Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-08-2013, 17:48   #16

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
And pay to be in a marina while I'm doing it all, baking like potatoes in an oven.
Yeah, that's one thing I hate about marinas. When you are at a slip your boat does not turn Into the wind so it us much harder to get the breeze to flow through the cabin.

You must have a darn good wife to put up with the hardships.

svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 20:55   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Nothing is ever easy

Originally Posted by FightinGravity View Post
You might have covered this elsewhere BUT did you do the windvane vs hydrovane comparison? I always like to get people's take on this but usually go back to:

For the record, I have never used either but plan to one day...
They're both great products, I think it's a little lame for Scanmar to type up a few thousand words bad mouthing Hydrovanes. If you talk to any Hydrovane owner you'll hear nothing but happy comments, which is pretty much the same as Monitor.

The rudder size thing is a little misleading. Yes, a ship's rudder is much bigger, but you don't need to turn it 45 degrees in typical sailing situations (nor would you want to). So a smaller rudder turning 45 degrees (or more) is roughly equivalent to a larger rudder being turned a smaller amount.

If you think about a balanced sailboat and the tiny amount of rudder that is generally required to stay on course, that's a little more telling than simply comparing rudder size to rudder size.

Personally I went with a Hydrovane because:

- I have worm steering with a lot of friction. It requires a lot of wind for a servo-pendulum to overcome that friction and steer the boat.
- Even more friction is created by running the control lines to the wheel.
- I have some very good friends with Hydrovanes who have sailed very long distances and love the product.
- If there's enough wind to sail the boat, there's enough wind for my Hydrovane to work.
- The majority of vessel abandonment I've seen not related to sinking is from a loss of steerage. A monitor is $4500, and the MRUD is another $1500, so you're sitting there at $6000 which is the same price as a Hydrovane.

Monitors are great; if my boat had cable steering and was already equipped with a Monitor I'd be fine with it. The Hydrovane bashing is a little pathetic, to be honest.

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: