Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 09:46   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
New Toy ....

Having gone through the decision process of whether to sell Sabre Dance and buy a new boat, or do a major refit on her, I finally came to the conclusion (after some months of of catatonia, mumbling and twitching ) that selling her off and buying a new one just wasn't worth the money aspect unless I could find the perfect steel boat that met my every need and desire. Hmmm. That's about as likely as me getting a date with Evangeline Lily or Kate Beckinsale.

So, refit it is. I'm anticipating a year to do what I need to do in order to get her livable and back in the water with a new engine and a roughed out interior. The clock has started, and I hope to have her ready for launch next April, with the rest of our fleet, also coordinating the complete liquidation of all my shore assets and a move to permanent live aboard status.

Having gone through a refit with several other boats and friends boats, I realize that having a pressure relief available to calm ones nerves after spending a hot afternoon in the bowels ripping out or re building things is indicated, and an evening afloat with a sixpack of beer is the best possible solution. To that end I just spend 3 weeks scrambling round to purchase a plastic spit kit for my mental health sessions.

Believe me it has been quite the chase. I've been phoning people all over southern Ontario, looking to buy a boat of some sort, with the one requirement being that it had to be a trailer sailor. The second requirement was that it had to be complete turn key. You would not believe the number of people who A) won't respond to messages, B) won't cancel an ad after their boat was sold, C) lie through their teeth on a Kijiji ad and D) seriously under price their boats by mistake.

I've had 5 that never returned my call, 2 that called back to say the boat was sold a few weeks ago, 3 where the boat turned out to be a water filled wreck that only vaguely resembled the ad photos, and 3 decent boats sold sight unseen before I could even get an answer from the seller. Finally I found one locally, that I managed to get to see yesterday. The seller told me that there were 2 other potential buyers coming to see it but I should come anyway. Having gone through the above experiences, I took a chance and showed up 2 hours early for the meet, cash in hand, and scoped the boat out before anyone else showed up. The owner showed about an hour after I got there, and I bought the boat right then and there. His first potential buyer never showed up. The second showed up an hour late. By that time the deal was done and we were loading gear into my truck. The other guy freaked. Sorry buddy, you snooze, you lose.

Anyway, long story short, I just bought an 81 Buccaneer 250 by United Sailing Yachts. Complete, very good condition with lots of extras, on a tandem axle trailer. Awning, microwave, Refrigerator, stereo, Chrysler outboard, two anchors and rode, mainsail, 3 headsails and a slightly mouse eaten spinnaker. (that's off to the sail maker tomorrow) The only gigs I could find was a flat tire on the trailer, ( got a spare with the deal), the compass is frozen, and someone scarfed the VHF antenna. Otherwise, she's in great shape, bone dry inside, and ready to launch. I'll be moving her from Ontario Place to my club on Tuesday and spending a week giving her a bottom paint job, a power washing, and a buff job on the finish. Then she goes kerplunk and I have some stress relief while doing the refit on Sabre Dance. The best part was the price. $3500. I was budgeting $5k for my mental health

I'm thinking that after I'm done with her I'll either sell her or donate her to my club for the youth sailing program. They've been talking about starting one up, but no boats.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 10:00   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: New toy....

Congratulations Sabre...looks like a hell of a find.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 10:42   #3

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

I'm thinking that after I'm done with her I'll either sell her or donate her to my club for the youth sailing program. They've been talking about starting one up, but no boats.

Sabre,

Congradulations and I am sure your clubs members are going to be happy with a boat just for training new sailors. I have great respect for a man who goes out of his way to help TEACH others the joys and fun of saiing.

Hopefully your Roberts 38 will also be glad of a refurbish and give you many more years of happy sailing.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 11:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Wow, a good deal and she's pretty! The remaining 1.5k will buy a lot of beer. Nice!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 14:13   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Nice one, SK. Perhaps now we'll meet out there, because I've got my Viking 33 afloat as the mental health relief valve from my steel boat refit! We had the first sail of the season yesterday.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 14:25   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Congratulations SK. She looks sweet.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 07:01   #7

Boat: Finnfire 33
Re: New Toy ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
You would not believe the number of people who A) won't respond to messages, B) won't cancel an ad after their boat was sold, C) lie through their teeth on a Kijiji ad and D) seriously under price their boats by mistake.
Actually, I would. For some reason it seems that the moment an ordinary human being becomes a seller of anything, he immediately turns into a testicle. It's very odd.
Last_Mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 07:22   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

cute boat,looks well cared for,almost big enough to go sailing rtw now!!!!!!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 07:36   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sitting in a Toronto marina with a name like Kona Winds, she may already have a tale to tell.

Old 30-05-2011, 08:05   #10
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

It sounds as if the delays in finding the right boat were worth it - at that price with a tandem trailer, I think you made a huge score!

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Sitting in a Toronto marina with a name like Kona Winds, she may already have a tale to tell.
Well, coffee can lead to flatulence in some skippers.

Or so I hear.
Old 30-05-2011, 12:17   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Toy ....

Nice one Sabre... get away for the odd w/end.... Enjoy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 12:19   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Well, coffee can lead to flatulence in some skippers.

Or so I hear.
So you're saying she may have a tail tell.

Old 31-05-2011, 05:36   #14

What's the opposite of "a bone in her teeth"? ehehhehh
Old 01-06-2011, 09:30   #15

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Well, we got her moved to the club yesterday, after the usual delays caused by bad communications. Seems the lady at the office told them to clear the junk away so I could get a tow truck in there but someone sorta forgot. Plus they piled even more junk in front of the boat.

It took me 20 minutes to swap out the flat tire on the trailer, another 20 minutes to check the pressure on all 4 and 3 hours before they came to clear up the mess. Then it was on the road and off to the club. No pain no strain. However the mast plug at the bottom end popped out while on the road, so I had to stop in rush hour traffic to pick it up. No problem, it will be drilled tapped and screwed in before the next move.

Only problem is, I seem to have buggered up my right knee. I can hardly move around the apartment or drive so it will be a few days before I can get going on clearing her out and getting the survey done.

@ S/V Alchemy, Yes I expect we will cross paths out there. Give me a couple of weeks to get her in the water and my knee sorted out.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote