Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2011, 15:23   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Don, you have seen Sigourney Weaver in Aliens, well those web crawlers look like the Aliens.
I'd rather they looked like Sigourney Weaver. Ok , she's not stunning but if you were a pirate would you board any vessel with Sigourney Weaver on board?
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 16:30   #17

Boat: Swan 391
Recovering Lurker

Well, I've been lurking for about half a year. We sail with friends on a J-Boat and in the meantime have started down the road with a long-fuse contract for our own boat. Livin' the dream? Not yet... but the process is firmly under way. Will chime in more. Thanks for this nudge into this 'Abyss'
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 17:52   #18

Boat: Prout Manta 38
I usually log in just to get rid of that big banner ad telling me to join up. Recently, however, it seems like I'm having to log in every time I check back in, even if I haven't closed the page in the meantime. Is there some kind of inactivity time out or is it just me?

Kimarah
Kimarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 18:32   #19
cruiser

it might be your security settings and saving of cookies
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 18:45   #20

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

.....for those of us on CF crack........
This is the part where I get emotional and drop my protective sharade of denying my addiction and ask... plead..... for help from a support group.

Can I check myself into a rehab for this?

I think I'm asking the wrong group.
Old 17-01-2011, 18:46   #21
cruiser

im not sure, but isnt there an app for that?
Old 17-01-2011, 18:57   #22

I lurk 'cause I was rebuked by the mods for being snotty when I replied to some thread. No doubt they were right, but I was left feeling awful, thus reluctant to get involved.
Old 17-01-2011, 18:57   #23

Boat: Islander 36
I dunno. Had to sell my smart phone to support my habit.
Old 18-01-2011, 07:01   #24

Boat: `99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 s/v Witchcraft
I lurk, as a registered member, because I'm a racer (crew)/weekend sailor (owner). I'm still trying to figure out what a "cruiser" is. Does two or three weeks at a time on the Great Lakes count? Or do you have to spend more than XYZ days a year aboard?

As I'm retired, and my wife still works, it's hard to get away for really extended periods.
MSN-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 07:14   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN-Travelers View Post
I lurk, as a registered member, because I'm a racer (crew)/weekend sailor (owner). I'm still trying to figure out what a "cruiser" is. Does two or three weeks at a time on the Great Lakes count? Or do you have to spend more than XYZ days a year aboard?

As I'm retired, and my wife still works, it's hard to get away for really extended periods.
I think being a 'Cruiser' is more a state of mind than how many miles you cover... MarkJ for example is not a cruiser... he set of with an end goal in mind... he's a circumnavigator.... second time round he'll probably become a cruiser... there's no real goal other than to dally as/when/where he feels like it... no agenda other than to enjoy it...
So yes... if you have a 'round the cans' attitude and then another attitude on your own that says.... "Oh bugger it.... screw the schedule.. lets spend a couple more days here on the hook..." Yes you could be a cruiser....
Can't abandon the schedule...? Then your a tripper and still tied to the land mentality of timetables and 'got to's'.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 07:37   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan kennedy View Post
I lurk 'cause I was rebuked by the mods for being snotty when I replied to some thread. No doubt they were right, but I was left feeling awful, thus reluctant to get involved.
Susan,
Please come back and tell us your opinions on things. Us mods are just trying to do the right thing for the forum. Sometimes we make mistakes. If you are ever not feeling right about something in the past we more than welcome a private message about the situation. We never try to embarrass someone or want someone left feeling bad about their post.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 08:05   #27

Boat: `99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 s/v Witchcraft
"Tripper" ... That's a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So yes... if you have a 'round the cans' attitude and then another attitude on your own that says.... "Oh bugger it.... screw the schedule.. lets spend a couple more days here on the hook..." Yes you could be a cruiser....
Can't abandon the schedule...? Then your a tripper and still tied to the land mentality of timetables and 'got to's'.....
Going in circles `round the cans has taught me sail handling, load balance and the importance of clear communications with your fellow crew members.

Never saw the “tripper” term used before but as long as one of us has that J O B thing going … that’s what we’ll have to be. I’ll think of it as “cruisers in training”.

This year will mark the transition from “point-to-point sailing” to “headed in a general direction and I’ll get you back in 17 days”. Time to break away from the marina restaurants `n hot-tubs and start using the systems aboard the boat. Cool thing is my wife is the driving force behind extended sailing.

Power boats for 20 years, three years with a MacGregor power-sailor and now a sailboat we can live on. Just have to learn how to get the most out of it.
MSN-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 08:40   #28

Boat: 50' sloop
Good morning -

Have been "lurking" while having my morning coffee! Enjoyed reading posts regarding budget sailboats, married couples, 39 bridges, and sailing in Greece.

David M, thanks for commenting to S Kennedy's note. It was considerate of you to take the time to respond and remind everyone " none of us are perfect ".

Smiles,
Sailing Mermaid
Sailing Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 09:15   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN-Travelers View Post
Going in circles `round the cans has taught me sail handling, load balance and the importance of clear communications with your fellow crew members.

Never saw the “tripper” term used before but as long as one of us has that J O B thing going … that’s what we’ll have to be. I’ll think of it as “cruisers in training”.
Hey... not knocking 'Round the cans'.... known some good sailors who started and stayed that way.... but cruising was something that made them twitchy.... it was not their scene... they liked the kudo's and 'pecking order' and also the competition/organisation/security.... take that away and they were not happy chappies.... one avid Laser racer friend freaked in open water in a force 6...
Cruising is more of a 'Loner' thing... there's not the same social scene tied up around the whole thing.
Its for those wanting to escape the 'Gatherings'..... a different Quality Time....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 09:19   #30
cruiser

i guess i just got lucky... i found two sites, and gravitated towards this one, without knowing the meaning behind the term cruiser...

but that is me... i cant wait to get wet... still waiting for more info and a better time frame... and getting sick while waiting for the house of cards to collapse.. but it will be a good thing when it does...i hope