let them handle it. The have a whole team of lawyers looking for something to do.
Ready2, IF the towboat is found at fault, then his (the local contractor) insurance will be the one to pay. Boat/US's insurance would not come into play (unless of course, they insure the sailboat.)

However, there is a big IF. The law assumes that a boat owner knows more about his boat than a towboat captain does, and therefore information provided by the sailboat is generally considered the most reliable information available in circumstances like this. This means that the towboat captain isn't negligent for relying on information provided to him by the owner/operator of his tow.

I'm not saying this is what happened in this case; merely hypothetical.
Old 23-03-2011, 07:35   #25
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Also, a lot of the TowBoat/US contractors are insured by TowBoat/US... And the premiums are just stooopid (yup, 3 "o"s) expensive!
Old 23-03-2011, 07:43   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

While the issue may make for good discussion we really know nothing about the parties, the arrangements, and what transpired on the boat. A boat being towed is under command of the tow boat captain. I'm not seeing that being the only issue since the towing contract is also a part of this mess to be sorted out.

As a boat owner I know exactly all the bridges, wires, cables and assorted things I can't fit under or over within a very large radius. There are facts in this story that are clearly missing.
Old 23-03-2011, 07:55   #27

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
huh? every bridge has a scale that shows height above water... no need to know the tide, just read the clearance from the scale.

cheers,
Nick.
Nick
Please note: I've seen those height boards missing because some vessel scrapped them off the bridge piling. I can't point the finger at who done it. But usually they have to wait for the next years funding, before they can replace them.
Accidents do happen and hopefully it will never happen to US.
Mark
Old 23-03-2011, 08:02   #28
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Nick
Please note: I've seen those height boards missing because some vessel scrapped them off the bridge piling. I can't point the finger at who done it. But usually they have to wait for the next years funding, before they can replace them.
Accidents do happen and hopefully it will never happen to US.
Mark
huh? the scale was missing? how do you know that? If one expects the scale but it is missing, one should stop and use other means to verify clearance. But somebody posted that the scale wasn't missing and that it showed 62' while the boat needed 64' clearance.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 23-03-2011, 08:09   #29

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

One question: Was there a towing check off list used before taking that sailboat under tow? And on that list did it request the vessel being towed dimensions? Was the dimensions listed in meters or feet?
This list should have been completed before taking that vessel under tow.
Old 23-03-2011, 08:21   #30

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

I believe the owner/skipper may have posted on here, I may br wrong though, Quote by Bazzas Boat, Post #11

The Tow Boat US Captain never asked the owner/skipper his mast height. Foreign registered boat and crew. Boat clearance above water line is 64'. Owner/skipper saw bridge markings 62' (exceptional high tides due to Moon, registered US Government clearance at Blue Heron bridge 65') when nearing bridge but unable to notify Tow Boat US Captain in time. Tow Boat US captain dragged sail boat under Blue Heron bridge and now refuses liability after previously admitting full responsibility. Does any one know the US law?

Closed Thread

Tags
mast, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: