Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2007, 09:12   #16

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Not for nothing, but I have a prestart check list that I always go thru prior to starting. One of the items is, Main Water Intake Valve - ON. I certainly dont mean to be a Monday Morning quarterback, but I was a private pilot for a while maybe it comes from that. And my son who is a B-52 Pilot has pounded into my head to use check llists.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 10:02   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yep check lists are a good thing. Another to place on a check list is to check for lines in the water, especially over the stern. I used to do that one as well. We have the inflatable hanging from Davits over the stern and lines could possibly get blown over the back, or someone may not have tidied up properly after using the inflatable. It maybe a long shot to happen, but if it can, it will someday. But complacency can easily creep in and bite you.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 10:20   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Alan,
I'm one of those guys that is starting to need more and more lists and can't rely on my memory as much. Hope your engine turns out to be ok - got my fingers crossed for you. You had another bit of luck with your two stroke too. Good on you.
I will have to have a way of knowing that my salt water cooling water valve is open and my exhaust valve is open before I push the start button when I get my boat back in the water. My exhaust comes out the port side of the hull and I like to keep it closed while sailing. I had a friend with a big diesel in his Marco Polo which had side discharged exhaust. He flooded his engine once and then the new owner flooded his engine too. They had not opened the exhaust valve.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 10:32   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Alan,
I'm one of those guys that is starting to need more and more lists and can't rely on my memory as much...JohnL
I also,
and
If I don't make it easy to do, there's a good chance I won't do it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 10:46   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Getting older certainly has some drawbacks.
So have any of you installed water flow monitoring devices? I have seen one, but was not impressed with both the price and how it worked. It had a little lever thingy that the flow of water pushed against and the lever pushed a micro switch. Very basic but ver expensive.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 11:09   #21

Boat: Norseman 447
Both my last two yachts have a tell tale water jet going over the side where helmsman can see it, taken off raw water riser, allows quick visual check of water flow, very handy
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 11:43   #22

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Alan,

I do have a few questions.

1. Why did you not shut the engine down and drop the anchor or raise the sails immediately (maybe I missed something)?

2. Why would you introduce cold water to an already over-heated engine?

Anyone could forget to open a thru-hull. In fact, it is actually quite common (on some vessels) to suck someting (like a plastic bag) up to the thru-hull and stop the water intake. I was with a friend one time when that happened on his boat while motoring out of Marina Del Rey channel, here in CA.

He shut down the engine (actually had to cover the intake because turning off the key didn't do the trick) while I got the jib out. We sailed to a safe spot, dropped the hook and dealt with the problem. Thankfully he had a spare impeller because the old one was damaged by running dry.

We allowed the engine to cool for about an hour before restarting. Introducing cold water to a hot engine can sometimes crack or warp a cylinder head or blow a head gasket.

You're one lucky guy if that's all the damage that was done (other than your ego).

BTW, thanks for sharing. These types of discussions are bound to be helpful to some.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 11:50   #23

Boat: custom 75' ferro yacht
Quote:
But the engine temp guage was good.
This is causing me some concern in this sorry affair.

Why should the temperature gauge be 'good' when there's no seawater going through the heat exchanger and into the exhaust - and you're overheating and blowing pipes.

The engine and whole system was getting cooked.

Why wasn't that temperature gauge off the dial.

The Temperature Gauge - and even a buzzer or bell alarm - to give an audible alarm - even a couple of 'temp' sensors (they're cheap) strategically placed - in the system - should give you enough notice to stop and find out what's wrong.

Anything to warn you something is wrong. I've got a separate bilge water high - float switch connected straight to a 'factory bell' that's so loud it scares the hell out of me whenever I test it - but you get the idea.

That gauge was either not working - or lying.

No Alan - there's been a failure of the warning systems mate - you may have left the hull valve shut - but that Temperature gauge is **......ed - and is greatly to blame for letting you go on - until more damage was done.

Rodney
yachtrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 11:52   #24

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
1. Why did you not shut the engine down and drop the anchor or raise the sails immediately (maybe I missed something)?
I have to say I was wondering the same thing Alan.

When our intake got blocked the other day I stopped the motor as soon as I realised. We were coming over the Mana bar. I pulled out some gib and sailed into the marina. We opened all the hatches and gave it time to cool. See post:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/chewed-up-spat-out-5871.html

The impellor was toast.

Another time I anchored in the channel when the temp alarm went off.
Old 17-12-2007, 11:57   #25

The sensor for the temp gauge may be too far up the water line (cold end at the beginning) and not in the gutz of the motor? Maybe as it was reading ok because there was no water on it? Either way it must need some serious calibrating or be dispatched to "Davey Jones Locker" (note Rodney, Pirate Term)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtrodney View Post
This is causing me some concern in this sorry affair.

Why should the temperature gauge be 'good' when there's no seawater going through the heat exchanger and into the exhaust - and you're overheating and blowing pipes.

The engine and whole system was getting cooked.

Why wasn't that temperature gauge off the dial.

The Temperature Gauge - and even a buzzer or bell alarm - to give an audible alarm - even a couple of 'temp' sensors (they're cheap) strategically placed - in the system - should give you enough notice to stop and find out what's wrong.

Anything to warn you something is wrong. I've got a separate bilge water high - float switch connected straight to a 'factory bell' that's so loud it scares the hell out of me whenever I test it - but you get the idea.

That gauge was either not working - or lying.

No Alan - there's been a failure of the warning systems mate - you may have left the hull valve shut - but that Temperature gauge is **......ed - and is greatly to blame for letting you go on - until more damage was done.

Rodney
Old 17-12-2007, 12:11   #26

Na rodney, Allan will be at work. You guys are two hours behind us. It is 9.10am here at the moment. It is only 7.10am where you are. What are you doing up?
Old 17-12-2007, 12:21   #27

That's right seafox - as soon as I posted it - I 'woke up' - and took it down - it's me that's got the 'old timers'. I suppose you reckon you're always ahead of us.
Old 17-12-2007, 12:24   #28

Wouldn't say that. Half of the Country are leaving here to go and live in Aussie
Mind you I read that when that happens the average IQ of both Country's increases
Old 17-12-2007, 13:05   #29

I see also that he's running a Vetus Water Lock in the exhaust system - you wouldn't think it would be that hard to fit a sensor to that (although I don't suppose anyone does) - to tell you that it's not running through at normal temp.

But then how far do we realistically need to go. You can install 50 sensors.

It comes down to what's sensible and reasonable - and really - we and Alan know - that about the first thing we always all do - after we start the engine - just because we're generally paranoid anyway - is go and look over the side and see if water is coming out the exhaust OK.

Maybe we just like to see water shooting/spraying out - but it's always a 'pleasing' sight.

It will be the one time - you don't check - like this - that there'll be none.
Old 17-12-2007, 13:32   #30

Nothing like that re assuring gush of water splurting out of the exhaust when you fire the motor.
Quote:
Maybe we just like to see water shooting/spraying out - but it's always a 'pleasing' sight.