Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2011, 06:18   #1

Boat: Gulfstar Sail Master 47
Need Reassurance

About eight months ago my wife and I decided we were going to retire and cruise full time. We purchased a 1978 37" Irwin Center Cockpit Sloop. We have completely redone the boat with all new standing/running rigging, electrical,plumbing, paint ect.ect. It looks like a brand new boat now and is about 95% complete. We plan on setting sail in June from Jacksonville, Fl to Jupiter for a couple of months and then where the wind takes us after hurrican season. We are currently getting ready to sell everything that we have in our 4400SF home but now we are having a hard time letting go. We are only 45 years old and part of us says to keep working and paying the uncle that never sends us Christmas cards. The other side says set sail and screw it. My biggest concern is can I slow down enough to enjoy it or will I be bored out of mind waking up with nothing to do? My wifes concern is that we are not experienced in sailing and what if? I'm sure these feeling are normal. How did you adjust? Thanks i9n advance
ASIMPLELIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 06:36   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Need Re-assurance

Is there anything stopping you from returning to work next year if it doesn't work out? You're all geared up for this, so just quit worrying and go.

Is that what you wanted to hear? If not:

The world will fall to pieces if you drop out for a while. Don't do it, Uncle Sam needs you to stay in your house and pay tax.

Just pick the answer you feel most comfortable with...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 06:38   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
or will I be bored out of mind waking up with nothing to do?
Not likely if you want to keep the boat in running condition. There is always, always something to fix, adjust, repair, replace, remove, paint, grind, patch, tighten, loosen, fasten, clean, wash, scrub, scrape...

"The years thunder by, the dreams of youth lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience, before we know it, the tomb is sealed" - Sterling Hayden.
Old 25-04-2011, 06:42   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIMPLELIFE View Post
About eight months ago my wife and I decided we were going to retire and cruise full time. We purchased a 1978 37" Irwin Center Cockpit Sloop. We have completely redone the boat with all new standing/running rigging, electrical,plumbing, paint ect.ect. It looks like a brand new boat now and is about 95% complete. We plan on setting sail in June from Jacksonville, Fl to Jupiter for a couple of months and then where the wind takes us after hurrican season. We are currently getting ready to sell everything that we have in our 4400SF home but now we are having a hard time letting go. We are only 45 years old and part of us says to keep working and paying the uncle that never sends us Christmas cards. The other side says set sail and screw it. My biggest concern is can I slow down enough to enjoy it or will I be bored out of mind waking up with nothing to do? My wifes concern is that we are not experienced in sailing and what if? I'm sure these feeling are normal. How did you adjust? Thanks i9n advance
If you don't do it, you'll never know whether you would have liked it or not.

If you do do it, and don't like it, you'll know and be able to choose what to do next.

To me the answer looks pretty obvious.

I have never cruised full time so I'm probably not the person to give you advice, but I cruise sometimes for a month at a time so I think I have some kind of idea about it. For me boredom has never been the problem. Too much work to keep a cruising sailboat in condition, too much work navigating and sailing the boat. It's very much like a job. An extremely enjoyable one.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 06:49   #5

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you don't do it, you'll never know whether you would have liked it or not.

If you do do it, and don't like it, you'll know and be able to choose what to do next.

To me the answer looks pretty obvious.

I have never cruised full time so I'm probably not the person to give you advice, but I cruise sometimes for a month at a time so I think I have some kind of idea about it. For me boredom has never been the problem. Too much work to keep a cruising sailboat in condition, too much work navigating and sailing the boat. It's very much like a job. An extremely enjoyable one.
WHAT HE SAID, do it, if it is not what you thought it would be you are young enough to go back to the grindstonel.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 06:51   #6

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Need Re-assurance

As Doug said, there will be plenty to do, and Hud pointed out in another thread that whatever it is they do all day takes all day to do. Whether you and wife can slow down enough to be happy is another question.

My take is that if you two have had the wherewithal to retire at 45, you'll have no trouble getting back in the race if cruising doesn't work out.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 06:52   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Simple Life,
There are many other threads on this forum dealing with both issues so I'll be very brief in my reply.

First, go now while you are still young enough to enjoy the life without lots of aches and pains. I waited until I was 56 to start cruising and have wished many times I had started sooner.

Second, do NOT be worried about being bored. You will be amazed at how much time you spend maintaining the boat, even after a complete refit. If you aren't fixing things that break, you will have stainless steel to polish, decks to wash and wax, bottoms to clean, etc.

Third, if you are not yet experienced in sailing, take some lessons and build your confidence BEFoRE going out on an ocean that can be very unforgiving. Back in December, Unicorn Dreams posted to a thread on this topic at: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post579267. That post contained a link to another relevant site:
THE TOP TEN CRUISING DISASTERS I WAS AFRAID OF. I recommend both.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 06:56   #8

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

^^What they said. You will never have a shortage of boat work to do on a daily basis once you are cruising. There is always something to fix/repair/modify/clean on your boat. ALWAYS.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 07:19   #9

Send a message via AIM to NomadRip Send a message via Yahoo to NomadRip Send a message via Skype™ to NomadRip
Re: Need Reassurance

I would love to be in your position. To be able to even be worrying about whether you should do such a thing.

Here's an easy self-test you can take that I've found works well on decisions like this:

What's the worst that could happen if you go?

What's the worst that could happen if you don't go?

If you keep doing whatever you're doing now, you'll know exactly where you'll be twenty years from now (if things go right, of course).

Getting there...
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 07:26   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Can you afford to hang onto the house for a bit of time while cruising? To see if it is for you. It is not uncommon for people to find out it's not for them. It causes heartache, and divorces. It can also give the greatest accomplishment feeling.

As far as your age. This is the time to go in my mind. I left twice at an earlier age, and at 59 became deathly ill. If I had waited until I was retired I may have never been able to go. I would have felt cheated in life if I had waited, and couldn't go. Take advantage of your youth, and stamina. BEST WISHES in making a happy choice........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 07:29   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Simple,

What a bunch of ants... everyone telling you that you'll not be bored because you will be working on the boat 24/7. Why hasn't anyone told you about the hours that you will spend snorkeling the reefs, walking the beaches, interacting with interesting people, both locals and other yotties, and all the other activities that have kept Ann and I cruising full time for 25 years. Yeah, even us grasshopper types do have boat maintenance issues, but there is more to the cruising life than fixing your boat in exotic locations... really!

Go for it, Mate!

Cheers,
Old 25-04-2011, 07:43   #12

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

I worked like a dog 10+ years of my life to "get ahead" and have "security". Then lost home, marriage, and life savings in the Crash of '09. Stuff comes & goes ... true wealth is in the heart & mind. That is what I had left when the money was gone. I am fortunate enough to have a second chance. In 5 years or so (god willing) will have the finances to cruise. LOL ... starting now the process of minimalizing so I will be free to go in 5 years. Yes, it is difficult to let go of all the "things" that make-up who I think I am. Our plan involves renting-out our house rather than selling and a great deal of effort to get it paid-off to make this reality. In the mean time I am learning & practicing the skills I need to sail long distances. If you are in position to live your dreams now ... DO IT!!! Good luck to you ... I am rooting for you to have wonderful experiences which more than make up for the things you leave behind.
NatKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 07:54   #13

Boat: Unknown MFV 60ft

Haveyou ever heard of the flick trick? If you are unable to decide one way or the other then you can do a quick trick to identify what the 'correct' decision to make is, based on your intuition. WARNING: THIS TRICK MAY LEAD TO EXCESSIVE CORRECT PERSONAL DECISIONS AND SUBSEQUENT SIGNIFICANT LIFE ALTERATIONS - PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

And please don't sue me if this leads you to do something unexpected!!!

Spend a few minutes talking to your wife about the two options, discussing the pros and cons of each. Take a coin and assign each side of the coin to a corresponding option - e.g. heads we go, tails we stay. Flick the coin into the air and watch EACH OTHER. Regardless of which way the coin lands, the result will cause one or both of you to FEEL happy & excited OR sad & disappointed.

Et Voila. You now know without doubt what option your gut feeling/instinct prefers. You also now know what option your wife's instinct prefers - I hope it is the same as yours!!!

By following your instinct you can only make correct decisions (individually).

You may find this unsual, but from your post it is possible for another person to determine your 'correct' decision already!!!

Good luck
Old 25-04-2011, 07:55   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need Reassurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Simple,

What a bunch of ants... everyone telling you that you'll not be bored because you will be working on the boat 24/7. Why hasn't anyone told you about the hours that you will spend snorkeling the reefs, walking the beaches, interacting with interesting people, both locals and other yotties, and all the other activities that have kept Ann and I cruising full time for 25 years. Yeah, even us grasshopper types do have boat maintenance issues, but there is more to the cruising life than fixing your boat in exotic locations... really!

Go for it, Mate!

Cheers,
Ahh.... its nice to get a 'liveaboard' perpective.... once the boats 'set up' to your standard... not everyone elses... big difference...
If you spend more than an hour a day average keeping it 'together' your definitely doing something wrong....
Well said Jim...
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 19:38   #15

Boat: Gulfstar Sail Master 47

Thanks for all the comments. It got my wife and I talking and overcame some of our concerns. WE ARE GOING!!! What happens, happens..Live life
ASIMPLELIFE is offline   Reply With Quote