Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2011, 06:44   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Offshore Banking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
The problem was not the fault of the IRS. If you have to get mad at someone, get mad at the broker. As for the IRS having your money, it sometimes can take several months to get it allstraightened out. If they took what you owe them, I seriously doubt that you will get any of it back. It will be credited against your account though. If they owe you money, you will get your money eventually (several months) but they will add interest onto it. I was surprised once when I finally got my overpayment money back from them and it was a higher amount than they owed me - they automatically added interest to it.
Why do you say its the broker's fault? The OP indicated it was the IRS ...

Quote:
sabray said:

The IRS which has been very good to work with goes oops yeh we shouldn't have done that our bad.they are trying to set it straight.
Old 15-07-2011, 10:59   #17

Boat: HiStar, Sundeck, 48 feet--

Greetings fellow Mariners—time to share ….

Based on 30 years in the trenches of THE LAW—would add….

Battling any Tax Assessment in any country--

1. Get the Best Advocate.. In this case—A Tax Attorney—with at least 10 years experience-admitted to the United States District Court and United States Court of Appeals for that District-….Early in the dispute—As to that cost-I have hired Attorney’s Attorneys…and money well spent…. is a joy.

2. Brokers are sued all the time and their Insurance Coverage---S.B.S… SETTLES BEFORE the STINK—Since Banks/Insurance/Brokerages are now vertically integrated- {thanks Republicans}-
Read the history of the Sherman Antitrust Act-

Conscious parallelism-

Betcha-most of you Boat Owners/Captains carefully plan the tax future of the vessel-

1. Customs fees-
2. Cruising permit fees-
3. Nationality of the vessel-{lots of British Virgin Islands flags flying}-

BUT ….How much thought to the Captain’s tax universe-

As we used to say in the Coal Mines, when we got out the sledge hammer….Hit Smart, not Hard.
Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
LexLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 11:20   #18

Boat: PETERSON 44
It was a bit of everyones fault. The broker made a mistake sloppy. The IRS acted because preset time frame was passed. The time frame was theirs to complete the review. So they made a big mistake. Then the bank refused to restore the funds because the IRS didn't fill out the form properly. Bank made a mistake by filling the form in the trash. The bank is bad because I as a customer could not find anyone to look into and follow the progress. I explained I was having communication problems because of my location. Bad bailed out bank. I will be looking for a mid sized bank that prides itself on customer support. I made a mistake by not getting a pro in the first place it seemed like a real simple mistake to correct. Although I had checked awhile back on the status I should have checked again. I should have sailed straight to block island rather then beating to windward on the jersey coast.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 12:00   #19

Boat: C&C Newport 41

everyone thought i was insane when i installed a safe on my boat but i wanted to be able to keep 3 months worth of cash on hand (plus cash for repairs etc) and dont want to worry about getting robbed.
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 15:42   #20

End of this story.
Instead of going to block Island I diverted and worked the cell signals off the Jersey shore. I really was banking offshore. Great sailing until barnegat where a cold front came down and I slammed and beat my way to new york and through the east river. The Jersey chop was relentless twas a slog. The wave period is short and walls steep. sometimes they double up and you fall then everything is water. Hours and lonely hours of pounding and watchin. I was tired but not not exhausted. clipped the tides just so and drifted up the river.
Funds were restored. Today 5 months later in my monthly follow up phone conversation I was informed The IRS has closed the case and agree I did not make 1.5 million in 2007. Kinda wish I did make that kinda money but at least Im not in the sinker to the IRS for over a half mil. Bank of America never refunded the bounced check fees. Sailed long island sound and up the Connecticut river. Really no moral except it is better to have access to a bank that cares then an institution of mindless drones. I was impressed with the IRS thogh they screwed up their staff was always calm and informative often helpful. Hope I never have to deal with that again.
Old 21-12-2011, 17:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
End of this story.
Bank of America never refunded the bounced check fees.
First mistake was having BOA to begin with...
Had my debit card stolen at work.. found out right after Hurricane Jeanne when I tried to pay for gasoline. BOA refunded stolen money but not the check fees. I removed my $$ immed and put it in USAA.
I was rewarded for that last Aug when my son had his USAA acct and his Fort Bragg credit union hit by another soldier while he was deployed.. (soldier is also deployed with my son)
FBCU never even blinked as thousands went out of my kids accts.. USAA sent both of us an email asking if the $8.75 that was charged to his acct via the internet from A'stan was legit.. it was not..
FBCU refunded the money, only after I drove up there from Fla and pretty much danced on desks. <--metaphor, I called the General who is on the BOD. HE did the desk dancing.
Cannot reccomend USAA or Navy Federal Credit Union more..
Anyone can use USAA bank.. btw... cust serv reps are oustanding and amazingly helpful.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 18:00   #22

I see no mention of a broker....? Am I missing something? At any rate, get a lawyer.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 18:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I see no mention of a broker....? Am I missing something? At any rate, get a lawyer.....
Broker misfiled in 2007. I dumped before things went bad. Cost basis was f'd up. Yes I made money but my filing was right.Twas ffff'd up cost basis by broker looked like I made more then I did that staretd this whole thing. Filing rejected and because of the million dollar plus goes into back room special bunch. Meaning quanity owed is so large it is put into a special high debt review. It is very difficult to get back door to these higher income reviewers. In the end as I said I have been relieved of the false tax burden. I did some sailing it makes for a good story my checks cleared with some fines. Next year I will make it to Maine or maybe I will shoot South. I am going to frame the IRS letter that shows me owing 860,000 dollars.
Old 22-12-2011, 07:35   #24

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I'm glad this was finally settled. You never know how bad your banker is until the chips are down. I've even gotten better service than that from a bigger bank, just not your's.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore