Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
I was once on a nearby boat for cocktails on a windy night...and watched my boat drift by making good time towards the reef...think I set a new record for getting over the rail and into the dink!

Another suggestion to the OP -- know the bottom type where you plan to anchor. You can get this info from charts, cruising guides, and other boaters. Use the right type of hook for that bottom type. Sounds like a danforth-style anchor was not the right type for there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Re: Leaving Your Boat at Anchor on a Windy Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
Yes thanks for all the feedback. As to your point I should have used more reverse and it is standard procedure from here on out.
Absolutely! If you back down hard on the Fortress, that should send it to China, and if it broke free while doing so, then good....better then than later when the boat's unattended.

Which model do you have?

Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:03   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post

Absolutely! If you back down hard on the Fortress, that should send it to China, and if it broke free while doing so, then good....better then than later when the boat's unattended.

Which model do you have?

Brian
I will have to double check the model but I think it is the G-23. I have had great luck with fortress on a different boat anchored in sand. I think this bottom type warranted a plow type anchor and better setup on my part.
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:09   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Fortress Anchor on a 150' nylon rope with 10' of chain. The water depth was 17' so I put out 100' of line.
Jacob

I wouldn't anchor to piddle over the side on that set up.

But in a more constructive frame..... I don't think I have ever left Sea Life on a first night at anchor with the wind about 20 or so knots.

No matter how cool the kit is and all the knowledge in the world about the area you never know if the pick is gunna stick no matter if you have dived on it. You may be dug in but over a rock or on top of a plastic bag etc.

So th first night I am ready for the big slip to happen.

It must make it hard for weekend sailors who race off to a bay to go to a restaurant, party, bar etc... But for cruisng people we have all the time in the world so shouldn't make 'forced' mistakes.

Mark
PS a rope rode IMHO is no rode at all.....

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Leaving your boat at anchor on a windy day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Maybe. But for those of us more attuned to the wind, our unconscious minds may pick up a wind shift, even while ashore, before we consciously become aware of it.

Maybe that's what happened with the OP?

When that little voice inside your head says "Something's up," better to listen. I have been living on my boat long enough that a wind shift wakes me up. At a dock -- so what? Anchored, you have to stick your head up and look around.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post

Which model do you have?

Brian
It is a Guardian not the Fortress sorry for the wrong model reference (same company). They look very similar having owned previous Fortress anchors. What is the design difference?

I don't believe you use these with all chain rode as some would suggest. Is that correct?
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:31   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As others above have said, most cruisers who have been at it for any time at all, would never leave our boats unattended the first day and night. Most all of us have had problems when at anchor, so have learned a lesson, some the hard way ! Most of the years Connie and I have been cruising, we have had a small choice of anchors, so we have spent many many days hanging from danforth anchors! and except for extreme wind changes, will hold like glue in most bottoms, if backed up by a good amount of chain ! and a hard back down. We are sorta stuck with a danforth again, as our new to us boat has a hause hole type of anchor launch system that will require a stright shank in order to work ! so all the NEW style anchors will not fit ! But Im not to worried, Ive spent plenty of time with them, and never go ashore without somebody aboard who can take care of any problems ! just my 2 cents, my boat is my home and Im gonna try and keep her safe !
Old 01-05-2013, 09:31   #23

Boat: Seafarer 38
Our Fortress is amazing. For its weight it has unbelievable holding and sets almost instantly. I would use a bit more chain than you did, but when backed down on, in my experience, a Fortress doesn't move.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
I don't believe you use these with all chain rode as some would suggest. Is that correct?
Then you gotta use a propper anchor.

On rope rode in 17 feet of water, say 6 feet freeboard when pulled back, its 161 feet of rode at 7:1 needed. And that's only if you have anchored at the top of the tide. Chuck 6 feet of tide and its 203 get of rode.

160 feet of rope will have you drifting all about the anchorage like a rolling cannon ball. That rope sawing across the bottom will be mincemeat on any rock, bit of trash, junk, metal or porcupine fish.

The initial difficulty, of course, was the out of action windlass.... That would have put the ringer on the night for me. Unless I could manually work the windlass for the main anchor. But you need the windlass for one very good reason... It ain't rope you're pulling up!

Sorry it wrecked your night. Cruising can be a pain in the derrière at times

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38   #25

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

My Fortress or Danforth style anchor is used as a lunch anchor or a kedging anchor only.
Never leave your boat unnatended on these style anchors.

Unless its oversized, heavy chain, 10/1 scope and the perfect holding for these style anchors and only in calm weather and for brief time periods.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46   #26

Boat: Beneteau 393

Hi Jacob,

There's always some form of excitement on the water! Glad all ended well.

This spot reportedly doesn't have the best holding in the world but I've never had a problem. However, it is supposedly better than in the harbour (I've never anchored in the harbour myself, too tight for me). As others have said, the wind shifts here can also expose you to a good bit of fetch. Plus, your anchor is best suited for non-shifting winds. We were anchored in Hudson Creek off the Little Choptank last weekend, and the winds there went from light W winds to 15-20 kts SE in the early evening. I could see a similar wind shift with your anchor at St. Michaels causing some drama!

If you have a decent dinghy, next time you might consider dropping the hook in Leeds Creek, which is just across the Miles River. It is much more protected and IMHO better holding. I also like the San Domingo side. I have heard folks complaining about holding here as well, but I myself have never had a problem.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:01   #27

Boat: Finnsailer 38

And then there is always the boat that fouls your anchor with their anchor, pulls up both, and drops yours back over the side so now you are hanging on an unset anchor. I'm pretty sure that has happened to me before as I was well anchored, having backed down hard in a spot I have anchored many times. I went ashore, the wind was moderate, and when I came back my boat was in a somewhat different spot. I decided I'd better reanchor, and when I went to pull it up it just came up--hardly any hold at all. Luckily, with the anchor gear I had and the wind level I wasn't going to drag anywhere, but still it is a bit upsetting.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42   #28
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Then you gotta use a propper anchor.

On rope rode in 17 feet of water, say 6 feet freeboard when pulled back, its 161 feet of rode at 7:1 needed. And that's only if you have anchored at the top of the tide. Chuck 6 feet of tide and its 203 get of rode.

160 feet of rope will have you drifting all about the anchorage like a rolling cannon ball. That rope sawing across the bottom will be mincemeat on any rock, bit of trash, junk, metal or porcupine fish.

The initial difficulty, of course, was the out of action windlass.... That would have put the ringer on the night for me. Unless I could manually work the windlass for the main anchor. But you need the windlass for one very good reason... It ain't rope you're pulling up!

Sorry it wrecked your night. Cruising can be a pain in the derrière at times

Mark
This is the Chesapeake:

* Tide in that area. Perhaps 1 foot, mostly determined by the wind not the moon. largly irrelevant in the upper Bay.
* Cutting the rode. Unspeakably rare. The bottom is mud. Possible, but very rare. There are shells, but they arn't that sharp.
* 17 feet. In 25 years, I don't think I have EVER anchored over 12 feet in the Chesapeake. It is ALWAYS possible to find find less deep water to anchor in. 6-7 is more typical for me.
* I would have used the chain and my main anchor anyway, in that spot. I just wouldn't have enjoyed the morning much.

However what the Bay does have in abundance is alternative harbors. There are snug little coves all over, and if the prime spot is full, move to the next one. Fortress anchors are common as secondaries because the mud is often poor holding, which is why I don't care for anchoring in the open when the wind is up; since you can't see the anchor, it's just to hard to see what you've got.
Old 01-05-2013, 13:06   #29

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

same thing happened to me in Deshais Guadeloupe. Anchored in 30' of water, probably not enough rode out. I wasn't watching, and no one saved her but me, after the anchor hung up on the reef before the boat touched bottom.

That was a bad day.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:36   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
It is a Guardian not the Fortress sorry for the wrong model reference (same company). They look very similar having owned previous Fortress anchors. What is the design difference?

there is no way i would EVER use less than all chain on a long term anchor situation. to use rope rode is to sign away your boat to salvors. doesnt matter the kind of anchor---the rope will chafe above the splice and you will ose boat. watched and heard this more than you have days on earth, no matter your age.
as i do not leave my boat for more than 12 hours at a time, having watchd over boats left at anchor--isnt an easy thing to do for someone--accept responsibility for their anchoring job as they flee their boat in a wind or storm season. is not wise.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor