Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 16:08   #31

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: My misguided faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
This just keeps getting better. Now we're beating people with canoe paddles.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yep. The Internet is a great thing because many of us would never hear from these nut cases otherwise.
Old 28-01-2015, 16:17   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Yep, almost as bad an idea as closely waking a large boat full of children. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. I certainly can, and have proved it before. Won't give up my principles for stupid laws. That's just me. You'd be surprised at the times the police have taken my side on that sort of thing, like the time the local politicians son jet ski waked our canoe full of children repeatedly, and I cracked him in the head with a paddle as he made a close pass. Busted his noggin wide open, police were waiting on the dock. He said he never got that close, cops said "then how'd he hit you with a four foot paddle?". They suggested he drop the assault charges and suggested I press charges for vehicular assault if he didn't. He dropped it. Bet he stopped waking canoes too!
Dude, the biggest wake I ever took was from a passing freighter on the Savannah River in GA. Even though I knew it was coming and saw it coming, there was no way to avoid it, only deal with it as best I could. I don't think shooting that freighter with a paint ball gun or even attacking it with a canoe paddle would have made a difference. Its not illegal for a freighter to make a wake as long as its operating within the speed limit for that portion of the river.

If you can't take responsibility for your boat and passengers and ensure their safety, you need to get off the water or boat somewhere where there cannot be wakes. A farm pond, perhaps.

As far as being willing to go to jail for stupid actions, apparently you didn't get enough time the first time to learn your lesson. I feel sorry for your wife and children. Get help.
Old 28-01-2015, 18:38   #33

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Until the day comes when everyone who operates a boat has to have passed a safe boating course you cannot expect this to change.
I don't think even this will help. Some people are just jerks. They have boats but they are not water-people.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 19:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I don't think even this will help. Some people are just jerks. They have boats but they are not water-people.
And they're probably rich people who don't hang out here. Or poor people who use their gasoline allowances on boats instead of cars.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 19:32   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Until the day comes when everyone who operates a boat has to have passed a safe boating course you cannot expect this to change. Even then you will still have the inconsiderate and/or inebriated boater to contend with.
Yes, of course there is historical support for this idea: consider how well requiring drivers licenses and driver training has reduced road rage and other illegal and dangerous driving practices on American highways.

A safe boating course or even more focused training will help some, but not eliminate inconsiderate jerks from the waterways.

Jim

PS While I too think that the paintball attack is not a good idea, I think paddle-whacking a jetski operator who comes within that range of a canoe, especially repeatedly, is justified. If one considers the number of serious and fatal accidents caused by those devices and their idiot drivers, trying to ward one off and away from one's children is reasonable and proper, and in this case, effective.
Old 28-01-2015, 21:28   #36

Boat: Skookum 53'

Only use paintballs if you freeze them and can be sure you will hit the other operator in the back of the head as he goes by.
Old 30-01-2015, 11:25   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
............ A safe boating course or even more focused training will help some, but not eliminate inconsiderate jerks from the waterways..............
You are correct but it can only help. I would like to see training and licensing. A violator could receive points against his or her license and eventually loose the right to operate a boat.
Old 30-01-2015, 11:27   #38

Boat: Skookum 53'

Of course, that is what we all need is more rules.
Old 30-01-2015, 13:20   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yes, of course there is historical support for this idea: consider how well requiring drivers licenses and driver training has reduced road rage and other illegal and dangerous driving practices on American highways.

A safe boating course or even more focused training will help some, but not eliminate inconsiderate jerks from the waterways.

Jim

PS While I too think that the paintball attack is not a good idea, I think paddle-whacking a jetski operator who comes within that range of a canoe, especially repeatedly, is justified. If one considers the number of serious and fatal accidents caused by those devices and their idiot drivers, trying to ward one off and away from one's children is reasonable and proper, and in this case, effective.

Agreed Jim; but if you had had your 60' loa boat with more than 15' of beam waked at 20 feet of range by a 40+ foot powerboat doing over twenty knots, while you have children visible on deck, with audible laughter from the flybridge as they pass, resulting in bleeding crying children, you too might wish for a bigger paddle to whack that bigger jet ski with. You might even go get yourself one, like I did. It's surprisingly common in the narrow island passes around here. They can't pass you at range due to the narrowness of the pass, and they refuse to throttle down, as the number of boats they must pass means they would essentially have to go slow the whole time, which is NOT why they bought a fast powerboat. So they just ignore the waking laws, put the hammer down, and laugh about it. Anything else would require them to admit that the entire philosophy of that sort of boat is unsustainable and unfriendly, not to mention the damage waking does to the environment.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 13:58   #40

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Agreed Jim; but if you had had your 60' loa boat with more than 15' of beam waked at 20 feet of range by a 40+ foot powerboat doing over twenty knots, while you have children visible on deck, with audible laughter from the flybridge as they pass, resulting in bleeding crying children, you too might wish for a bigger paddle to whack that bigger jet ski with. You might even go get yourself one, like I did. It's surprisingly common in the narrow island passes around here. They can't pass you at range due to the narrowness of the pass, and they refuse to throttle down, as the number of boats they must pass means they would essentially have to go slow the whole time, which is NOT why they bought a fast powerboat. So they just ignore the waking laws, put the hammer down, and laugh about it. Anything else would require them to admit that the entire philosophy of that sort of boat is unsustainable and unfriendly, not to mention the damage waking does to the environment.
A surplus Bofors or Oerlikon mounted topside just might do it...

Oerlikon 20 mm cannon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 15:22   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
A surplus Bofors or Oerlikon mounted topside just might do it...

Oerlikon 20 mm cannon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I used to sail on a ship that had a big divitt out of the port bridge window from a .303 some angry fisherman fired on the bridge with after sinking his ice fishing hut. The divitt made me happy. I never worried about the bridge windows failing.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 15:31   #42

Boat: Rafiki 37

What do you do when the offender is the Coast Guard?

We had a few jerks last season as we sailed through four of the five Great Lakes, but the most galling event happened as we were sailing into a port on Lake Erie. We were ghosting along at a couple of knots, and were sailing close of the marked channel so as to give lots of space to other who were going faster.

Out of the distance we see this fast moving CCG cutter, roaring along on a course that would take them between us and the bouys. It's the CG, so I don't give it a lot of thought. I assume they will divert as they closer -- but no! They cut between us and the narrow space between markers, throwing a huge wake and forcing us to rapidly round up to face their wave.

So ... who do I report this to?
Old 30-01-2015, 15:34   #43
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

unfortunately .. welcome to Florida .. Key West being one of the places i have avoided for many many years due to past experiences. congrats on your passage across the gulf. looks fun.
Old 30-01-2015, 15:49   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
What do you do when the offender is the Coast Guard?

We had a few jerks last season as we sailed through four of the five Great Lakes, but the most galling event happened as we were sailing into a port on Lake Erie. We were ghosting along at a couple of knots, and were sailing close of the marked channel so as to give lots of space to other who were going faster.

Out of the distance we see this fast moving CCG cutter, roaring along on a course that would take them between us and the bouys. It's the CG, so I don't give it a lot of thought. I assume they will divert as they closer -- but no! They cut between us and the narrow space between markers, throwing a huge wake and forcing us to rapidly round up to face their wave.

So ... who do I report this to?
Embarrassingly Mike, the ship I referred to above sinking the ice fishing hut was a CG ship. The shooter however was not CG. Just angry.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 15:53   #45

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I used to sail on a ship that had a big divitt out of the port bridge window from a .303 some angry fisherman fired on the bridge with after sinking his ice fishing hut. The divitt made me happy. I never worried about the bridge windows failing.

OK, I have to ask: how does a boat and an ice fishing hut get into the same space? If an icebreaker, what was an ice fishing hut doing on navigable waters?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote