Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2011, 01:18   #91

Boat: Cooper 60 Pilothouse Sloop
Re: My Boat Scares Me

Don, don't worry about it. You have the skills. Enjoy the journey. You could be worse off. (no skills) You're scared??? I went from a 12 foot skiff 40 years ago to a 60 footer with nothing in between. Steep learning curve for me. But I love it.
windships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 01:49   #92

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Make sure you know your gear and don't depend on the anchor that comes with the boat , just ask MrB on CF he almost got home 3000 miles with his new to him Gemini 105Mc and ended up on the rocks because of the previous owners anchor that was left on the boat.
Old 28-12-2011, 03:40   #93

Boat: departure 35

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. I went the other way with my boat though. Smaller. MUCH smaller. I learned to drive on a nearly 1000 foot 4 engine aircraft carrier, then a battleship and the last one I was OOD on was a 400 foot frigate. Now we live part time on a 29 foot sailboat. What a HUGE difference it is. I used to think water hitting the bridge windows on the Midway was cool. Water in my face now scares the crap out of me! It's going to take some getting used to.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 17:32   #94
CLOD

Boat: none

Soooooooooooooooo go to the boat today to start getting it ready for the sailing season. No sails, dodger etc on the boat and it is all naked looking. So standing at the helm ............ the boats looks huge and I'm scared again! On top of everything the wind was really whipping and shaking the boat, which is on the hard on stands, and while walking along the sides I kept waiting to lose balance and fall allllllllllllllll the way to the pavement, which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down there!
Old 08-03-2012, 19:21   #95

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

I was always used to power boats growing up, the first couple I was on a sailboat that heeled WAY over I thought we might flip over. Then Tate reminded me of Physics and those laws..

It still took some getting used too..for a while it was hard to believe them.

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 20:49   #96
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Soooooooooooooooo go to the boat today to start getting it ready for the sailing season. No sails, dodger etc on the boat and it is all naked looking. So standing at the helm ............ the boats looks huge and I'm scared again! On top of everything the wind was really whipping and shaking the boat, which is on the hard on stands, and while walking along the sides I kept waiting to lose balance and fall allllllllllllllll the way to the pavement, which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down there!
Sounds as if the boat is angry. Probably upset because you've left it on the stands so long. Understand that your boat was built in Florida, and it hasn't been programed to put up with the type of abuse to which boats are routinely subjected in Salem, MA. I suggest you engage in some sort of ritual appeasement to once again bond with the boat.
Old 08-03-2012, 22:39   #97

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I suggest you engage in some sort of ritual appeasement to once again bond with the boat.

Like putting her back in the water?
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 22:51   #98

Quote:
Don, Are you going to take her offshore?
Old 08-03-2012, 22:54   #99

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
I went to my new boat today while moving stuff from the old boat. It had been 3 months since I had been to it (it's that frozen white stuff that lays around on the ground up here in the winter).

It's HUGE and I'm scared! You would thing one wouldn't be that scared of a 44' boat when they had been sailing a 39' one for a couple of years. But damn my Hunter 410 just makes my old Cal-39 feel like a toy! Fromthe helm the bow seems a looooong way away!

I look forward to getting over this feeling. Except when bringing it into the dock that will never stop causing fear in me to grow.
I feel for you, i spent two years building a 34metre charter boat come launch day and it hits the water all good except NO ONE has ever driven it!!!!

Same feeling it looked so small for so long then the mooring piles looked like tooth picks..... Happy days!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:12   #100
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I suggest you engage in some sort of ritual appeasement to once again bond with the boat.
Did a fair amount of drinking for a Thrursday, does ths count?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:42   #101

Sounds like anxiety or panic attacks. Ask your doctor for some Valium.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:49   #102

I know the feeling. Just go slow. Boat's get smaller over time. So much of it is just getting the feel for how things handle and respond.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 19:19   #103

Boat: Canadian SailCraft CS30

My first boat was a Hunter25 and then I went to a CS30. For me that first season with the CS was a large learning curve. Since then, no worries. She handles like a dream. We talk to each other.
Finian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 20:16   #104

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

Chrysler 22 to a Columbia 45... No problems. Love my boat now though.
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 06:19   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Finian.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote