Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2009, 11:44   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Book learning is pretty good can help, particularly with some small boat sailing...

to back it up.

My first sail with my new boat brought some changes:
  • I had only used a winch once and never a self-tailer (but I had read about them)
  • never used a windlass (but I had read about them)
  • never dealt with chain (but I had read about it)
  • never had through-hulls (but I had read about them)
and it was a 150 miles delivery in December with my 13-year old as crew. Small craft advisory. Gale warnings.

I did have 23 years of sustained and extensive small boat expereince all over the Bay, I had sailed all of the geography numerous tims before, and book learning is great.

I did have 2 engine failures and a through-hull failure (seal compartment, thankfully). I had to re-reave the traveler and reef lines underway when they jammed. We changed the huge roller furling genoa for smaller one at anchor when gale wind were forecast for the next day. We sailed into the slip at the end and without difficulty, the wind turning cooperative at just the right hour. Some book learning. Some smaller boat expereience, all coming together.

The story is on my blog ("Homecoming"), below. Except for freezing, it was a really good time. Unfortunatly, I have yet to get her out over night since... but very soon!

I don't have the missadventures I used to; I've made enough mistakes to recognize them as familiar and have another plan.
Old 13-05-2009, 16:47   #17
CLOD

Boat: none
I was just reading an old thread about running aground when someone says they have done it 3 times while drawing on 3'2". Regardless of what we all say I'm sure everyone feels like they were an idiot for having grounded. I fully believe I did nothing really wrong on this one. But considering that this was the first time I had taken out the boat it made me feel like I have gotten myself into something beyound my ability. Maybe some day it will fade, not sure whether that would be good or bad. Till then I will just have to work on drinking it off my mind!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 20:42   #18

Boat: 1977 Newport 30 MkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
But considering that this was the first time I had taken out the boat it made me feel like I have gotten myself into something beyound my ability.

Crashing a motorcycle for the first time has the same effect. You just have to get back on as soon as possible... otherwise you might never do it.
shibbershabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 07:06   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I grounded my new boat within 400 yard of the dock, first day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I was just reading an old thread about running aground when someone says they have done it 3 times while drawing on 3'2". Regardless of what we all say I'm sure everyone feels like they were an idiot for having grounded. I fully believe I did nothing really wrong on this one. But considering that this was the first time I had taken out the boat it made me feel like I have gotten myself into something beyound my ability. Maybe some day it will fade, not sure whether that would be good or bad. Till then I will just have to work on drinking it off my mind!
There was a narrow passage trough the bar, I new it was there, and I missed. I was going slow and backed off.
Old 17-05-2009, 08:20   #20

Boat: Sceptre 41
I grounded my boat within the first 24 hours of ownership. I was in Canada. Managed to run the Fraser river with no problem. All the twists and turns and navigation problems. Traffic, Fog, current, range marks. We made it to within a couple of miles of where we were going to dock. Checked in at the customs dock at Canoe Cove and then took off. There was a buoy covered with bird crap and looked like something was broken off the top. I had studied the chart and didn't see any problems so I left the dock and cut the buoy close. Turns out the buoy was marking a reef. At the time it was covered with 5'11" inches of water. I draw 6'. As soon as we hit I sent one guy below to check the bilge and got everyone else on the boat to port. A quick burst of reverse got us off the reef but I could feel the keel scraping. There were two channels to get to where we were going. One had a reef in the middle of it with clear water on either side. The local knowledge guy said to go thru that channel. The other was clear water but took an hour longer to get to our destination. I studied the chart and turned around to take the safer route. I also found my error. The lettering for Canoe Cove on the chart I looked at covered up the reef in the harbor. It sucked. Nice to hear I'm not the only one who grounded a new boat.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 18:50   #21

Boat: Skookum 53'
Stick to you guns Don! You have gained a great deal of good experience from a 3 day trip. It is not about whether or not you make mistakes, we all do, it is how you deal with them afterward is what really counts. If you don't run aground or break something, then you have never been anywhere or done anything.
Brad
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote