Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 19:51   #1

My misguided faith

So for years we had only sailed around Louisiana waters. In that time we'd encounter a stray power boater here or there. Maybe someone in the ICW from time to time. Most would slow down and occasionally someone would just power on by and wake us pretty badly. I thought we had it bad.

I've discovered just how wrong we were.

After 5 years of planning we finally made our first passage from NOLA to Key West and anchored "briefly" off of Wisteria Island (Christmas tree island?). The commercial traffic and power boats were literally just cutting through anchored boats at full throttle throwing major wakes. I'd never seen anything like it. I felt like we were still at sea!

I'll never complain about Louisiana power boaters again after seeing what is going on down here.

We eventually wised up and moved to a better spot to hide out and not catch all the traffic. So much to learn.

PS. Our first trip across open water was pretty fun:
Old 19-01-2015, 20:16   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: My misguided faith

The species Dickheadus Motorboatia thrives in many areas, even some down here in Oz. While it is fun to fantacize about RPGs and such, the fact is one can't really escape them. In really serious cases down here, folks have reported the name and rego (if seen) of major offenders to AMSA (the marine safety authority), and especially if accompanied by video or photos we've heard that there was some rain on the Mobo's parade. No personal experience, though. Anyhow, a similar action might work well in your area, I dunno... but I bet it would just feel good to send it in!

Meanwhile, so glad that you enjoyed your little passage... not everyone does. Good onya, mate!

Jim
Old 19-01-2015, 22:05   #3

Cool ride
4music3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 15:53   #4

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Well, many people on this forum preach that faster = safer (big boat = faster boat = safer boat, i.e. not a Wet Snail), so just be glad you are surrounded by all those safe boaters!
Old 21-01-2015, 16:01   #5

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Good vid and glad you enjoyed.
What is the name of the first song/tune or artist in your vid please?
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 16:24   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Good vid and glad you enjoyed.
What is the name of the first song/tune or artist in your vid please?
Chris

"Are You Human?" by Aural Planet

Glad I'm not the only one with exotic and eclectic tastes in music.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 16:31   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The species Dickheadus Motorboatia thrives in many areas, even some down here in Oz. While it is fun to fantacize about RPGs and such, the fact is one can't really escape them. In really serious cases down here, folks have reported the name and rego (if seen) of major offenders to AMSA (the marine safety authority), and especially if accompanied by video or photos we've heard that there was some rain on the Mobo's parade. No personal experience, though. Anyhow, a similar action might work well in your area, I dunno... but I bet it would just feel good to send it in!

Meanwhile, so glad that you enjoyed your little passage... not everyone does. Good onya, mate!

Jim
USCG will rain on their parade also and hold them accountable for damages. I've seen them chase a boat down in Florida when damage was done to docked boats...don't think his day ended well.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 16:33   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You two have got that old boat looking pretty nice. Great to see you enjoying the fruits of your labors and DLTBGYD.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 02:19   #9

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

I keep a sack of potatoes by the companionway in certain anchorages.

Kaiteriteri, Okahu Bay, anywhere around Waiheke, Nelson Harbourmaster...

Peace.
Mr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 06:25   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Complaining about inconsiderate (or stupid) boaters (it's always the other guy) is a favorite pastime on boating forums.

Eventually you have to realize that the other guy is inconsiderate, stupid and doesn't know the rules. Be prepared at all times. Assume that you will be waked by other boats and have things in their place and tied down. Assume that the guy on your left doesn't know he is supposed to stay out of your way and be prepared to slow down or change course to avoid a collision. Assume the guy about to overtake you will not only not slow down, but he will not contact you in any way before overtaking you.

Until the day comes when everyone who operates a boat has to have passed a safe boating course you cannot expect this to change. Even then you will still have the inconsiderate and/or inebriated boater to contend with.
Old 28-01-2015, 07:01   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr42 View Post
I keep a sack of potatoes by the companionway in certain anchorages.

Kaiteriteri, Okahu Bay, anywhere around Waiheke, Nelson Harbourmaster...

Peace.

Paintball gun; runs 25 rnds per second and 350 FPS. You can paint a waking motorboat pretty quick. If they call the authorities on you they get to explain why they were passing you at speed within the range of a paintball gun.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 07:21   #12

Boat: Skookum 53'

Great video Target 9000, I have made that crossing twice this winter and got my butt handed to me both times until I got to the old Bahamas channel behind Cuba. I am glad to see you caught a good stretch of weather. Thank you for sharing.
Old 28-01-2015, 07:37   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Paintball gun; runs 25 rnds per second and 350 FPS. You can paint a waking motorboat pretty quick. If they call the authorities on you they get to explain why they were passing you at speed within the range of a paintball gun.
Be EXTREMELY careful doing that in Florida. The police wont have time to hear about why the power boater was speeding near you because they will be busy arresting you for a felony. Yes, its a felony to fire a paintball gun at a car, boat or a window of a house.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 07:47   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

If possible, I take a photo with wake, boat name and registration. Then I get on VHF and address the wakemaker, notifying I have his photo disobeying the rules and I will be forwarding it to all boat insurance companies.

I have several USCGA reports of liability for damage a wake causes that relate, you are liable for any damage your boat causes.

Pray for the "Wakemaker" for he knoweth not his father.

Tom Vandiver, Cal 46 Satori
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 07:59   #15

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Wisteria is not a good place to toss a hook. Lots of stuff going on over there. Long time occupants, who live on the hook for free there, actually think they own their spot, and have been know to pull a gun or hachet on someone who they think is moored to close.

I prefer the peaceful side in Garrison Bight north of the city mooring field. The holding is about the same. Just not as much traffic or drama.