As a network guy I always try to determine root cause of a problem, lest it come back to haunt me later in life. Y'all may have seen my smoke-tested A/C unit controller in another thread.
Now for Root Cause:
When we got back to the boat I noticed that the broker had shut down nearly all of the 12V switches on the panel. Didn't think much of it as I fired things up again. I also confirmed that the FWD A/C was tripping the breaker immediately, as he had told me.
Ran through my standard checks - bilge
pumps working, no water
where it shouldn't be etc. Switched on the shower
drain sumps and the FWD pump ran for a bit longer than normal. Didn't think much of it.
Next day I started to tackle the FWD A/C unit problem. Visual inspection
seemed normal. That's when I started my successful smoke test of the logic board.
Yesterday as I removed the old unit, I noticed the rusty bath tub ring around it. Hmm, dry under the berth where it is, no issue there. Then it hit me.... The condensate drain is routed to the FWD shower sump
- which had of course been switched off.
The logic board is mounted outside of the drain pan, but the compressor wiring
lays in the pan and is probably the reason for all the smoke. I won't know for sure until I can bench test it during the refurb
. It did run (apparently) normally just prior to the smoke coming out.
Lesson Learned: Running the condensate drain to the shower sump
IS a good idea. BUT you should have an "overflow" exit hole at the right level in the pan so that water
can spillover into the bilge
as a last resort. A wet bilge is less expensive than a wet A/C unit.....