Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 07:14   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
It's always amazing to see how small issues cascade into large ones at times like this. Nice work getting the boat squared away and home.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:31   #32

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
One fellow at the dock in KW did...... when he saw the footprints ON THE SIDE of the house!

We looked like the Beverly Hillbillies when we got in. It took over 6 months to put the boat back in pre-storm shape. EVERY piece of hardware that took load needed re-bedding. To this day the deck under the mast is 1/2" lower than before (the compression post is straight... dunno why the mast is lower), Every stansion needed re-bedding, all the lifelines were either replaced or re-swaged, the damned roller furling lines are NEW, the sails have both been repaired, the hydraulic tensioner was rebuilt (BTW, cudos to Florida Hydraulics and Rigging's Buc Miller!), The Bimini was repaired, the overhead in the cabin still has water damage and is on the list, the Boom Vang was overhauled because it got over extended, the boom/mast knuckle gizmo was welded where it broke, the boom is still bent a bit and the sail will only roll in 90%..... and I'm sure I'm missing something still!

I can say a CAL28 will float at 90+ degrees without shipping water through the companionway..... but a LOT sure comes in the dorades!

You were d**n unlucky wrt the forecast, and you did d**n well!

And I also ditto the 'Thank you for your openness' and for sharing. food for thought for everyone who makes at least an overnighter.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:13   #33

Location: Landlocked for now in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Boat: Home building project just starting.
Where I am going to school here on the prairies they get winds like these. They are something else to see in action. Some people I know were in a car that got hit by one. The car, an 80's Buick, was rolled 15 times by the wind off the road and into a canola field. Their grandmother was with them and she passed away on the way to hospital. They described it as a sideways tornado. They saw it coming but too late. The grain in the feild was blown flat in a stretch about 100 feet wide you could track the path of the wind over a mile back. There were a number of them that day. I saw full grain bins that had been blown away they looked like they had been a matchstick house smashed with a hammer. Environment Canada said they couldn't see the winds on the radar, something todo with them not really being a vortex and just an extremely localized extremely high-pressure cell.

On the water I can't see that you would have any warning at all. All I can say is wow and good job.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:24   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Riveting Tale BTW. I love this format, where we dissect what could have been done without upbraiding the OP.
Well done.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:35   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
sounds like you did what you had to do to stay afloat and sailing--- was a wicked season for all out there--we were out in that also--- took a coupla nites at 10 kts speed over water before we decided to shorten jib and drop main sail at night and add a preventer to keep boom from slapping --had nightmares of exactly what you went thru. wow!! glad you were able to get home ok...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:35   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
George,
We have suffered knock downs from B777 and B747 wake turbulence! Our sailing area is on the approach path to the airport. The vortices have created water spouts and we have been surprised by these. We tend the sheets as we cross the flight path and have had a couple of exciting moments.

One of these days I have to get a waterspout photo and post it.
CRAP! that has to be a sight! I looked on Google and this is the best I could find
Old 04-09-2010, 09:25   #37

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
Thank you for the great post and your openness. I am curious to know one thing. Were you were monitoring your barometer?
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 16:53   #38

Re: Lessons Learned from a Knockdown

we had no warnin gfo rour 60+kt wind off cabo---it was just there , and with a BANG!!!! as my taffrail popped a chunk off.......LOL...NEVER PREVENT YOUR MIZZEN TO THE TAFF OF A GARDEN 41 KETCH...but, winds are able to snatch busy out of the mouths of a nice calm and peaceful sailing time---usually called chubascos in baja, they spring up without warning nor radar blip. one minuet you sail slowly and quietly, than, as with my boat--BANG wholly schwartzes, batman, you are flying!!
most winds do make a mark in sky and on sea. there are some pacific winds without any warning. is why i like to leave dock reefed over here. makes the adventure more fun, rather than misadventurous....yeah,.i ma wimp, but.....my boat didnt knock down, and i am still happy with it.
Old 11-10-2011, 20:46   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
we had no warnin gfo rour 60+kt wind off cabo---it was just there , and with a BANG!!!! as my taffrail popped a chunk off.......LOL...NEVER PREVENT YOUR MIZZEN TO THE TAFF OF A GARDEN 41 KETCH...but, winds are able to snatch busy out of the mouths of a nice calm and peaceful sailing time---usually called chubascos in baja, they spring up without warning nor radar blip. one minuet you sail slowly and quietly, than, as with my boat--BANG wholly schwartzes, batman, you are flying!!
most winds do make a mark in sky and on sea. there are some pacific winds without any warning. is why i like to leave dock reefed over here. makes the adventure more fun, rather than misadventurous....yeah,.i ma wimp, but.....my boat didnt knock down, and i am still happy with it.
I've been wondering how you guys were doing down there. Hope Jova is gone. Sucks about the taffrail but from the sounds of it- it could have been worse. Glad you are ok!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 22:40   #40

jova will be gone by friday, mebbe--- we hoping she dies before arrival here.
]
taff loss was no big deal-- we had fun!! taff is replaceable-- fun is priceless! these boats are such fun to sail in a wind!!
we doing fine, so far-- still have things to repair-- gets hot in pair a dice!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:25   #41

The lessons from this thread really show that 'the difference between ordeal and adventure is attitude! '
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:37   #42

I'm happy it all worked out and thank you for sharing.

As an ex racer with many miles on IOR style boats we learned to make sure the boat was set up for knockdowns (ie secure below, clean tanks, safety gear on hand, boards in place with the boat buttoned up and crew practice). When you push a boat down hill the apparent wind may fool you into believing the true wind is not that high. Plant the nose into a wave face, get a bit sideways you discover your error plenty quick.

A knock down is no big deal but if you haven't enjoyed dipping the spreaders before it can seem like a big deal.

Glad it all worked out, go do it again.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:57   #43
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I remember (I think it was Chinchester) after a roll over there was a cooking knife stuck in the bulkhead next to his head. This one thing has helped me in deisgning my galeey as well as everything else in my cabin.
Old 26-10-2011, 19:40   #44

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Good story and a lot to learn from it.
As far as weather reports go, When I sailed from Clearwater Florida about 4 or 5 months ago to Tampa Bay, St Pete side. I got hit with a small storm cell off of Johns Pass. I was sailing along and saw a very distinct black line coming at me off the port side. I dropped the sails and got ready for a strong storm. I never got completely wet but heeled to well over 70 degrees twice.
The reason why I mention this was I looked at the news reports that morning, had a VHF and weather channels set, and still never got a decent weather report or warning. And this was in broad daylight.
You may not know the area but I believe Capngoeo does being from Sarasota. The best report I got that day was the sky moving fast east to west at Johns Pass. So I can see where weather can creep up on you. You have to be observant at all times and still that may not be enough in the end especially at night.(Translation) Keep your harness on at ALL times. Praying helps too!

P.S. I had a blast riding it out. Can't wait to do it again. Learned a lot about my good old boat. She is a real princess!
Old 27-10-2011, 08:26   #45

in the tampa area weather changes fast and with only the warnings you find from watching closely. they form over your head as you sail-- watch for the signs-- haze, disappearing stars on horizon at night, flukey winds are one of the final signs before they hit-- shorten sail and dont add when winds lighten and become flukey as you will get hit... the storms pack high winds and can really take ye for a ride-- fun to sail but scary lightning and wicked fast boat speeds..LOL the seas close to shor will be big n boxy , as is shot water-- dont get caught in skinny, short water--wont be fun--is better out in gulf. the storms keep within 40 mi of shore usually, unless they are from a strong front approaching.