Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 07:32   #1

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
One Mans Ceiling

We've all or probably most all have heard term,
"One Mans Ceiling Is Another Mans Floor"
well with what I've been reading here lately, with all the negitivity,
it seems this is the right time to post this story.

We had just purchased "R3" about 6 months earlier, brought her down to San Francisco to do a major up-grade to her systems.. spent 100k on her to start and another 50 or so in goodies, New VHF, SSB, standing rigging, new sails, solor, dodger and bimini, and so on......
so we're off to mexico on our first BIG adventure.. And about 4 to 5 hours out of Montery we hit fog,,,, nasty, thick, wet fog..
All night long I staired at the Radar and getting spooked by my lights on the bow flashing back at me in the fog.. I wouldnt let the wife take over as I was to afraid she wouldnt be able to handle the stress, and for that matter, I couldnt sleep anyway..
The next morning the fog broke as we rounded the mile marker bouy at Port San Luis... drop anchor and turned everything off.. and for the first time in my life, I was ready to walk away from this Damn boat.
I didnt care about the money spent, or time involved, I was pissed off that this boat had take so much from me, and I was in the worst shape I had ever been in my life.. and it all happened in about 30 hours in the fog..
That afternoon I was setting at the picnic table, on shore, looking out at "R3" and wondering just how far the bus station was so we could go back home, to the security of our house..
And then a fellow traveler sat down across from me.. we talked and I mentioned how disturbed I was with the trip and how I was about to walk away..
He started to laugh and said if a little fog was going to run me off, I didnt need to be on the water..
He then went on to tell me that he followed me down the coast and had me on his radar the whole trip..
and then the shock, and the realization hit me when He Said, "It was the BEST trip he had ever had comming down the coast"
and he went on to tell me that you cvant see anything so why try, just set your alarm on yourradar for 6 miles and grab a good book to read..
So the trip down the coast was the worst trip I've ever had but for someone only a few miles behind me, it was his best trip.
So when you get discouraged with the project, or the boat in itself, take a look around you, there's probably someone outside the fence looking in, dreaming of the day he can be in your spot..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:40   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: One Mans Ceiling

THAT is one of the best stories I've read so far on this forum!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:20   #3

Boat: Heritage 35

Puts it all in peerspective doesn't it?
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:30   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Kind of falls into that "don't worry about stuff you can't do anything about" world.

Kind of like when I sail at night or during periods where the waves/wind make it so I can not see the lobster pot floats, I just stop looking for them and put them out on my mind!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:37   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

So true! It is all a matter of perspective.

The fear factor is one thing that does need to be faced though. This hasn't abated much despite five plus years of full time cruising. Hate it at times, but the aftermath feels oh so good! That contrast is part of the appeal of life on the water.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:56   #6

Spot on! Great post. And being out of Morro Bay I know that coast like the back of my hand. It really is a matter of perspective.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Spot on! Great post. And being out of Morro Bay I know that coast like the back of my hand. It really is a matter of perspective.
Morro Bay. Now that is a harbor I hated to come into or go out of. When I was a student at Poly my wife and I lived in Morro Bay. Our back porch looked out over the Bay and, from our height, we could easily see the conditions at the entrance by the Rock. More than once I stood up there with binoculars and watched some impatient boat owner circle outside, where he couldn't see the break, waiting for an apparent lull to get into that channel, and thinking to myself: "...god man, don't even think about it!"
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:13   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46

What an inspiring story. Next time I'm feeling low I'll remind myself that there are always two ways of looking at the same situation.
Bill4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:13   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Morro Bay. Now that is a harbor I hated to come into or go out of. When I was a student at Poly my wife and I lived in Morro Bay. Our back porch looked out over the Bay and, from our height, we could easily see the conditions at the entrance by the Rock. More than once I stood up there with binoculars and watched some impatient boat owner circle outside, where he couldn't see the break, waiting for an apparent lull to get into that channel, and thinking to myself: "...god man, don't even think about it!"
We got blown out of Stillwater Cove in a gale, and decided to up anchor at 0200h and head south for Morro Bay. Spent the entire next day surfing 14' swells with just the storm jib. When we got close to MB the following night, the Coast Guard issued a pan-pan saying that the harbor bar was breaking and that they'd closed the harbor.

Turning into Port of San Luis we had the same experience as the OP. Fog lifted right at the moment we entered the channel. Most glorious stars I ever saw.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:08   #10

Boat: Looking...

Great story. Reminded me that I have got to get off the dime and decide on which boat to purchase, and get back out there.

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
We've all or probably most all have heard term,
"One Mans Ceiling Is Another Mans Floor"
well with what I've been reading here lately, with all the negitivity,
it seems this is the right time to post this story.

We had just purchased "R3" about 6 months earlier, brought her down to San Francisco to do a major up-grade to her systems.. spent 100k on her to start and another 50 or so in goodies, New VHF, SSB, standing rigging, new sails, solor, dodger and bimini, and so on......
so we're off to mexico on our first BIG adventure.. And about 4 to 5 hours out of Montery we hit fog,,,, nasty, thick, wet fog..
All night long I staired at the Radar and getting spooked by my lights on the bow flashing back at me in the fog.. I wouldnt let the wife take over as I was to afraid she wouldnt be able to handle the stress, and for that matter, I couldnt sleep anyway..
The next morning the fog broke as we rounded the mile marker bouy at Port San Luis... drop anchor and turned everything off.. and for the first time in my life, I was ready to walk away from this Damn boat.
I didnt care about the money spent, or time involved, I was pissed off that this boat had take so much from me, and I was in the worst shape I had ever been in my life.. and it all happened in about 30 hours in the fog..
That afternoon I was setting at the picnic table, on shore, looking out at "R3" and wondering just how far the bus station was so we could go back home, to the security of our house..
And then a fellow traveler sat down across from me.. we talked and I mentioned how disturbed I was with the trip and how I was about to walk away..
He started to laugh and said if a little fog was going to run me off, I didnt need to be on the water..
He then went on to tell me that he followed me down the coast and had me on his radar the whole trip..
and then the shock, and the realization hit me when He Said, "It was the BEST trip he had ever had comming down the coast"
and he went on to tell me that you cvant see anything so why try, just set your alarm on yourradar for 6 miles and grab a good book to read..
So the trip down the coast was the worst trip I've ever had but for someone only a few miles behind me, it was his best trip.
So when you get discouraged with the project, or the boat in itself, take a look around you, there's probably someone outside the fence looking in, dreaming of the day he can be in your spot..
Good story and very true. Staring at fog at night is pointless when you have a radar with a generous guard setting and it's better if you simply keep an "audio watch" (don't wear headphones) in such conditions.

I will say you aren't alone in being someone who fitted out the boat to go to Antarctica without doing enough sailing in sketchy conditions first to see if you could take it, either cheerfully or not.

Glad you met that guy with the contrarian point of view.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:38   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

yep good story, know the feeling !
Hope you get back out there
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:56   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Just imagine the feeling without radar. The OP happens to be a friend of mine and I can tell you that he really inspires me from time to time. He has also done a lot of canvas work for me and encouraged me to learn to sew. So I bought a Pfaff 230 and he has patiently taught me a few things. One day there were three of us in his shop...all sitting at sewing machines. A woman from a business next door to him came in. We all laughed at the irony of seeing 3 men sewing rather than women... I'm glad you stuck it out.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:26   #14

Bravo -dissoi logi (opposite sides to every argument).

Great post - we most often are our worst enemies (doubt, fear, anxiety , stress).

Bookmarked for a bad day when I need to read
Old 11-11-2012, 23:51   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Great Post!

Thanks for that true life story.

Radar is a wonderful thing. I didn't have it on my first transpacific crossing and ran into lots of fog up near the Straits of Juan de Fuca. I'm certainly glad the big guys had it and that I was able to miss the rocks just south of the entry in time. Fog is a bit scary when approaching a shoreline without radar or GPS. (These were the days before GPS)

Good hearing is a good thing to have. You know you're a little close when you can hear the waves breaking on the shoreline.