Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 01:18   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Patience

Ready to sail south. Planned to spend the winter at a quiet little marina. Wind and weather forecast perfect for an offshore solo. Less than 200 miles. Easy couple of days,

My lady decides to go with me but wants to do the ditch. Not a problem. We make 30 miles the first day. Got a late start but dropped anchor in a nice spot.

Slept in, then filled up with fuel. Made 30 miles and stopped at a restaurant with dock. Had a nice meal, slept a few hours and cast off lines around 1:30 am.

I hadn't gone far when my water pump">raw water pump seal on the engine started to leak and throw salt water into the back of the electrical panel. Covered what I could and found a good place to drop anchor and catch a little more sleep.

Up before dawn getting tools and parts together. I had bearings and seal to rebuild pump. This would be third rebuild in 3 years. It seems spring in seal won't last in seawater.

Should have stopped for a nap after tear down. Everything went smooth but addled from not sleeping.

Pulled bonehead mistake on pump. Didn't expect repair to last. It didn't. 5 hours of running it's leaking again.

Now in a transient slip. New pump on order. 2week estimated delivery. Boat buck at least.

I sleep better on the hook
Old 06-12-2015, 09:22   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
..I had bearings and seal to rebuild pump. This would be third rebuild in 3 years. It seems spring in seal won't last in seawater.
This doesn't seem right to me. Silly question, so pardon me for asking it; but are you sure you either have the right seal for that pump or it is being installed the correct way?

Also, why is the electrical panel so close to where it could be exposed to the engine or salt water spray? Not to make your life harder, but these are the issues I would look into further, before fixing in place.

Hope you get everything repaired and can continue on your trip!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:54   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Many of us replace the springs in those seals with appropriate sized o-rings. Most seal shops will do this for you when you purchase the seals.

Jim
Old 06-12-2015, 14:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Many of us replace the springs in those seals with appropriate sized o-rings. Most seal shops will do this for you when you purchase the seals.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I had read that but had not chased down the proper orings. Misplaced priorities, like not having designed a suitable cover for the back of the panel.

This seems to be a trip for re-learning old lessons. I know well that if I fail to cover known bases, Murphy's Law is waiting in the wings with a gotcha or 5. Serves me right.

Hopefully, the new pump will be on its way in a couple of days and I can get the seal seat sleeved on the old one once I get to Corpus.

I sleep better on the hook
Old 13-12-2015, 18:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
This doesn't seem right to me. Silly question, so pardon me for asking it; but are you sure you either have the right seal for that pump or it is being installed the correct way?

Also, why is the electrical panel so close to where it could be exposed to the engine or salt water spray? Not to make your life harder, but these are the issues I would look into further, before fixing in place.

Hope you get everything repaired and can continue on your trip!

Sorry for the delayed reply. Inner, outer and depth dimensions of the seal are correct. As Jim mentioned I should have replaced spring with oring because of the corrosive nature of raw water.

Installation of the seal is done with a block of wood and a rubber mallet.

The back of the electric panel is open to the engine room and is +-18" from the raw water pump. I have considered but not made a tri-fold plexiglass cover for the back.

Again, misplaced priorities.

A new pump is supposed to get here tomorrow.

It has been a pleasant stay so far. Rowing my dink around the harbor and riding the bikes.

Waiting on parts for the 4-154

Tags
enc