Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2014, 18:55   #1

Boat: Vagabond 47
My worst sailing injury...so far

I was climbing up the mast and missed a step. My shin strick the aluminum step and I had a good chunk of skin peeled off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140516_182832.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	81445   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140516_182735.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	81446  

chris5977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 19:07   #2

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: My worst sailing injury...so far

Ouch! Glad it wasn't worse.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 19:22   #3

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

My worst sailing injury was mental. Drifting uncontrolled to a rock wall had me praying for forgiveness for all my sins. Fortunately that didn't take long.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 19:49   #4

Boat: Kristen 52

When provoked boats will bite....and sometimes they just bite for the heck of it.
Old 16-05-2014, 20:00   #5

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I don't know if this counts - my worst "sailing" injury happened on my boat. I fell off. Now, most folks climb back into the boat and get into some dry clothes amidst the laughter of the guests. However, my boat was on the hard. Now, I have been sailing on this, and other, sailboats and I have never, and I mean never, fallen off of a sailboat unintentionally.

I was prepping the boat for launch and was washing off the deck, which is about 8' off the ground. I don't really remember how I came to fall because I suffered a head injury and was knocked unconscious. When I awoke it was clear to me I was hurt pretty bad. The head injury was not too bad. My sprained wrist wasn't too bad. My shattered (into 5 pieces) collar bone was bad. It took 6 months to heal. No surgery involved. it just knit into a misshapen blob - the surgeon recommended patience and he was right.

I was lucky I wasn't hurt worse. I considered wearing my harness while working on the boat on the hard but decided that wasn't a good idea either. Just being careful is better, no?
Old 16-05-2014, 20:20   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Barking shins hurts. I do it all the time on a horizontal lip in the companionway.
Pain!

Its the only injuries Ive had on this boat, luckily... Touch Wood!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 20:24   #7

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Barking shins hurts. I do it all the time on a horizontal lip in the companionway.

Pain!

Its the only injuries Ive had on this boat, luckily... Touch Wood!

I'm with you on that one! You would think I would have calluses on my shins by now.

I did break two ribs after tripping on hubby shoes in the cockpit one night. I might have been OK if I were not trying to save my iPad as I fell.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 21:10   #8

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Wrist fractures, falling off boat, bouncing off pier into water. Good opportunity to verify boat bottom was clean. Ambulance ride from Marina del Rey to hospital, overheard some very interesting things in the emergency room while waiting various eternities for bits and pieces of treatment. At least hospital gave out decent pain killers. *&&$%&! HMO made me fly home with x-rays to get surgery, but at least airport TSA folks were very mellow. Was able to go sailing again with caution about a month and a half later a week after cast went off.

Honorable mentions; various, cuts froma aluminum slivers when drilling rivets out of mast, various minor bonks, bumps, abrasions, cuts, blah blah.

Worst of all: Was sailing about a quarter mile away when a friend fell off another friend's boat and drowned. AWFUL.
Old 16-05-2014, 21:13   #9

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
My worst sailing injury...so far

I was on the upwind side sitting with my back against the cabintop on an Island Packet 380 cruising from Burnt Store to Indian Key. It was around 2AM and we were abeam Naples in some fairly steep seas that were running broadside and out of the east to west about 15 miles offshore heading south. My sailing buddy was on his first offshore trip and was unsure of his navigational skills. I was looking at Naples through a handheld Flir and a large wave hit us broadside and threw me off the bench and my rib cage hit the step up leading to the companionway. It literally knocked the breath out of me and it took several long seconds for me to get some air. I heard something crack as I hit the step.

My sailing buddy was asleep on the downwind side and my crash woke him and he thought I was having a heart attack and was dying right in front of his eyes! I have a defibrillator and had a heart attack several years earlier, so it spooked him pretty bad. I broke two ribs and it was very painful. I moved to the salon where I could get more comfortable. He is an Orthodontist and had a medical kit that was really well equipped. He wanted to sedate me, but we were going to have to go south and then east to get below Romano shoals and he was an inexperienced navigator and I wanted my full faculties to get us safely to the anchorage at Indian Key. There are some pretty shallow areas in the Romano Shoals area and the last thing I wanted was to get us run aground in those swells. I took some Tylenol and just sucked it up and tried to stay as still as possible in the rolling seas and monitor our position to round a buoy to port that I had placed a waypoint on well south of the shallows.

We made it to Indian Key around daybreak the next morning and I recovered some at the anchorage. We left at dusk for an overnight sail to meet our wives the next day in Key West. We arrived in Key West the next morning. After we were in Key West I thought the whole thing was really funny as it scared the heck out of my sailing buddy! I was pretty sore during our time in Key West and on the return trip I used a large ace bandage to keep my rib cage as immobile as possible. I felt every wave.

After it was all over, I thought it was pretty funny although it did hurt me a lot. We were never in any danger and my buddy gained some navigational training he will never forget. I have never let myself be exposed like that again. It is incredible how fast that wave came on at night and I was not holding on since I had to use both hands with the Flir. Things can change very quickly!
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 23:39   #10

Boat: Freedom 38

Ouch. Shins were just designed wrong IMO. You never get injuries like that on calves!

Luckily, my worst is not too bad. I didn't quite get my fingers outta the way when putting a wrap on a friend's boat as he was coming in hot into the slip while slipping sideways with a strong cross wind toward another boat. As the boat continued to move forward, the wrap wasn't complete and I got a loop around two fingers. I pulled away quickly, so kept the fingers intact, but they were swollen and sore for a while. That was a good lesson learned the hard way. Now if I could just quit hitting my head on the same things I should know better....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 03:13   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

So far I believe that my worst injuries have been to my wallet. Tylenol has not seemed to relieve the pain...

Jim
Old 17-05-2014, 03:29   #12

My worst injury was when fixing the head. I was cutting the outlet hose to put in a new y valve, to do this I was upside down holding the hose in one hand an a carving knife in the other. Long story short a trip to the Doctors and twelve stitches.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 03:55   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: My worst sailing injury...so far

Nothing as bad as when Motor biking...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 04:30   #14

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flesh wound.jpg
Views:	2517
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	81457  
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 04:41   #15

Boat: Nauticat 33
You all know that little button on the top of a cap. When wearing the cap it is exactly positioned over the place that was the "soft spot" when you were born. Well, I was crew on a J80 at Key West a number of years ago and we were sailing in an aggressive fleet in some lumpy water....in other words, things were happening fast. At one point the skipper called a tack and as the boom came over the boat lurched and I stood up and that little button smacked squarely into it and drove it hard into my skull. I thought I'd been pole axed and went down on my knees. But that's not my worst accident. My worst accident was about 1/2 hour later when I DID IT AGAIN! Ouch.
JardiTancat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, sail