Because I did the most dumbest stupidist thing you could ever imagine today. It could have cost me my boat and my life. All becuase I broke the golden rule
of not double checking and testing before connecting battery cables
I am alittle embarresed sharing this, but I hope it will aid others to think clearly before hand as well.
I got my starter all bolted back up and electricaly connected. Threw the isolator switch and then climbed out of the engine
room. I went to the start button to turn the engine
over and was suprised to have nothing happen. I though, oh great, flat batteries. How I wasn't sure, but it must have been something to do with the fact that they were disconnected from the charge system and somehow a current
draw must have flattened them. I went below to the DC control board and looked at the voltage and ensured the charger
was on and charging
. I was watching the charger
put 30A into the bank and yet I was watching the voltage on the bank slowly drop away. I just couldn't get my head
around what was going on, till I suddenly smelt smoke. I instantly new what was happening.
From this point on I broke all the rules. I had fire extinguishers in place and near by, so I instant lifted the engine room hatch
. Smoke billowed out. I was expecting the room to explode with the rush of air, but I knew I had to get to that isolator switch. I managed to reach it and get out. I threw on the exhaust
fan and opened all hatches and vents and evacuated the boat. The smoke disapated and after about 15min I went back down to take a look. There was still smoke but I could see the damage. All my battery
leads had compleatly melted. But then I noticed something really strange and suddenly I was back to emergency
stations. The main fuel
line which is hydraulic line with steel
braid in it was smoking. It was continuing to poor out smoke and I realised a cable must have melted through to it and it was using the fuel
line to get to earth. Expecting the thing to explode at any minute, I had to climb down into the engine room and get to the batteries themselves and disconnect the cable from the bank itself. But in my hast to climb down, the hatch
fell and hit my head
. This thing doubles as the floor and is solid teak
and weighs a lot. I can only figure that the adrenalin stopped me from being knocked out. In fact I didn't really feel anything. but as I was undoing the cvable and trying to hold my breath, as the smoke was burning my throat, my glasses filled with blood and I realised I was bleeding rather badly. I removed my glasses and continued to disconect everything and got out of there. The fuel line settled down and then my head started to hurt. I disconnected the house banks as well because I had no idea of the state of any wiring
I didn't feel to good and so I came home and had a wee sit down. Now I have to start rewiring all the batteries.
The start banks are capable of delivering 1800CCA. They sure made quick work of the huge cable I used. I have seen wires melted before, but I have never seen anything quite like this.
So becareful when playing with these huge currents. They can be leathal.
Rick if you are reading this, do you think dead shorting Calcium/lead (AGM or Gell--not sure which one) will have damaged them ???