Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2010, 05:19   #1

Boat: '92' 2006' Custom build oak/teak 25mt loa ketch - NOVA
Picks and Rocks

3 days after launching my timber modern classic ketch from a 12month US$500K refit I'm on the pick at Icmeler, Bodrums ship building region. Weathers good, a steady 8 knot breeze blowing in from the Aegean. I'm sitting about 150mts offshore with 12mts under my keel.

I've done a couple of brief sea trial runs on my new 260hp Iveco since the launch testing and commissioning all my new systems. I planned this morning to check the coupling alignment.
I've got a fully enclosed engine room lined with 50mm acoustic blanket so sound both ways is zapped. I had lifted the salon ER hatch and the aft bulkhead door to chartroom was open.

30mins into my task I had all the flex coupling bolts out preparing to slide a feeler gauge clearance. The 2.5" shaft dosen't want to let go the coupling.

I heard some distant shouting but Turks are always shouting so it goes in/out. I'm focused on my job working the coupling back, more shouting, "noisy buggers should piss off" then I heard my yacht's name. Thought one of my mad mates was wanting me to pick them up from the beach so down tools, climbed topside.
The beach, rocks and small reef were 15mt max of my stern and closing at walking pace.

My pick had dragged when I've let go my only mean of drive. No sails on board, new ones still being sewn and my shaft is unhooked.
Long story fast laned to short I got 2 bolts in started up drove fwd then slowly circled until I could reverse of the beach so not to foul my own line. I reversed out 700mt before stopping to reset.

I remember feeling my keel (draft 2.4mt)starting to bump as I was doing up those 2 bolts
That day I learned to never ever again trust a 75lb CQR 75lb or 85lb Delta or any pick in deep sea grass.
watchkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 06:59   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Some days Neptune smiles. How are you sleeping now?
Hope you entered a précis in the Ships Log. Just in case you need a reminder! Ever!
Old 28-05-2010, 22:34   #3

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
It's a sickening feeling having things rub your boat from below. I got attacked by a kraken once. In hindsight it may have been submerged pilings.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 23:15   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I think I just posted on another thread about our pulling back on the anchor at 2,000rpm for 2 minutes.

Works

Glad your boat is oK

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 03:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Some days Neptune smiles. How are you sleeping now?
Hope you entered a précis in the Ships Log. Just in case you need a reminder! Ever!
The months following that event I spent doing a solo around the Aegean mostly just island hoping, my long overdue vacation before starting on the next project. Occasionally I would do a 2-3 day non stop, and honestly the best three months ever.
But if I wasn't along side I admit I sleeped every single night in the cockpit...and every 30mins I would sit up, check my shore light markers, even with GPS alarmed, sonar alarmed I couldn't sleep below. And it gets worse, I'm currently in an apartment on the 19th Floor overlooking Dalian harbour and during last winter the fog horns...I'd sit up from sleep and check my bloody position!
Old 29-05-2010, 03:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think I just posted on another thread about our pulling back on the anchor at 2,000rpm for 2 minutes.

Works

Glad your boat is oK
Thanks Mark, how are you enjoying Turkey. I had some great experiences in Turkey and made life long friends that are still loitering at Sunga's in Bodrum. Hope to get back there later this year for another sail/cruise.
Old 29-05-2010, 05:50   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchkeeper View Post
Thanks Mark, how are you enjoying Turkey.
Its great, thanks

We were lucky and did a number of untouristed spots first, north of the Dardinelles. Was wonderful, no one spoke English, no one cared for our oney, they just inlcuded us as part of life.

Just arrived in Marmaris about a week ago so plunged back into the tourist areas. We will do a few weeks much needed work on the boat before heading west.
Today we walked along the beach to the tursits hotels/resutrants towards Icmeler! Funny! But the competition makes for great prices! So we had great English style foof and cheapest beer in turkey included was deck chair on the beach. Was just so funny

At Icmeler we did look, but, no, no stranded boats on the rocks!!!

Mark

Old 29-05-2010, 07:16   #8

Quote:
So we had great English style foof
Foof?

Do tell.....
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 08:07   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Foof?

Do tell.....

Hmmmm. Did I mention the beer was cheap??????

Old 29-05-2010, 08:24   #10

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I thought it was food on the hoof, No? Or fried hoof? No? Just the beer.
Old 29-05-2010, 09:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I thought it was food on the hoof, No? Or fried hoof? No? Just the beer.
You've got to be careful in them forrin places - fried hoof is most likely. I'm convinced that they don't eat sheep's eyes out east, they just have the legend that it is a delicacy to see how gullible westerners are....

Quote:
Hmmmm. Did I mention the beer was cheap??????
That's to make sure you don't notice the fried hoof.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 09:43   #12
Long Range Cruiser

It was actually a "Full English Breakfast" even though it was lunchtime... and it had a first bacon we have had since we left Australia!! Its was sensational! And cost 4.5 Lira.... about USD$2.90 and the beer was about $2.

Old 30-05-2010, 19:23   #13

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Lol...I appreciated your story Watchkeeper.
Old 30-05-2010, 20:44   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Great story! Good job getting her to safety. Would love to see some pictures, She sounds like a beauty.
Erika
Old 30-05-2010, 22:41   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchkeeper View Post
3 days after launching my timber modern classic ketch from a 12month US$500K refit I'm on the pick at Icmeler, Bodrums ship building region. Weathers good, a steady 8 knot breeze blowing in from the Aegean. I'm sitting about 150mts offshore with 12mts under my keel.

I've done a couple of brief sea trial runs on my new 260hp Iveco since the launch testing and commissioning all my new systems. I planned this morning to check the coupling alignment.
I've got a fully enclosed engine room lined with 50mm acoustic blanket so sound both ways is zapped. I had lifted the salon ER hatch and the aft bulkhead door to chartroom was open.

30mins into my task I had all the flex coupling bolts out preparing to slide a feeler gauge clearance. The 2.5" shaft dosen't want to let go the coupling.

I heard some distant shouting but Turks are always shouting so it goes in/out. I'm focused on my job working the coupling back, more shouting, "noisy buggers should piss off" then I heard my yacht's name. Thought one of my mad mates was wanting me to pick them up from the beach so down tools, climbed topside.
The beach, rocks and small reef were 15mt max of my stern and closing at walking pace.

My pick had dragged when I've let go my only mean of drive. No sails on board, new ones still being sewn and my shaft is unhooked.
Long story fast laned to short I got 2 bolts in started up drove fwd then slowly circled until I could reverse of the beach so not to foul my own line. I reversed out 700mt before stopping to reset.

I remember feeling my keel (draft 2.4mt)starting to bump as I was doing up those 2 bolts
That day I learned to never ever again trust a 75lb CQR 75lb or 85lb Delta or any pick in deep sea grass.
A hair-raising story. Glad your boat's ok.

I think a 75 or 85 pound anchor is far too small for a 90 foot gulet. Just a thought. I've done a lot of anchoring in the Gulf of Gokova and never had any problem with the holding. It's all sand without any sea grass I ever saw. I think you might want to focus attention on your ground tackle.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote