Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2008, 10:58   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I thought it was "those that have run aground & those that lie"
If anyone clicks on my profile their is a picture of my boat.

She may or may not have run aground ..........it takes "local knowledge" to run aground just past the pier heads
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 12:13   #17

Boat: Which one?
You know your aground when you see birds walking around beside the boat.

A joyous event normally reserved for plaining boats.

Bring me another noggin of rum, now, matey!
DaveyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:16   #18

Boat: 1969 Buchan 37, and a Sparrow 12 named Jaundice
Have yet to run aground, but since my family lives in a remote bay with a lot of "local knowledge" underwater topography, we have seen our fair share of groundings. One solution that struck me as particularly ingenious was running a line from the mast of a grounded sailboat down to a skiff. The skiff pulled the line away from the boat, heeling her over and allowing the owners to motor themselves to deeper water. Seems like something to try on keel-stepped masts only, though...
wildhitsuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:09   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhitsuji View Post
... One solution that struck me as particularly ingenious was running a line from the mast of a grounded sailboat down to a skiff. The skiff pulled the line away from the boat, heeling her over and allowing the owners to motor themselves to deeper water. Seems like something to try on keel-stepped masts only, though...
Done this many times - both keel & deck stepped masts.
Simple and often effective.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 18:46   #20

The more times you run aground the better you get at getting back off...I suggest practice makes perfect !! Last time I ran aground I had to put the engine in astern, set the auto pilot to hold the tiller hard across, back the main, and climb out onto the end of the boom and sway up and down. (i was by myself.) It is the weirdest feeling being ou there as the boat is slowly sailing itself backwards on one hell of a lean. Its even weirder when the thought enters your mind that A. if you fall in the boat is going to keep going, and B. you now have to get back on board and very quickly because you are about to run aground astern !! It helped heaps that I had a group of power boats who had stopped to watch. They gave an almighty cheer and clapped when I finally succeeded. I graciously bowed, and thanked them for not spoiling my fun by helping.........
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 21:48   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Thats bad, but what's worse is the boat could do a complete circle and run you over.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 22:29   #22
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
marco chart discrepencies

My most recent grounding was where the channel splits going into marco island pass. DO NOT rely on charts as being accurate in this area. There used to be a crescent shaped Island off the south side of the entrance that was a common anchorage. I tried to get from the channel split to the area which showed ten foot on chart and ran into sand. To get out the gps showed me running over land. Even the updated chart on maptech has the same topography. One thing ive learned is when exploring I only go poking around at a low incoming tide.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 00:12   #23

Semantics?

Have yet to be "aground". From these posts it sounds like a good excuse for a brew.

Have been "a-rock". "A-rock" gets expensive quickly. NOT recommended.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing around with boats.
zcfd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:17   #24

I didn't run aground in the Great Lakes, but came within inches. In 1974 I was on my first job as a skipper. I was running an old 42' Hatteras tri-cabin. A pair of 653's. She was a real pig in following seas and was an embarrassment on a plane.

Anyway, I was excited to be in the position and taking the boat from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale via Lakes Michigan, Huron and Erie and then eastward through the Erie Canal down the Hudson and eventually the ICW.

As we approached the Straits of Mackinaw, in the crystal clear water I wacked a boulder with the starboard prop. Limped into Mac on one engine.

Several years later running crewboats out of Breton Island, Louisiana I ran aground right in the middle of the bouyed channel at low tide more than once. That was fun.
oldsalt_1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:38   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
At one time, back when I was cruising the Lake, every rock within 5’-4” of the surface of L. Superior was marked with blue paint.
I know – I “put” them there.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 17:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I thought it was "those that have run aground & those that lie"
I was taught by an old salty bos'n mate that you "never, ever run aground. You turn on your anchor light and call in moored".
Old 03-02-2008, 19:03   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Blue rocks are OK Gord. It's the rocks you leave the White paint on you have to worry about.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 17:07   #28

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
An amusing one

Of the several times I've touched bottom this one still makes me laugh.

It was on a charter with two couples as my clients. As it happened they were German but let's not get racist. They could easily have been any other nationality. It is just that I clearly recall the two men's names: Hans and Klaus.

We had a fun time around the Sporades islands for a week and then on the last day as a last generous gesture I offered them the option for a last swim off a tiny island near Skiathos. Uninhabited and very romantic. Also very rocky all around the sandy beach.

As it happened it was a windy afternoon and I thought it would be kind to get them as close to the beach as possible.

Being aware of the shallow rocky bottom I asked Hans and Klaus to go to the bows and look for rocks. They did, and I motored in at a cautious speed to make stopping possible when the rocks would be seen.

Next thing I knew was 'touchdown' on a nice flat rock slanting up towards the sandy beach. We ground to a halt and I gritted my teeth but said nothing at the time, knowing that no matter what happens on a ship it is always the captain's responsibility.

It was easy to reverse out of it and put down the anchor for the swim.

After the swim and drinks in the harbour at the end of the day I asked Hans and Klaus if they had seen the rock. They said yes they did. I just smiled.

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 19:54   #29

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
With Sea Trek's full keel and 6 foot draft we have never run her aground. We have on occasions parked her.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 17:37   #30

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
"If you haven't been aground, you haven't been around"

I guess you could say, I'm well rounded!
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote