Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 03:09   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Pride Goeth Before the Fall

Dockhead

I learned (do not ask me how I learned) a long time ago. That bow thrusters are an enigma. When you really don't need them - thye work fine and easily turn the bows to where you want them. When you really need them, no matter how powerful they are, they simply will no have the power to turn your boat.

Sigh.

As I noted above - don't ask how i know this. These days I simply act like the bow thruster isn't there and I get in a lot less trouble than I used to when I actually used the damned thing

Glad you made it out OK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:24   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Great reminder Dockhead.
(now I know how you got your name) [emoji1]

There is a saying amongst professional Superyacht captains who put these floating wedding cakes into impossibly small marina berths in all kinds of weather
"You are only as good as your last docking"

I have always disagreed and suggest, we are only as good as our next one!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:51   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Would have been some big tides yesterday afternoon. the RN kindly put a percentage alongside the tide times give users a clue on how much water is both moving and low little might be left at low tide:

DaysTides | Royal Navy

Barometer is dropping like mad on Friday, going to be a wet weekend.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:00   #19

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If no one is around, it doesn't matter if it's a hurricane and I need to do a 180 in a fairway 1" wider than the boat is long. It will go perfectly he first try.

For some reason, put an audience on the dock and....
This!!!

I have one buddy who thinks I don't have enough experience for the size boat I have... and damn, the way I maneuver when he's aboard, he's frickin' right!!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:31   #20

Boat: Feltz Scorpion II

We have all been there, some of us will get there again.....

Reminds me of the time I tried to back out of the slip with my aft spring still attached - everything went well until the bow was level with the end of the finger, when suddenly I stopped dead and started turning in the direction I wanted to go. I quickly cast of the spring and tried to pretend that it was a planned move. Don't think I fooled anybody :-)

Regards
Michael
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:33   #21

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If no one is around, it doesn't matter if it's a hurricane and I need to do a 180 in a fairway 1" wider than the boat is long. It will go perfectly he first try.

For some reason, put an audience on the dock and....
When entering a marina I try to think, this is the guy that needs two tries to get in. That should stop me making some strange heroic manoeuvres when trying to save my face and do it at one go (to make an impression on the audience that is counting the number of attempts). This plan may also make my first try quite stress free since I anyway plan to make it only at the second try. As a bonus I probably have a well thought out backup plan, in case my first try after all fails as expected. And if all goes well, they still think I'm the best captain of the marina.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 14:19   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

When I used to teach docking to students on Cal 20s in Vancouver BC ...my advice if something went wrong .....was to aim for something cheap
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 14:50   #23

Boat: Fusion 40

In aviation there is a saying that you start your flying career with a bag of luck which is full and a bag of experience which is empty. It is hoped the bag of experience fills up before the bag of luck runs out.
Scrubby
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:03   #24

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Every time I think I have it, I don't! Good old Murphy's law. If anything can go wrong, it will. f In some way, it is comforting to know I am not the only one. I guess misery loves company. The good side is that we manage to keep all the onlookers entertained and give them something to talk about. Some for you. Some against.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:47   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Being able to laugh at yourself builds Karma points. I used to teach docking, both sail and power, and it still scares the hell out of me at times. Overconfidence is the killer. Never be too proud to ask for help. Enjoyed your post.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 13:47   #26

Boat: Mumby 48

Thanks for the post Dockhed. Generates some thought. Yarmouth provokes memories here in Australia. I was 'a professional' for 10 years in the Whitsundays, cool on the outside and .... on the inside in hairy conditions. What got me by was lot and lots of fenders & knowing where potential willing helpers were on the dock - best if they matched up to a rugby Number 8 .... humility in your planning is better than embarrassment afterwards. Reckon you did nothing wrong, its all valuable experience, thank you for sharing. NB. Able Point Marina in Queensland used to charge A$ 80.00 per metre for any damage to dock fendering - that was 25 years ago!
allatsea99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 18:29   #27

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

I hate docking. Still learning to back in. But there is always a dock neighbor to lend a hand. The one time I aced it, nobody was around to witness it!