Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-08-2013, 11:54   #31
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Not Exactly what I had in Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Most of the advice so far on this thread is (IMO) neither good advice or bad advice; it's just differing advice.
There are many ways of learning to sail on a small(ish) boat, with motors, without them, with oars, without them. Heck, on a calm day, you could probably jump over the side and tow a 22' by swimming with a rope between your teeth.

What we have so far is a few different viewpoints on the best way to learn.

I applaud the OP for his willingness to jump in and have a go. Already he is learning what doesn't work , he will be soon learning what does works.

The only advice I offer at this stage is to read everything you can (on CF or elsewhere), discard what doesn't feel right for you, then try more stuff.

Sometimes you will realize that what you discarded was actually good and sometimes vice versa.

Enjoy (and don't internet advice too seriously - even mine )

Completely agree with you. There was one scaredy-pants at the club who kept trying to talk me out of a boat, said I should sail "for a year" before buying one. Well, what does "a year" really mean? For a lot of people it means they will take the boat out four times. The student boats had significant limitations. You always have to have someone else with them, you have to bring them in if the wind rises to 15mph because they can't be reefed and they get overpowerd -- they'll knockdown in a heartbeat in 20 mph wind if you lock the mainsail off too tight, and the big handicap for me is that the benches are too low for my "slightly" disabled legs. I needed full height benches to take some of the strain off my legs.

He meant well, but it was bad advice for me. Might have been right for someone else.

OP will hear everyone's opinion and than make his choice -- and I have no doubt that he'll make it work. My hat is off to him!

Old 24-08-2013, 12:20   #32

Boat: IP 40

Thanks for all the comments folks, we're always open for advice, good and bad. For us, the goal for taking the boat out with no mast/rigging was two fold. We wanted to ensure it actually floated and that our backup propulsion was reliable. You know, get it out see how she handles and just enjoy a sunset from the new boat. Since we're not new to boats I did of course have a couple paddles in the boat and could definitely have paddled my way back. That being said, given the hour and the fact I had made the judgment call to not spring for portable lights and use the money to actually wire up something permanent, the jetski was the quickest option.

This morning I got up early and pulled the intake screens and was unable to find any obstructions (ingress or egress). So as already mentioned on this thread I suspect I need an impeller...working on that now. The primary reason for having the OB is as a backup. Our place is on a very protected little cove and very rarely has much wind, my hope is that as we learn more about handling sails and trim, that we'll be able to manage without it entirely...but till then it seemed the simplest option. Our whole goal with this boat is to learn to sail and begin our journey towards cruising, so I'm sure I'll view every single time we have to fire it up as a bit of a personal failure but would rather have an option to get us back home easily when needed.

Unfortunately, my goofing with the OB this AM killed most of the morning and by the time it was mostly settled, it was almost 100 degrees so we retired to the water and a few cold beers. Tomorrow morning while it's cool, the plan is to get up step the mast and do our best to muddle through the rigging and bending sails. If we have a breeze we might even paddle out and see what we can do, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes us much longer than it would a true sailor to get things figured out. For me, the really exciting part is that we've finally STARTED the journey. Been reading, planning and saving for a long time...this is the fun part...or at least I'm hoping it will be once we get the logisitics sorted out.

Once again, thanks for the advice, please keep it coming. I truly enjoy reading this forum daily and have already learned a ton.

More to come...

-EB

Old 24-08-2013, 12:26   #33

Boat: PETERSON 44
What ever Ann or jim says go with that. I almost always sometimes agree with them. Getting a sail up will be best Still like the sculling option. But if its not for you then think low maintenance electric.
Old 24-08-2013, 12:37   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Check that the engine is spitting water out the back, if not (likely if unused for a while) try clearing out the little tube that the water exits out of.... you can use a picee of wire etc...
OP might also want to make the gas tank vent is not closed.....that caught out more than a few over the years. and decades .

But adding a paddle or a sculling oar would be a decent idea (even if only to try it out - one day on a larger boat could be a very useful skill)......and if the engine has gone pop big time might well be all that is needed (given location of the dock likely only need the last 10 yards, and that only on a bad day!).

LATE EDIT: the perils of posting a response whilst still mid-thread!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 14:42   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Check that the engine is spitting water out the back, if not (likely if unused for a while) try clearing out the little tube that the water exits out of.... you can use a picee of wire etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
OP might also want to make the gas tank vent is not closed.....that caught out more than a few over the years. and decades .

What they said before bothering with the impeller stuff.

Great spirit and good plan. It is obvious you are not inexperienced on the water. Sailing will be easy for you to learn. Watch out for the boom!
Old 24-08-2013, 14:45   #36
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
What they said before bothering with the impeller stuff.

Great spirit and good plan. It is obvious you are not inexperienced on the water. Sailing will be easy for you to learn. Watch out for the boom!

Yeah -- if someone shouts "DUCK!!!" -- they're not calling you to dinner!
Old 24-08-2013, 14:45   #37

Location: Currently in South Pacific. Home Port: Vienna, Austria
Boat: Celestial, Stay'sl-Rigged Sloop, 48 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
For me, the really exciting part is that we've finally STARTED the journey. Been reading, planning and saving for a long time...this is the fun part...or at least I'm hoping it will be once we get the logisitics sorted out.
And so the adventure begins!
I tip my hat to both you and your wife!

By the way - you spin a good tale. The folk at the coffee shop or pub must grin when they see you coming in through the door, knowing they're about to hear something entertaining.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 15:20   #38
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Thanks for sharing your story, it probably wasn't, but you wrote it like it was kind of fun. Reminds me of a time on lake Michigan, I went out with my Uncle on his small sail boat he had just purchased and he was so excited to have me show him some tricks, we set out in the late afternoon, not much of a breeze. So we sat there for awhile and it starting getting dark so I says "Well lets start the outboard and go back to the mooring." And he says "Oh the outboard doesn't work." Mental note to self "Whenever getting on a strange boat, make sure the engine works, before leaving." Anyway we flagged down one of those nice jet ski riders and they were kind enough to tow us back to the mooring. Didn't have a sculling oar either, which would have come in very handy. The thing about outboards versus inboards is they affect the vessel completely differently. You are directing the propulsion with an outboard, with an inboard you are directing the water flow. The boat will go the direction the prop is pointed on the outboard. A rudder has a different effect and you are beholden to either a right hand or left hand twist on a fixed propeller which will walk you in different directions until the water flow past the rudder reaches a point to where it overcomes the prop walk.
Old 25-08-2013, 07:00   #39

Boat: 1968 Hinterhoel Redwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors
Ha! Just imagine if that were a half-million dollar boat heading for shore out of control.
All's well that ends well. Give you good stories to tell.
Although I will admit my last trip my family told me 'this time, can we have less of an adventure'!
You said it! It was actually a half thousand dollar boat, but I had put a lot of sweat and tears into it. I remember thinking I just finished this boat and now I've wrecked it. Nerve wracking.
Old 25-08-2013, 07:08   #40
Armchair Bucketeer

I know someone who bought a similar sized sailing boat and first trip got towed back by a passing fella in a rowboat ......fortunately only half way accross the harbour. ok, maybe less than 50 yards .

No Names .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 09:58   #41
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I once read a story "First you row a small boat" or something like that, and it was about this kid that wanted to sail, and his uncle made him start with rowing a small boat; and the lessons learned there served him well into the sailing vessels. I have never personally sculled, I have watched it done. I think I might take it up, at least when the tide is going with me

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: