Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2007, 10:19   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Life Ashore

I’ve been living ashore now for 21 years and I really hate it. I have accumulated so much junk that I’m thinking living in S. Calif would not be so bad an idea right now (house fires).

Yesterday was our 11th wedding anniversary and it just went right over my head. I knew there was something about the date but it just slipped away with all the stupid projects around the house. It a good thing I didn’t have anything to do with the boat yesterday or my ass would be grass.

The weather is getting cold now, so I cleaned out the shop to make room to work inside. And being the pack rat that I am I looked around and said to myself “why have I collected all this stuff?” It’s mostly tools and materials related to projects, including the boat.

I keep convincing myself that $$$ saved is $$$ earned. But the time is not replaceable. Between my job and my house stuff, I don’t have any time to myself or us. I was only able to go out sailing two weekends this year, all because I was too busy with house, yard and vehicle projects. Plus, my regular job and another company, I rebuilt his 30” ball grinder and then modified a big lathe to rough turn valve balls.

So, yesterday, I couldn’t even remember what day it was. Now I’m on the wife’s Sh** list for a while. She forgot three years ago, but that doesn’t count.

It seems setting priorities is the one of hardest things to do in life. One bad decision and your day, or week or life is screwed, the same as being at sea.

I remember one thing my father (a Merchant Marine) told me long ago when so strong willed; “That I’m not qualified to run my own life”. Meaning that I’ve never been this old before so how do I know how to react to life’s problems without the advise of someone more experienced. There are two ways; by chance or by training, and that gets back to decision making.

So today was a wake-up call. I need to keep my calendar up to date. That’s the only way I can keep track until I unload this land-based burden. Then of course, I’ll head to the S. Pac. and start all over again. But to modern man this is the only true freedom left; being able to move at will, and even that is becoming more difficult with time.

Thanks for listening! Now, back to work.
Old 28-10-2007, 11:20   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
My condolences re the sh** list. We've all been there for one thing or another.

Maybe you could have a "Manly Garage Sale".

Just before we left to go cruising, we sold our house and almost everything in it. It was a very freeing experience.

Several years later when we returned to shore living, we had to start from scratch with acquiring furniture etc. It was almost like being newly married in many ways. We also found that our tastes in decor had changed!

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 17:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Don't beat yourself up too bad - Take a long look at your wife and remind yourself (and her) all the reasons you are together.

Go out for a nice dinner and tell her how you feel. I bet you'll have an advocate on your side.

We moved out of the American Dream 3 years ago. Summer was cutting grass, fall was raking leaves, winter was shoveling snow, spring was mulching, feeding, planting and pruning.

We changed our game plan, went back overseas and I don't do any of that stuff any more. I sail every weekend. We used to go on unfulfilling vacations to the same hotels and stupid tourist places that everyone else went because "we were supposed to."

Now I take 2 weeks off and fart around with the boat.

Have that garage sale - consider moving into an apartment to simplify. If you can't sell the house maybe you can rent it?

You don't have to be in the S. Pac to enjoy what you have now - Hang in there!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 17:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Several years later when we returned to shore living, we had to start from scratch with acquiring furniture etc. It was almost like being newly married in many ways. We also found that our tastes in decor had changed!

Steve B.
And that is what I have found to be true. Every move has been like a new begining. Life it a bit like water. If it sits too long it becomes stagnate/fowl, but if one keeps moving things are renewed/freshened and that's what humans desire.

Have you seen an old shopping mall. There is very little business that can survive in one. But if it gets torn down and a new one built, even in the same spot, people swarm to it like bees to the flowers.

Remember the song by Janis Joplin "Me and Bobby McGee" and the words "Freedom is another word for nothing left to lose", is a bit how life works. The world of possessions can drag a man down. One only needs what he uses to get him where he's going.

About 15 years ago I started acquiring machine tools so that I could start up a machine shop of my own. Well, as time has passed the economy has been shipped off to the ouside world (china), so it's really difficult for machine shops to survive now. I have seen sooooo many close down in the past 15 years it's sickening. It's good that I stuck with a full time job other then my own.

So, I guess it's best to finish the boat, start selling everything off and head for the big blue.
Old 28-10-2007, 21:14   #5

Wow I know that feeling.

We moved to NZ only a few years ago with backpacks and having just moved to a different apartment we now completely fill a rental van. Sure There is a couch and coffee table, and the bed but where the did all these random boxes of stuff come from? We have a whole huge box of kitchen utensils for god sakes. Do I really need to own a potato masher? When I was in school all I had was a buck knife, a can opener about three forks and a spoon. Now I own a potato masher, two cheese graters (true they were left in the old apartment by the previous occupant, but do we need BOTH?), muffin tins, and two pie pans and a whole slew of spices. Our roomate has an avacado slicer thing, and dont think Clare doesnt get a gleam in her eye when she sees that sucker! But I suppose she puts up with my feet, so I guess its a draw. :O)
brian and clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 06:40   #6

I once had the pleasure of hearing Janice Joplin sing those immortal words,
"Freedom's just another word for NOTHING left to lose". Be wary of what you ask for!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 07:47   #7

Boat: NONE yet
I agree 100%, time has a way of passing you by as you are raking the yard! It took me about 10 hours Saturday to clean the pine needles off my roof and gutters and rake half my yard. I still have the other half the yard to do, with just half I got a pile the size of a small SUV.

I did not get my boat on the water at all this year, I was to busy with this and that and to broke from regular home repairs and feeding the kids.
Now have the boat listed for sale so someone with more "free" time can use her.

As for forgetting the anniversary, I have on my dresser a framed copy of the wedding announcement with the date on it, I see it everyday.
The wife and I have had some serious conversations about it and as soon as the kid at home is 18 we are selling everything and moving aboard, minus the antique sofa and arm chair, which we can store for free at the in laws.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 10:38   #8

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Your Wife and Kids????

I don't recall you saying anything about your wife and kids. How do they feel about cruising/sailing?
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 14:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I once had the pleasure of hearing Janice Joplin sing those immortal words,
"Freedom's just another word for NOTHING left to lose". Be wary of what you ask for!
Indeed!
I believe that "Bobby McGee" was the last song Joplin recorded, before her death (and her only #1 hit).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 17:40   #10

Boat: Catalina 22 MKII
My father always said 3 moves is as good as a fire when it comes to getting rid of things.
cferger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 17:48   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've been "fortunate" in that my job gets me to move every 3-5 years. It really helps clear out the clutter...
Old 29-10-2007, 20:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I've been "fortunate" in that my job gets me to move every 3-5 years. It really helps clear out the clutter...
Where can I apply??? Is it always by the ocean???
Old 29-10-2007, 20:09   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Where can I apply??? Is it always by the ocean???
Nah, not always by the ocean but always in interesting places. I am a field engineer for jet engines. We get placed on-site with customers to assist in the operation of our products. Now I manage the engineers so I'll be planted for a while at least.
Old 29-10-2007, 20:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Nah, not always by the ocean but ......
Darn! But I do have a brother that works for Lockheed and designs the guidance systems for the space shuttles. Does that count?

Nah! That's alright! I've got to stay close to the ocean. I lived in Phoenix for a couple years and I about fried
Old 29-10-2007, 20:38   #15
Kai Nui

Del, ask your brother if he is familiar with the Bonny Doon Facility. It overlooks the ocean. We had 25 acres Next to that facility before we sold out and moved aboard. Moving from that much space to a 34' boat, now THAT is when you realize how much crap you can accumulate in a short time.