Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-04-2006, 21:42   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Well Pilot, was there a court case? What was the outcome? I couldn't even find evidence of an investigation - I thought the NTSB would have done one??? Do you know if an investigation was conducted? Is there more to this story - please tell.

Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 22:01   #47

I don't think the NTSB got involved because there was no signifcant personal injury.

The last I remember, the speedboat owner was suing the CG Aux captain over the accident. Outcome unknown to me.

My knowledge is based on the local news coverage of the event. Interviews with all parties involved played out for a couple of nights after they showed the crash over and over as "teasers" to get people to watch the next news broadcast.

Once the story got "old" the coverage went away.

I wish I had more to offer but you can look at the gunwales of the boat and tell it's not the same CG boat that was in the original scene. The local coverage clearly showed it was a private vessel doing CG Aux work. Our local CG station was scrambling to distance themselves from the crash.

PA28235Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 14:39   #48

Wow... incredible first hand knowledge. That makes more sense to me.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 20:30   #49
Kai Nui

The rolling camera, and the non uniformed personel on board looked odd to me. Makes sense now.
Old 18-04-2006, 15:58   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
What caused this accident...

While it is human nature to want to blame someone when an accident occurs, the emphasis in aircraft accidents is to make sure that they do not happen again. Maybe we should apply the same criteria when discussing this accident.
To my mind this accident and the one involving the ferry and the power boat happened because of deficiencies in three main areas. They are the psychology of command, the physical limitations of the situations and the physiology of the persons involved.
No one has expressed empathy for the persons in command of the four vessels discussed but each of them has found themselves in an unfortunate situation that in at least part was not of their making.
The ferry master was in the position of bringing a large ship out of a tight berth, doubtless under time pressure and at the start of a voyage when there would be many other details to attend to. I did not see any discussion of the lookouts (there must have been some) bringing a developing situation to his attention. I have been in the position of finding a large ship suddenly reverse out and was surprised at the speed at which it all happened. A few toots of the horn and the situation gets very interesting.
The Commander of the Coast Guard vessel may have been under similar pressure. He was taking part in an exercise which by its very nature may have been designed to stretch his abilities and his mind was no doubt considering what lay ahead rather than the possibility that a high speed craft would come up rapidly on his starbourd side.
The driver of the speedboat may have been on a route that he had traveled many times and may not have been expecting a fast boat to be crossing his course.
The Captain of the motor boat would have had the accumulation of old age and progressive modification of his boat creep up on him and was possibly unaware of how poor his visibility and hearing had become.
My point here is that any of us could find ourselves in a similar situation to any of these four sailors with little or no warning. We should be thinking ahead to work out what should we do to make sure that this does not happen to us.
First I think that these accidents emphasise the need to keep a proper lookout that relates to the position that we are in. We need to do a proper scan when we are on watch (I was taught to do this when I got my pilots license) as when two vessels are on a collision course then the relative bearing remains constant, but this is the situation that our eye is least likely to detect.
Second at times of high workload or risk the crew needs to be much more involved in the management of the boat. For example if a 150% genoa is being flown if there is the possibility of other traffic then there may need to be a bow lookout.
Third we need to be aware of our own limitations, both biological and psychological, and to take steps to ensure that they do not interfere with the safe navigation of our vessels.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 10:11   #51

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I too am a private pilot and one of the biggest things my instructor taught me was situational awareness, always be scanning the airspace. Obviously this is intended for VFR situations, however, in the instance of my son who is a B-52 pilot. They have their heads buried on the panel not out the window.

I guess what I am sayin is while I am in the plane or boat I am constantly scanning from side to side to see what is out there. That may have prevented the accident?

Mike & Paula
S/V Tivoli
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 15:39   #52

Again, I agree with Island Mike. I also agree with the spirit of Chris's post. Better than pointing fingers, learning from an accident benefits all.

My point in this thread was that it was surprising, but also that people on the forum could see an example of what appears to be the rules of the road being broken. (In many ways in this example)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 18:14   #53

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22

We recently had a BC ferry hit a rock and sink. An enquiry will happen some day, will be interesting to learn how they managed to mess up. They were in a nice open thouroughfare and needed to turn left about 12 degrees, but that did not happen. Stay tuned. Louis Riel may have his ear closer to this than others.
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 13:25   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

totally unexcusable

First and foremost someone on the CG boat was filming the entire way as the two boats approached and maintaned the collision headings.

Second, both persons in the other boat were looking the other way the entire time.

All should be banned from the water in anything over 5hp!

Randy Cape Dory 25D

rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: