Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 13:10   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37
Lessons Learned

Just arrived back from my longest trip yet; Mobile to Panama City and back again. Battery isolators are a must. I knew I had a week battery after the second day on the hook and ran the engine to charge same, but to no avail. Since, I was leaving the next day, my plan was just not use any juice til morning when it was time to crank. Needless to say, but when I went to do so the next morning my starting bank was dead. I had forgotten about that little thing called battery equalizatioin.

Lesson Number 2: shoes topside are a must. I've always insisted upon it while underway, but did not consider it while on the hook. Well, my crewmate jamed her toes in the companionway hatch slot and broke two toes. She missed the trip back but is otherwise okay. Just thought I would share what little information I can provide to the wealth of information this site has provided me.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am surprised that you lost all the juice in the batteries in 2 days. how big is the battery bank and how much were you consuming.

We had a guy on a race boat a couple of months back. He had a small line wrap around his toe and when the line went it ripped all the meat from the bone. I didn't see it personally but just hearing the story made me cringe.

I routinely sail with no shoes. Except when racing. Don't know if I can change that habit readily but I should.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17   #3

Boat: Endeavour 37
The house bank consist of two number 27s. I was surprised the batteries were depleted so quickly as well, but I'm pretty sure one of them is bad since it didn't take a charge after running the engine for almost an hour with a 100 amp alternator.

Yea, after looking at her foot the next morning, some form of toe covering is a must topside. There are some good scandals out there with rubber toe covers that are pretty close to being barfeoot. Of course, not the same, but there are so many stingrays around here that they come in handy when walking in the water too.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote