Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2011, 15:39   #1
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
My Worst Mistake to Date !

Some of our stupid mistakes we don’t want to tell the whole world, but enough time has went by that I feel ok about fussing up to how I almost lost my boat on the rocks- on June 1 2009- I dropped my main anchor with all chain rode over the edge inside the crater of Santroni- just under OIA- then I dropped a second one to be sure ( the second anchor had 40 feet of chain and the rest was ¾ - 3 strand rode)& tied the stern with 5/8s line to the rocky shore, 50 feet away- This area is usually well protected from the meltimi that blows from the North but will still get 25 knots of wind with no seas bouncing off the inside walls- I had spent 2 months the summer before in the same place- so I knew the place well- On June 1 an unforecast storm out of the south blew up and with winds increasing eventfully to a sustained 50 knots- with gusts 60 -65 knots – the hole in the Southern end of the Calder was wide open but the seas and most of the big waves were hitting in a way where I was not directly impacted unless the wind changed direction- and the wind was slowly clocking around-and I was getting 6 ft sharp choppy seas with about 15-20 feet seas outside I would guess-–my stern was only about 50 feet from the rocky shore and I was not sure what to do –I waited too long to get out of there being so close to the rocks-now I was in trouble- I had a few hundred feet of chain out on my Manson Supreme with 5/8 3 strand snubber taking the shock off the anchor rode- 1 of my engines was not working because I was waiting on a water pump">raw water pump belt that was nowhere to be found in the EU at that time so I had 1 engine in forward running - me at the helm all night steering trying to keep the boat facings into the wind-as the wind got up to 60 knots- - My 5/8 shackle deformed and was destroyed and failed and in those few moments it took me to get another line on the chain the force of it all cracked the Fb around the cleat and would have ripped it off in no time- had I not run a snubber through the chain and secured it-I went through 3 snubbers in 24 hours because they kept chafing through- daylight came and the wind was still blowing with no sign of letting up – I had one guy onboard with me so this helped-I was very worried that this chain was going to fail as the seas were increasing as the wind kept clocking around to give me more of a direct hit through the South opening- My dinghy broke its painter in the night and was long gone- and I had to make a decision , drop the anchors and rode and try and make a run off the rocks using both engines or sit there and pray the chain/shakel did not break -with the wind slowly creeping toward a more direct hit I decided to make a run for it- (to this day I’m not sure what I would do if I had to do it all again,) I could use the second engine for a little while long enough to get out of there I thought- So this was the plan- anyway we dropped the first anchor rode off and let it clear the boat then I freed the chain and let it run free and ran back to the helm both engines were running and as luck would have it we pulled forward about 20 feet and one prop got caught in a mooring line and we lost power and steerage as the wind now caught us on the side and within seconds we would be in the rocks , we were within 10 feet of the rocks now and I managed to pull the Jib out and it caught the wind with a bang that sounded like a shot gun - we shot out of there like a cannon ball, all the time keeping the wind close to the sail as not to blow it out- I made it – I was very very did I say VERY lucky- that mistake cost me a few thousand in chain and anchor and dingy but that was a price I happily paid- the locals said they never seen a storm come up from that direction with that severity in 50 years- I went back to recover the anchor & chain, using scuba I went down as deep as 150 feet and could see to 200 or so but it was nowhere to be found-For a moment there I really thought I lost the boat and would have, but luck was with me- The reason I waited too long to move was its normal to get 25-30 knots in that area and at that time it was not coming in from the south-I spent many of sound sleeps with that set up – so I was thinking ok soon the wind will die down but in a few hours it was so strong I could not move without putting everything at risk- and I could not stay either- Everyday im out there is a blessing!
Old 15-11-2011, 15:43   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: My Worst mistake to date!

yikes!

glad you made it.
Old 15-11-2011, 15:48   #3

Boat: Snapdragon 890
Re: My Worst mistake to date!

Dramatic story, well told - I heard the crack of the jib!

Glad you got out ok.
gixerjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 16:18   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Re: My Worst Mistake to Date !

Holy Sheeeeet!!! (And, I'm sure you're glad it held!) That was close! Gives me the shudders just reading it.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 16:52   #5

Boat: PETERSON 44
Nicely written. Reminded me a tad if the Roth's anchoring in Peru. Hal was big on sailing off the anchor and practicing that.
Thamks
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 17:05   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wow
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 17:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: My Worst Mistake to Date !

Nice one Ram....
Next time use a CQR.... it woulda dragged a lot earlier and you'da decided to get the hell out in time...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 17:33   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Boatman...I know that was said in jest but I wonder if there's a "case of opposites" going on with the new generation of anchors. If the CQR drags...it's time to head to sea, and therefore the CQR's a good way to get a positive warning, after a fashion. The Supreme/Rocna/Sarca types hold and hold and hold...until the rode parts or the snubber fails or the bollard bends and you can no longer sail or motor off.

It could be we've entered an era where the anchor works perfectly and the boat is lost!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 17:43   #9

A very well written, real world experience. Good information for all those that want to be world cruisers. You WILL have a similar experience... only a matter of time and severity!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 17:47   #10

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Boatman...I know that was said in jest but I wonder if there's a "case of opposites" going on with the new generation of anchors. If the CQR drags...it's time to head to sea, and therefore the CQR's a good way to get a positive warning, after a fashion. The Supreme/Rocna/Sarca types hold and hold and hold...until the rode parts or the snubber fails or the bollard bends and you can no longer sail or motor off.

It could be we've entered an era where the anchor works perfectly and the boat is lost!
"It could be we've entered an era where the anchor works perfectly and the boat is lost!"

Don't think you need worry about that. Realise you are saying it tongue-in-cheek.

Good useful story, RAM.

thanks
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 07:14   #11

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Glad to hear you made it out!

What kind of chain were you using? I've got a 55lb/25kg Rocna and the anchor itself has a SWL of ~5,000lbs. I have 3/8BBB chain that came with the boat and it is nowhere near as strong as the anchor. I bought a Kong swivel that is pretty close to equal strength as the anchor. My next chain will be 3/8HT which is rated ~5,000lb SWL as well.

I've got a massive snubber of 3/4" 3-strand nylon with fire-hose chafe-guard that runs from the eyes in the ropes to the V where they meet, and giant cleats at the bow with equally large backing plates below the deck....

The rope with the chafe guard won't fit in the big chocks I've got, and the fire-hose is actually wearing the gel-coat off the fiberglass Eventually I'll add a smooth, polished SS rail guard to this edge.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 04:04   #12
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Some of our stupid mistakes we don’t want to tell the whole world, but enough time has went by that I feel ok about fussing up to how I almost lost my boat on the rocks- on June 1 2009- I dropped my main anchor with all chain rode over the edge inside the crater of Santroni- just under OIA- then I dropped a second one to be sure ( the second anchor had 40 feet of chain and the rest was ¾ - 3 strand rode)& tied the stern with 5/8s line to the rocky shore, 50 feet away- This area is usually well protected from the meltimi that blows from the North but will still get 25 knots of wind with no seas bouncing off the inside walls- I had spent 2 months the summer before in the same place- so I knew the place well- On June 1 an unforecast storm out of the south blew up and with winds increasing eventfully to a sustained 50 knots- with gusts 60 -65 knots – the hole in the Southern end of the Calder was wide open but the seas and most of the big waves were hitting in a way where I was not directly impacted unless the wind changed direction- and the wind was slowly clocking around-and I was getting 6 ft sharp choppy seas with about 15-20 feet seas outside I would guess-–my stern was only about 50 feet from the rocky shore and I was not sure what to do –I waited too long to get out of there being so close to the rocks-now I was in trouble- I had a few hundred feet of chain out on my Manson Supreme with 5/8 3 strand snubber taking the shock off the anchor rode- 1 of my engines was not working because I was waiting on a raw water pump belt that was nowhere to be found in the EU at that time so I had 1 engine in forward running - me at the helm all night steering trying to keep the boat facings into the wind-as the wind got up to 60 knots- - My 5/8 shackle deformed and was destroyed and failed and in those few moments it took me to get another line on the chain the force of it all cracked the Fb around the cleat and would have ripped it off in no time- had I not run a snubber through the chain and secured it-I went through 3 snubbers in 24 hours because they kept chafing through- daylight came and the wind was still blowing with no sign of letting up – I had one guy onboard with me so this helped-I was very worried that this chain was going to fail as the seas were increasing as the wind kept clocking around to give me more of a direct hit through the South opening- My dinghy broke its painter in the night and was long gone- and I had to make a decision , drop the anchors and rode and try and make a run off the rocks using both engines or sit there and pray the chain/shakel did not break -with the wind slowly creeping toward a more direct hit I decided to make a run for it- (to this day I’m not sure what I would do if I had to do it all again,) I could use the second engine for a little while long enough to get out of there I thought- So this was the plan- anyway we dropped the first anchor rode off and let it clear the boat then I freed the chain and let it run free and ran back to the helm both engines were running and as luck would have it we pulled forward about 20 feet and one prop got caught in a mooring line and we lost power and steerage as the wind now caught us on the side and within seconds we would be in the rocks , we were within 10 feet of the rocks now and I managed to pull the Jib out and it caught the wind with a bang that sounded like a shot gun - we shot out of there like a cannon ball, all the time keeping the wind close to the sail as not to blow it out- I made it – I was very very did I say VERY lucky- that mistake cost me a few thousand in chain and anchor and dingy but that was a price I happily paid- the locals said they never seen a storm come up from that direction with that severity in 50 years- I went back to recover the anchor & chain, using scuba I went down as deep as 150 feet and could see to 200 or so but it was nowhere to be found-For a moment there I really thought I lost the boat and would have, but luck was with me- The reason I waited too long to move was its normal to get 25-30 knots in that area and at that time it was not coming in from the south-I spent many of sound sleeps with that set up – so I was thinking ok soon the wind will die down but in a few hours it was so strong I could not move without putting everything at risk- and I could not stay either- Everyday im out there is a blessing!
One of The first things I did after replacing the Anchor & chain was put in a much bigger and better cleat attached with a large backing Plate, and I was lucky enough to find some fire hose to protect my snubbers from chaffing- I now have 3 snubbers ready to go at any time– 1 is only ½ in 3 strand that stretches the most, I use in very protected ports- the other 2 are 5/8- 3 strand- along with a 25 ft 5/8 bridle --My Chain was 5/16 HT I think it has a 4000lb SWL rating and the shackle was about the same- the anchor was a Manson Supreme 45 I replaced it with a 60lb one-The Anchors where not in sand but hooked on the edge of a rock wall, (I dove it after setting the anchors to make sure they were in a good place) After losing that snubber shackle -I was worried about the chain breaking or the shackle that attached the anchor to the chain failing from all that shock and wear on the rocks- the chain had seen better days- and the second anchor had a mostly ¾ nylon rode I figured in those conditions would last about 5 min-this is what prompted me to move when I did--2 weeks later I found my dink , a fisherman had it , but not before I bought a new one- I have never anchored in that place again after that and have become even more careful as a result of this experience
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 04:22   #13

Boat: Transpac 49

RAM: Thanks for sharing that experience, I think we all have learnt something from that

Quote:

In my inexperienced opinion, I think that there is a lot of merit in this comment.

The discussion going on in OMG Lee Shore thread raises this exact point. When it gets that big that the snubbers etc are starting to fail, even using your diesel/ sail combo, it is going to be a long hard slog to get the sea room.
Old 17-11-2011, 04:42   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: My Worst Mistake to Date !

Quote:

CQR drags... set the Bruce...
Bruce drags... GTFOutaDodge....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 05:08   #15

Not to be picky, but could we try paragraphs - it does make it somewhat easier to read. Interesting read however...
FPVman is offline   Reply With Quote