Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 10:00   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: My boat nearly sank

Best to you for not losing the boat. I have to say, in my experience, "boating people" are always willing to help. I've needed it in the past and never fail to give it when others are in need. What comes around, goes around.

You never know what new friendships can develop with a little helping hand.
lfalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:46   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Good story, well told. Thanks for sharing.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 22:35   #18
rea

Boat: Mumby 48

Our Delphia 40 was anchored in the river at Bahia de Caraques, Ecuador for 6 months and there were islands of vegetation floating down the river. We had 2 anchors in tandem to hold the boat while we were hiking around S America!
All went well.
rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 22:47   #19

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

good to hear quick thinking people helped save your boat / the debris in storm water run off ramp up the anchor chain and build up against the stem / then floating debris build up against that allowing water pressure to add it's pound or so and test the ground tackle / there is not really any answer other than stay vigilant on weather and flood reports / oh unless you have a mate upstream that can give you a call if she is coming down
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 02:58   #20

Boat: No boat, looking again.

Update: I am very happy to say I finally found the folk in the shark cat who removed the log and weed on the front of my boat and so saved her from sinking. Actually, I only found the guy's wife. They have a house boat and he is away out at sea as he works on a boat. I gave the lady my thanks including a token of my appreciation that would enable them to get a quality carton of beer or a bottle of rum or gallons of milk if they prefer lattte.

Louis
Old 20-07-2016, 13:59   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo View Post
Update: I am very happy to say I finally found the folk in the shark cat who removed the log and weed on the front of my boat and so saved her from sinking. Actually, I only found the guy's wife. They have a house boat and he is away out at sea as he works on a boat. I gave the lady my thanks including a token of my appreciation that would enable them to get a quality carton of beer or a bottle of rum or gallons of milk if they prefer lattte.

Louis
Good on ya, mate, well done!

Ann
Old 20-07-2016, 15:15   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Well done indeed,

while I don't do it for thanks, I appreciate one when I assist someone.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 06:58   #23

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Wow... Thanks for sharing!
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 02:14   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

Good to see it's all turned out well in the end, your boat got saved and the good Samaritan now knows his efforts on your behalf were appreciated.

A little narrative on floods on east coast Australian rivers.

Once upon a time a state capitol got flooded after a deluge in the headwaters of the river it is built upon. The government of the day said we'll spend a big chunk of your money to prevent a reoccurrence by building a flood mitigation dam across the valley below the water storage dam already there. So they did.

A decade or so later the same government decided to build another water storage dam to the south of the city to provide the expanding population with water. The greenies and NIMBYs raised hell so their opponents said vote for us and we'll stop the dam and so it happened.

Then a drought came and everyone in the city raised hell because their lawns went brown. No problem, said the anti dam government, we'll get the private sector to build a reverse osmosis plant by awarding them a take or pay contract. However, before it could be commissioned it started raining again.

In the mean time some genius came up with the idea of using the flood mitigation dam for water storage since it was sitting there doing nothing most of the time. You have probably seen where this is going.

The gods hade hubrissy humans so they sent another deluge and because the dam was overfilling and in danger they opened the flood gates and flooded the city.

Sad but true.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 02:16   #25

Boat: Island Packet 40

Good to see it's all turned out well in the end, your boat got saved and the good Samaritan now knows his efforts on your behalf were appreciated.

A little narrative on floods on east coast Australian rivers.

Once upon a time a state capitol got flooded after a deluge in the headwaters of the river it is built upon. The government of the day said we'll spend a big chunk of your money to prevent a reoccurrence by building a flood mitigation dam across the valley below the water storage dam already there. So they did.

A decade or so later the same government decided to build another water storage dam to the south of the city to provide the expanding population with water. The greenies and NIMBYs raised hell so their opponents said vote for us and we'll stop the dam and so it happened.

Then a drought came and everyone in the city raised hell because their lawns went brown. No problem, said the anti dam government, we'll get the private sector to build a reverse osmosis plant by awarding them a take or pay contract. However, before it could be commissioned it started raining again.

In the mean time some genius came up with the idea of using the flood mitigation dam for water storage since it was sitting there doing nothing most of the time. You have probably seen where this is going.

The gods hate hubrissy humans so they sent another deluge and because the dam was overfilling and in danger they opened the flood gates and flooded the city.

Sad but true.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote