Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2019, 16:36   #1

Boat: Passport 40
product available for eye roll prevention

I have to ask. Is there a product on the market that prevents you from rolling your eyes when people start telling you things that you know are too impossible to be true, or as a women, asking where your husband is, "because it is complicated and you wouldn't understand"

My favorite was the other day a gentleman asked to come on the boat while it was on the hard. I was on the opposite side of the cockpit doing something and I told him to come on up. He got to the bottom of the ladder and asked, "Is this secure?" (insert eye roll). no I think the lines holding the ladder to the cleats on the boat make a nice accent to the doger....
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 17:19   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: product available for eye roll prevention

Aw, cut the guy some slack, he merely didn't want to fall off. Some people are scared of ladders.

No eye roll needed, but you might have told him you've gone up and down more times than you wish! Ever forget the right tool for the job and have to climb all the way back up and go find it and then hump it back down?

You'll feel better when haulout time is finished and the boat glides smoothly through the water, like new!

Here's an eye roll one for you. The woman is up at the spreader, sewing on that spreader boot, the boat's tied up in a berth in a marina. Another woman has come down the dock, to within easy ear shot of the first one. She says, "You shouldn't be up there doing that. That's for your husband to do." A member of the cruising yacht club, she was, and it was definitely time for a major eye roll. Speechless.

(Wasn't me, but a close friend.)

Ann

PS. I don't even want an eye roll prevention product. The mind boggles! Far better to roll away, and let them see themselves as others see them.
Old 18-04-2019, 18:09   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Sarcasm is your best defence against the idiots.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 05:54   #4

Here's you sign...
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 09:13   #5
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

When confronted by ordinary naiveté, try a personal dose of humility. We all started from the same place: square one. Here's your chance to be a mentor; not haughty, arrogant, overly sensitive, and strident. People have been sailing since before the invention of the wheel - it's not like you invented the art.

If you're offended by being underestimated, try understanding that not everyone takes your vaunted skills as seriously as you -- or even knows what those skills are. It's more than a bit egotistical and narcissistic to expect high respect from a stranger. Real experts tend to be humble, apprehending how much they don't yet know.

For truely balderdash sea stories like: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f106/hi-tahiti-dingbats-found-after-5-months-192907.html, sit back and enjoy. There are some among us who emulate Baron Munchausen to get attention. If someone wants to spin a yarn and entertain you with a modern Greek tragedy, why protest?

And if you're looking for support because of a widely shared slight, a little introspection about why you're dwelling on such things might be appropriate.

Ignorance is only temporary, while stupidity is permanent. Overreacting to a display of simple ignorance may indicate the person reacting has the more permanent affliction.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 11:33   #6

Capt Pat, love your attitude, I'd like to think I act like you recommend. Beautiful writing style and well said.
NotreVoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 11:44   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The sentiment is reasonable. My daughter was regularly offended with lubbers who would try to tell her how to tie up or dock a boat.

But the example (is a ladder secure?) is a poor one. I've known people to fall when something was not secure, some considerable distances (50'). Climbers always check each other's knots. I've been around lots of construction sites where a catwalk was still under construction. So asking if something "is secure" should not be taken as an insult.

But yes, I respect the point. I roll my eyes when I overhear comments directed at my daughter. She's short and still looks young. But it will probably never change.

Curiously, I get the same comments when I go rock climbing, because I'm too old. Well, I may not be as strong as I once was, but my skill set is deeper.
Old 19-04-2019, 12:11   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

During my lifetime of meeting all kinds of people and the four most low key, non boasting type people I've met were all retired military. Two were former nuclear aircraft carrier captains, one was a West Point graduate and Valedictorian. The fourth was a female astronaut who had served on two missions on the International Space Station, and not a single one of them advertised it.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 12:32   #9

Sunglasses.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 12:39   #10

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Where's your husband? OMG!
And I get some of the same when I ask about recipes. Some people want to tell my spouse.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 14:46   #11

Why would you allow a perfect stranger to come aboard without a reason?
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 15:23   #12

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

The third time I was stationed at Fort Knox I was working on manuals for Cavalry and Tank maneuver at the platoon and company level. One day one of the Ph.Ds came over and asked me if loading the main gun is an important task for a tanker and if it should be included in a tank training manual!

Needless to say my curiosity was aroused and I asked what they were doing. It turns out that they were developing the new TM (Technical Manual) for what was supposed to be a new light tank, the XM-8 (It never went into production). I had to explain that without the main gun being loaded, one could not shoot the bad guys. This didn't satisfy them because their next question was how could they justify including that task. Logic didn't work so I said no one will question the inclusion of that task, but if they did, to just tell them that I said it was all right. Although the logic didn't work, knowing that they could say I said so made them happy!

I got several eye rolls out of that one question. I was nice though and explained everything clearly with no sarcasm. They were good people. Cpt Pat's comments in his last paragraph are spot on!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 15:25   #13

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

I smell WWS.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 15:41   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
I have to ask. Is there a product on the market that prevents you from rolling your eyes when people start telling you things that you know .........
Yes, why yes there most certainly is! It’s called

Botox
Old 19-04-2019, 23:21   #15

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Does this post have anything at all to do about sailing, cruising, boating or watersports at all? Moderator, please close it. The title suggests it would be a serious question about a medical issue that occurs while on the ocean waves.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote