Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-10-2012, 10:26   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch
Re: Middle of the Atlantic- Emergency Breakaway

I was sailing south on Lake Michigan a few years ago and nearly got run down by a ferry out in the middle of the lake. I saw him coming on a collision course for a long time and tried to contact him by radio. I altered course but at 4 knots it was hard for me to get out of the way. My wife got some good photos. Still not sure if he ever saw me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Badger.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	48377  

Old 16-10-2012, 10:29   #17

Boat: Outremer 50S

That's funny, because I was thinking of a similar experience. Many years ago had a green light suddenly appear directly in front of me. Only a crash tack avoided running into it. At which point we were essentially stopped and watched as the sub finished surfacing. Can't believe they didn't know we were there, but surface directly in front of us they did.

Old 16-10-2012, 10:31   #18
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Middle of the Atlantic- Emergency Breakaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
I was sailing south on Lake Michigan a few years ago and nearly got run down by a ferry out in the middle of the lake. I saw him coming on a collision course for a long time and tried to contact him by radio. I altered course but at 4 knots it was hard for me to get out of the way. My wife got some good photos. Still not sure if he ever saw me.
Likely he saw you... but also likely he may have been limited by draught...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 10:38   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

We were in about 200 ft of water. Probably saw me but wanted to get a better look at such a handsome yacht ( :
Old 16-10-2012, 10:42   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
That's funny, because I was thinking of a similar experience. Many years ago had a green light suddenly appear directly in front of me. Only a crash tack avoided running into it. At which point we were essentially stopped and watched as the sub finished surfacing. Can't believe they didn't know we were there, but surface directly in front of us they did.
Years back we were leaving St Thomas heading for FL. Left late afternoon and were just off soundings at dusk. One of the crew pointed out a strange light that had just come on a few hundred yards directly aft, flashing yellow on top over the normal hi and low white lights, red and green fairly low. No one could figure it out so I ran below to find Chapmans to look it up. By the time I found the configuration for submarine all the lights had vanished.
Old 16-10-2012, 15:34   #21

Wow those are some really interesting stories. I have seen subs from the air and the one thing that impressed me was the foam trail they leave behind when they are underway on the surface. I think I will make sure to provision with lots of coffee for those late night watches.
Old 16-10-2012, 18:06   #22

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Skipmac-years ago we were about 30 miles off Charleston at about sundown and heard a big "Whoosh" and a Trident surfaced about 150 yards from us-it was scary, you never really realize how big those things are until one pops up right beside you! As soon as they cleared the surface, the OOD came on the conning tower and apologized to us over a bullhorn! He seemed as surprised as we were!
Old 16-10-2012, 18:11   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

A Chilean (if IRC) sub damaged a sailboat in the Straits of Juan De Fuca about 20 yrs back. I don't think the owner was ever compensated.
Old 16-10-2012, 18:31   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
Skipmac-years ago we were about 30 miles off Charleston at about sundown and heard a big "Whoosh" and a Trident surfaced about 150 yards from us-it was scary, you never really realize how big those things are until one pops up right beside you! As soon as they cleared the surface, the OOD came on the conning tower and apologized to us over a bullhorn! He seemed as surprised as we were!
I think I would much rather see one on the surface going down that to see one pop up next to me from underneath. Does make you wonder what would have happened if it had surfaced 150 yards closer.

I had heard or read somewhere that subs can't sense small boats, sailboats in particular with no engine running, before they surface. Guess you are evidence that that is true.

I did get to see one in daylight a couple of years ago when we were coming into Norfolk. An Alpha was leaving just as were coming into the channel. Very impressive even from 500 yards away, the minimum distance allowed which was being enforce by a fleet of armed RIBs, choppers and a couple of jets. All in all quite a show.
Old 16-10-2012, 18:41   #25

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Had a similar sub experience in the Straits of Juan de Fuca back in the 70's. He came up behind us very quietly and we didn't see him until he was abeam. The OOD snapped off a salute to us from the conning tower and he sounded with no noise whatsoever. My partner and I looked at each other and said, '...did that really happen?'
Not knowing much about 'The Silent Service', they sure lived up to their name that afternoon! Phil
Old 16-10-2012, 19:19   #26

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Yep those sub's make some wake coming out of Bremerton ! LOL at night ya need to keep a good watch as they can toss ya if ya don't see the wake coming !! "don't ask!!)
Old 09-12-2012, 18:28   #27

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

I had a close encounter with the other ferry crossing Lake Michigan. The one above is the c/v Badger. The last coal powered ferry (now retired). We were trying to enter a cut into the Milwaukee harbor. The wind was picking up a lot a so we wanted to scoot through quickly rather that douse sail (hank on jib etc). The Lake Express ferry, we encountered, is a high speed ferry that gets from horizon to scary close in a matter of minutes. We were the stand-on vessel, of course, but tacked away and let the big fast boat go through first.
Old 09-12-2012, 18:51   #28

Not the middle of the Atlantic, but still a close call. I was crossing the Buzzards Bay Channel in a dense fog so I was heading across at right angles. Had a big old Furuno radar onboard which of course was acting up, so I was down below twiddling with the knobs when my wife shouted she thought she heard something. I went up to the cockpit and shut the engine down to idle, and I could hear a loud and deep "thrum, thrum, thrum" off in the fog. My instant gut instinct was that it was right on our beam so I firewalled the throttle and moved ahead as fast as possible and a huge ocean-going tug popped out of the fog right next to us and just barely passed behind my stern with his cable obviously under great strain towing something big astern which we never saw. Felt like 50 feet, but it was probably more like 150 feet and it still brings a lump into my throat. Then once he saw us he started blowing his horn, which were the first blasts we had heard. I think to this day he must have just been playing with us as he should have seen us on his radar dead ahead in calm conditions.
Old 09-12-2012, 19:25   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I almost ran into a scalloper on the Burgeo Bank this summer, no excuse, near prfect conditions. I run kitchen timers even during daylight to remember to look, but had time set to 30 minutes. Too long.

IIRC some years ago a sub surfaced under a commercial fishing boat off Hawaii. Killed one or more.

Also this summer, Coming into St Pierre there was a sailboat race, open 60's from the looks of em. They all had AIS, but would not show up over 2 miles out. Since heard that they are required to have it, and do, but stick antenna in bilge. CCG was working a SOS and they drove right through his search pattern. Poor conditions, they would pop right out of the fog on you. Jerks.
Old 09-12-2012, 20:37   #30

Boat: Cal 29

Here's John Vigor's take on sleeping on watch at 20kts:

John Vigor's Blog

Tags
emergency

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: