Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Re: Run Over by a Fishing Boat!

And now, back to something related to boating
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 16:57   #62

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

My AIS position is correct, My boat is just south of the north channel, but the event occurred about 100 meters from the french channel.
This in not about revenge or legal rights of way... This is to warn all of us that in calm waters that there are boat with huge motors that will over take you in a few seconds. You need to be on your guard to prevent disaster.
I'm alive and well with only minor injuries. I'm sure the guy that hit me pissed his pants when he heard the sound of the impact.
I'm Cajun and as part of my culture we do not go after people via legal mean unless they deserve it. He pissed his pants and I'm sure he is more careful now that he nearly killed someone.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 04:08   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardoin View Post
we do not go after people via legal mean
I wasn't suggesting you prosecute the other boater, just that you should report it to the Captainerie so they know there was an accident. There is a speed limit of 3kts, but as long as nothing bad happens, no-one is going to impose it.
There's a lot of dinghy traffic into Marigot from the greater lagoon, its amazing there isn't more accidents. I would advise everyone moving around the pond at night to have a real navlight, not a little head mounted worklight. I bought one of these, LED Navi Light Tricolor Portable Waterproof Red, Green & White W/GoPro Mount but once I get a working dinghy I'm going to add a pole to get it high enough to be seen. I also carry a very bright spotlight to shine right in their eyes. It still scares me, I try not to move further than from the boat to the beach at night.
Old 24-01-2017, 06:23   #64

Boat: Camano Troll

It's not really a good idea to shine a bright light into the eyes of the operator of a fast approaching boat because you've now blinded them and they really can't see you.

Get their attention, yes. Blind them, no.
Old 24-01-2017, 07:17   #65

My light was an all round white LED 2nm USCG rated and on a pole mount on the engine, up about 10inches above the engine. It fell victim to the accident. I replaced with the tricolor LED with a GoPro mount. I've been using a GoPro extended quick mount to get it up higher than it would be using the suction system they have. I'm not sure if I'll keep using the GoPro extended mount as it vibrates quite a bit on the engine. I still have the mount base for the short pole on the engine, I may have to rig something using that mount point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I wasn't suggesting you prosecute the other boater, just that you should report it to the Captainerie so they know there was an accident. There is a speed limit of 3kts, but as long as nothing bad happens, no-one is going to impose it.
There's a lot of dinghy traffic into Marigot from the greater lagoon, its amazing there isn't more accidents. I would advise everyone moving around the pond at night to have a real navlight, not a little head mounted worklight. I bought one of these, LED Navi Light Tricolor Portable Waterproof Red, Green & White W/GoPro Mount but once I get a working dinghy I'm going to add a pole to get it high enough to be seen. I also carry a very bright spotlight to shine right in their eyes. It still scares me, I try not to move further than from the boat to the beach at night.
Old 24-01-2017, 08:25   #66

Boat: Pearson

In all my dumbness, I assume zero. 80 miles off the fl gulf coast , doldrums, a mass of seaweed, swarms of small lime green mosquitos, a main sail flapping, me dozing in the cockpit 3am, i heard a putt, putt. my tri was lit up like a xmas tree, out of the fog comes a small sloop, no lights, no one on deck,putted by me 18-25 fe et away... hello.. another time in long island sound, the dinks line parted and when i noticed it , it was a spot of white, then i watched a egg harbor sport fish run over it , it shot out from under the boat, and the nut behind the wheel didnt have a clue, dink was ok. I assume minus zero.. a day in the life...
Old 24-01-2017, 08:56   #67

Run Over by a Fishing Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardoin View Post
I don't think many people understand that from the time you see one of these boats till impact is about 10 seconds.

You see him rounding the island, you look to see what path he is taking (4 seconds gone) .

We've all had our close calls on the water and for some of us other in operating environments.

Having personally screwed it up myself before I'm gonna be a little blunt here but not judgmental.

Next time see that boat LONG before it comes around the corner. Doesn't your dinghy have an AIS transceiver (almost) Class A? It should.

Boat Beacon AIS on your dinghy, on your smart phone should have let you see the moving vessel before you untied from the dock.

Next time the Boat Beacon apple watch app will vibrate your wrist when the CPA was violated. Even if you forgot to check the phone you'll know something's up. Plus you will appear on his AIS which he is watching (99% odds because other things on AIS compose the picture that could sink him).

Next time you are in a new harbor, even sitting at anchor, when the boat Beacon alerts trip you'll be further attuned to how the harbor runs.

Boat Beacon is the second best $10 you will spend on your yacht with the first $10 to spend being of course Rick Page's book.

Again no judgment - anyone on this forum with callused hands has seen equal or worse. All we can do is learn and improve. I'm grateful for you openly sharing your moment and hopefully it helps me in the future. Stay safe.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 09:26   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
We've all had our close calls on the water and for some of us other in operating environments.

Having personally screwed it up myself before I'm gonna be a little blunt here but not judgmental.

Next time see that boat LONG before it comes around the corner. Doesn't your dinghy have an AIS transceiver (almost) Class A? It should.

Boat Beacon AIS on your dinghy, on your smart phone should have let you see the moving vessel before you untied from the dock.

Next time the Boat Beacon apple watch app will vibrate your wrist when the CPA was violated. Even if you forgot to check the phone you'll know something's up. Plus you will appear on his AIS which he is watching (99% odds because other things on AIS compose the picture that could sink him).

Next time you are in a new harbor, even sitting at anchor, when the boat Beacon alerts trip you'll be further attuned to how the harbor runs.

Boat Beacon is the second best $10 you will spend on your yacht with the first $10 to spend being of course Rick Page's book.

Again no judgment - anyone on this forum with callused hands has seen equal or worse. All we can do is learn and improve. I'm grateful for you openly sharing your moment and hopefully it helps me in the future. Stay safe.

This isn't tongue in cheek or a joke, your serious aren't you?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 09:29   #69

AIS on a local fishing boat? On a dinghy? Surely you jest?
Old 24-01-2017, 09:35   #70

Local fishing boats don't carry AIS nor do dinks. Not much good. Everyone that has opened their Apple AIS on my boat has been alerted that they were about to collided with Music (my boat) and they have to turn it off otherwise it drives them crazy with alters for near collision with my boat. Using that on the dink would not do much good since the boats in Le Lagoon do not usually run with AIS and the Apple app doesn't transmit AIS.
Thanks
Old 24-01-2017, 09:58   #71

Boat: Pearson

forgot to mention, my dink got run over in long island sound in 1967.....
Old 24-01-2017, 10:54   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
AIS on a local fishing boat? On a dinghy? Surely you jest?

Hey guys, No jest on the dinghy side and maybe my mistake on the fishing vessel. IDK what % AIS is around for that area. In my head I visualized a commercial fisherman probably having AIS.

Handheld or dinghy AIS : A smart phone in your pocket, a gsm chip, data plan and Boat Beacon app.

Their website is called "Pocket Mariner" which Given the mild criticisms I recognize now as aptly named. I've run boat Beacon on iOS for years; thousands of nm.

http://pocketmariner.com/mobile-apps/boatbeacon/

That is my AIS on my dinghy. Tell me if I'm missing something cause I sort of have learned to depend on it quite a bit.

Even if you think I'm way off base, maybe spend the $10 involved, try it for a season on your own phone and decide for yourself?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:01   #73

Cell phone AIS doesn't transmit and it received AIS from the internet (that could be old data). While the apps are awesome, they are not realtime. And you apple phone (or Android) is not broadcasting your location to others it is only receiving from the internet via cell tower what other sites connected to the internet are reporting. Nobody that I know of has an AIS A or B transmitter on their dink. And only commercial boats above 300 ft in length are required to run AIS A (I may be wrong about the length) but local fishing boat don't carry AIS and you are lucky if they even have a radar reflector on board.
Old 24-01-2017, 11:13   #74

Boat: center console

How about carrying a horn, one of the loud, handheld gas operated jobs, one for the mothership and one for the dinghy. When the offending vessel is near, one quick blast will get his attention and that of everyone else as well. If you are still alive after being hit, you can now sound the emergency. Forget the rules for whistles, you are just trying to make noise.
Plus, he just might feel more compelled to return to the scene & make amends!
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:18   #75

For long periods of time I am outside of cell phone tower range. I carry a real AIS transiever. The cell phone apps are great, but the are receiving second hand information and providing it to you as long as you are in reach of a cell tower that your provider supports. It does not provide your location, heading, etc to the other vessels. And the data is provides can be out of date. Seriously out of date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Hey guys, No jest on the dinghy side and maybe my mistake on the fishing vessel. IDK what % AIS is around for that area. In my head I visualized a commercial fisherman probably having AIS.

Handheld or dinghy AIS : A smart phone in your pocket, a gsm chip, data plan and Boat Beacon app.

Their website is called "Pocket Mariner" which Given the mild criticisms I recognize now as aptly named. I've run boat Beacon on iOS for years; thousands of nm.

Boat Beacon - Real time Marine Traffic and Ship Finder AIS

That is my AIS on my dinghy. Tell me if I'm missing something cause I sort of have learned to depend on it quite a bit.

Even if you think I'm way off base, maybe spend the $10 involved, try it for a season on your own phone and decide for yourself?

Tags
boat, fish, fishing