Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-12-2009, 09:42   #76

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I know you care and im most greatful and humbled.

Whats wrong with my avatar? Dont you like my hat? Does the stripey top make me look top heavy? Isnt my smile white or sincere enough?

Old 21-12-2009, 09:47   #77

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Dont you like my hat? Does the stripey top make me look top heavy? Isnt my smile white or sincere enough?
Yeah! Lose the furry tribble hat and the stripey top! You can keep the smile...wait, that didn't sound right...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 09:47   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Its a hat??? I thought you changed your hair color and cut it....
I cant make the picture any bigger ....from where I sit you look a LOT.... ah...more mature.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 10:05   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hi Anjou,

So sorry to read this thread! It must have been very difficult to write your post to us all.

There are still LOTS of guys out there. A friend of ours said she never dated a guy who didn't own a boat, now she's out here too

Your initial post about the boat work in the yard and the lack of communications was a couple of very important points.

I do implore people to look carefully at the condition and maintenance required on the particular type of boat they are getting into. Yes, a fancy old design, timber boat with big glass windows looking astern from a huge bed appears romantic on Yachtworld.com but can be really a dockyard nightmare compared to an all-plastic boat designed to not break down and have fewest maintenance days possible.

Men do need to realise that sitting in a marina or dockyard just doesn't cut it for the brochure shot of the cruising lifestyle that women thought they were getting into.

The girl who is currently asleep in the aft cabin bleats to billio as soon as we tie up to any wharf, but when we are in the cruising anchorages she is as happy as can be.

How does one work out if the person is a 'dockyard fixer' or an 'out in the anchorage' skinny-dipper? Read the log books? Close questioning?

Communications: We now each have our own laptop and the first thing we buy when we hit a new country is a USB modem broadband SIM card.

As for sitting at home waiting for the right man to come along, I would suggest you get off your butt, put your cash into your mouth and go have holidays where the cruisers get together in abundant numbers. Its like catching a fly with sticky paper if you are walking the promenade in Palma De Majorca in the season, or Gran Canaria before the ARC, Race Week in Antigua... OK just head to Antigua!

This point is about men: I know a few of them and have been one most of my life. I was single (in fact still not married) till I was 45, never had a woman for more than a few months. Maybe its taken me a bit longer than others to 'blossom', maybe most women are idiots and couldn't see any nice bits in me? Whatever. But there are huge heaps of single men out there waiting to be loved and who want to give away that special part of their heart. One thing that stops us being picked up by suitable women is the adage that all the good men are taken (in Australia all the women used to say all the single guys in Sydney are gay. Whaddabout me??). All the GOOD men are NOT taken. There are ports full of GREAT men with GREAT boats waiting to shove off into your combined dreams.

I'm sorry your heart was broken with this relationship, but please don't give up

Mark
Thanks Mark.
I didnt get where I am without being a little worldly wise and I know there is someone out there for all of us. More than one in fact, but the odds are we may never meet them.
Im not a fair weather cruiser, unlike Alans previous girlfriend who he says only wanted to tie up in the best marinas where there were shops and restaurants and had no interest in long passages of night sailing and star gazing. Im the one who rolled up my sleves and repaired the washing machine, who replaced the water tank sender unit, who made the drip feed oil heater work again, who replaced the broken gas ring on the cooker, who scrubbed the prop clean, stripped down the outboard carb, cleaned it, made new gaskets and fuel pump membrane and made it run again,who removed the holed genny heat exchanger and overhauled the fuel lift pump .......and a whole bunch of other jobs as well as cook, clean and do the laundry.
Work and maintenence is part of life and thats not what sunk the voyage for me.
Its all about partnership and finding the right partner is vital. I dont know how many peeps here have ever done internet dating but its a crap shoot. So many liars, cheats, fakers, deluded etc and when the person your hoping to find isnt in your home town, its hard to get to know them.

As has been suggested, maybe I need to move somewhere more central to boating, and im not talking Cowes. I need to be where like minded sailors are to be found.

So where do I go to rub shoulders with liveaboards and cruisers?
Old 21-12-2009, 10:15   #80

Boat: Cascade
How about..

Quote:

What about getting your own boat and moving to a marina. It sounds like you are handy enough for it. If your single it doesn't have to be big and you seem not to need 5 star comfort. Get in the game a little and meet some people out on the water.
Old 21-12-2009, 10:17   #81
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Thanks Mark.
I didnt get where I am without being a little worldly wise and I know there is someone out there for all of us. More than one in fact, but the odds are we may never meet them.
Im not a fair weather cruiser, unlike Alans previous girlfriend who he says only wanted to tie up in the best marinas where there were shops and restaurants and had no interest in long passages of night sailing and star gazing. Im the one who rolled up my sleves and repaired the washing machine, who replaced the water tank sender unit, who made the drip feed oil heater work again, who replaced the broken gas ring on the cooker, who scrubbed the prop clean, stripped down the outboard carb, cleaned it, made new gaskets and fuel pump membrane and made it run again,who removed the holed genny heat exchanger and overhauled the fuel lift pump .......and a whole bunch of other jobs as well as cook, clean and do the laundry.
Work and maintenence is part of life and thats not what sunk the voyage for me.
Its all about partnership and finding the right partner is vital. I dont know how many peeps here have ever done internet dating but its a crap shoot. So many liars, cheats, fakers, deluded etc and when the person your hoping to find isnt in your home town, its hard to get to know them.

As has been suggested, maybe I need to move somewhere more central to boating, and im not talking Cowes. I need to be where like minded sailors are to be found.

Wow your a hell of a woman, im supriced the guys are not lined up around the block!
Old 21-12-2009, 10:38   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Wow your a hell of a woman, im supriced the guys are not lined up around the block!
Ram, its all been said before and the reason they arnt lined up is because I dont go about marketing and flaunting myself. Some cant be bothered to make the effort to find out the real me, some say they are intimidated, some say im out of their league, others arnt my type and most of all, when ive got my head screwed on and not distractred , im very selective.

Maybe im fishing the wrong pond? Living inland isnt the best place to find a sailor, maybe a different species fish is needed.
A different hook and bait in a different pond might just attract the right fish.
Old 21-12-2009, 10:40   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
You got that right!
Old 21-12-2009, 10:50   #84

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Yup, but you need to move to where there is LOTS of coastline And lot's of sailors. You know....Alaska! (Just kidding!) Hey at least she's got the hat!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 11:28   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Distracted"...Hmm?
Old 21-12-2009, 12:00   #86

What about a charter holliday for singles? Maybe meet someone. That might be more flexible than buying and moving onboard. I geuss the downside is that once the vacation is over the daily routine sets in and kills the romance.

I have a single girlfriend turning forty this year. Good looking, nice, smart, .... she dated a lot and said she would never compromise on Mr right. She said to me now that she is starting to get lonely and wants to come with us on our family vacation this year. She hates the dating sites for much the same reason you stated. She doesn't want to hit the bars or nightclubs.
Old 21-12-2009, 12:17   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
I have a single girlfriend turning forty this year. Good looking, nice, smart, .... she dated a lot and said she would never compromise on Mr right. She said to me now that she is starting to get lonely and wants to come with us on our family vacation this year. She hates the dating sites for much the same reason you stated. She doesn't want to hit the bars or nightclubs.
You should get her onto Ocean Girl's site for singles on this forum.
Old 21-12-2009, 12:26   #88

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Its not just a woman's problem anjou....My brother in law is a great guy..very giving with his money and time to all and fantastic with kids..even ones he has no commitment too......Set in his ways?...aren't we all to a point?..Maybe that's crusty if so I am definitely a crusty old man then...

He has about the same problem as you anjou...he lives inland Alaska ( I got a kick out of your post FishTx) and works as a longshoreman.... is VERY much an outdoor person ..loves the water has halibut fished commercially ( never been sailing I don't think ) and is the life of the party personality..everyone he meets wants to be friends...Yet he is unsuccessful at finding his soul mate as well..Even spent 8k going to Russia to meet a gal from an Internet dating site..she was different then presented online. He loves to travel and spent a Couple months in NZ and Fiji after his last heart break to clear his head.

If you want to start a dialogue with him PM me and I will ask him if a reciprocal response is desired.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 12:35   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
You should get her onto Ocean Girl's site for singles on this forum.

Yes. Good point. She is not a sailing gal though.
Old 21-12-2009, 13:09   #90

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Yet.....

and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: