Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2012, 11:08   #181

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: i'm spending so much money it hurts

I've been using Mahogany for years on the outside of boats. I've never had a rot problem. My Tartan Blackwatch had 6/4 Honduran Mahogany and rot never an issue. The boat was a 1966 and I know that of recent, the boat still is in perfect shape. So that's 46 years rot free.
Here is a link describing Hondo Mahg as an excellent wood for weather and boat building.

http://specialtywoodsolutions.com/homa1.html

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48   #182

Yeah, but finding good wood in the states is actually very difficult. I had to settle for Philippine Mahogany on a recent project. ANd it was a bit more than $3 a foot too

I'd love to find a reasonable source for Ipe here in seattle. Don't wanna drive to Port Townsend for it

Old 11-10-2012, 12:19   #183
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

phillipine mahgany is soft wood--the primary reason behind rot in formosa yachts, cts and hardin-- i have seen lovely mahogany hulled boats fall apart from plank rot and sink before my eyes in san diego, and i have seen and posted here about the dry rot mahogany gets from sitting in desert air--is a sneaky wood, and rots from inside to outside. beautiful wood, but i would do no structural work with it. surprise!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:26   #184

Boat: 33ft sloop

@ Zeehag

No, it is not Yoruba but possibly Yatoba. Often used for construction parts in shipbuilding.
Class I wood.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:47   #185

Cruisers Forum Supporter

yoruba sounds like it--yes thankyou--is not pricey here at all--so i will use some. have a forehatch to rebuild before sea time....
Old 11-10-2012, 13:58   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
phillipine mahgany is soft wood--the primary reason behind rot in formosa yachts, cts and hardin-- i have seen lovely mahogany hulled boats fall apart from plank rot and sink before my eyes in san diego, and i have seen and posted here about the dry rot mahogany gets from sitting in desert air--is a sneaky wood, and rots from inside to outside. beautiful wood, but i would do no structural work with it. surprise!!!!
It should be noted that Philippine Luann is not a true Mahogany and yes, very proned to rot. It's a great light (weight) wood for interior cabinetry cleats and such and mixed with other woods can enhance an interior nicely. I have seen it used in dinghy building with very poor results.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Old 11-10-2012, 14:02   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
@ Zeehag

No, it is not Yoruba but possibly Yatoba. Often used for construction parts in shipbuilding.
Class I wood.
Are you sure it's not Jatoba you're talking about? A variation of Brazilian Cherry. I used it in my Hawaii house. Gorgeous and a pleasure to work with.

Old 11-10-2012, 14:13   #188

Cruisers Forum Supporter

cs--the wood i was referring to is a hardwood that is used in boat building in mexico and is supposed to be rot resistant, possibly bug resistant,...and not pricey here in mexico..the name was a yo--- sound in spanish.....i didnt hear any t sounds in the name, tho--r is possible--i will ask again when i see the person told me of it.
Old 11-10-2012, 14:34   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cs--the wood i was referring to is a hardwood that is used in boat building in mexico and is supposed to be rot resistant, possibly bug resistant,...and not pricey here in mexico..the name was a yo--- sound in spanish.....i didnt hear any t sounds in the name, tho--r is possible--i will ask again when i see the person told me of it.
That would make sense then... a "Ja" can be pronounced 'Yo' or 'Wo'. I know Brazilian Cherry does grow in many regions of Mx.

The Best Woods for a Boat Seat | eHow.com
Jatoba Exotic Wood & Jatoba Lumber | Bell Forest Products
Exotic Wood jatoba

Old 11-10-2012, 17:36   #190

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
My first six months looks something like this.
1200 in launch fees
1600 haul out and bottom paint
4700 slip fees
800 powder coating hatches
4300 rear deck rebuild
4500 new refridgeration/install
1000 recovering cushions
800 two new deck boxes
200 new sink/counter top
2000 probably in various parts, lights, pumps, rebuild kits.
Cant remember my insurance bill. 1300 maybe?
Still have to do standing rigging, running rigging, front deck refurb, engine cleaning and work, motor mounts, thruster install/rework, wind instruments, engine instruments, work on auto pilot, hydraulic steering, cabin sole, rebuild starboard side of salon with mahagony, replace cabin sole, sort out plumbing, restore/replace the AC units, repaint/rebuild the masts, replace or repack/inspect the life raft, clean and refurb the sails, sort out electrical panel, replace and repair to ABYC standards, fix teak cap rail, replace all exterior lights. Did I know about it before, yes on some level, did I really understand the undertaking, no not really. Do I enjoy working on the boat, yes very much. Would I sell it if someone came up and offered me exactly what I have in it....yes probably! would I then obsess about it and second guess that decision, yes. Owning and older sail boat is something of a disease and akin to an addiction...all these things I'm learning as I go, and patience, lots and lots of patience.
Good post, and very honest

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 19:46   #191

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
We're three weeks out from leaving the US for a few years, post shakedown cruise. I've already hemorrhaged serious dough, but the bleeding continues. Current crop:

- Repairing (hopefully, please god not replacing) heat exchanger.
- Stern chainplate (has to be fabricated; not just bar stock).
- Shrouds
- Engine spare parts

We saved up for it, but it still stings. I know people don't talk about numbers on here a lot, but I'll probably have dropped about $20K in the last couple of months which to me is a chunk of change. Took a long time to save that up. And that's with me doing nearly everything I can physically do, but I can't pull cables and heat exchangers out of my ass so those need to come from somewhere.

I'm just kind of ranting. It's this insane dichotomy of wanting the bleeding to stop, but also not wanting to be totally screwed in the middle of BFE.

Again, I'm talking *minimum* stuff here. No fancy gear, nothing elaborate, plenty of stuff that can be put off is. It's still crazy money.
We really can feel where you're at, even though we don't have young family concerns...

But we're about the same... must've struck an artery somewhere because money is pumping out everywhere.

We bought our boat from a couple who were actually cruising, so figured we'd just take over their cruising life. Shouldn't be much to do... LMAO

Transmission and water pump went in the first few weeks. Sailed from the Caymans to Chesapeake Bay to escape the hurricane season and work on the boat with a sailing buddy here who is not free, but very reasonable.

Ground tackle was hopeless so completely rebuilt with 105lb cqr up from 65lb. Rebuilt bow rollers are a work of art, and cost about the same.
Fuel tanks leaked and had no gauges, so big repair and improvement there.
Generator was running 5 hours per day. Got it down to 2 hrs and we're adding 600 watts of solar. Much help from CF members
The davits are useless so redesigning them so they can actually get a dinghy up and down with one person, not 3. Oh yes,,, buying a dinghy too!

But the biggie is that they had 'guests' most of the time and motored when they didn't. The main gooseneck is 6 ft off the deck and the top of the stackpack 4 ft above that. Acrobat experience definitely an asset, or tall crew.
Sails, stackpacks and lazyjacks all coming off and behind mast rollerfurling going on main and mizzen. It's essential if we want to be able to sail this little ship as a couple.

None of this was expected or budgeted for, but our 'home' will be so much more like we were expecting, even though we'll be living on dry bread and black coffee for the next few years.

Hopefully we can get through it all well before Santa arrives and we can head south. It's already way too cold for our Aussie blood here

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49   #192
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Vic (and RH as well)

While it is usually a hereditary disease, buying an older boat causes the onset of a sort of yachtsman's Fiscal Hemophilia. The only known cure is to cast off dock lines and head to sea where the hemorrhaging will quickly abate. With any luck the disease is not fatal but discomfort is usually severe and leads to loud complaints from those who suffer from it.

Hang in there, guys... perseverance will win out in the end!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-10-2012, 04:16   #193

Buying an older boat is not always wise but if you know or are aware what is coming ahead, it is a controllable process.

I have been told by people buying up US boats from auctions that there is generally no maintenance culture, running things till they brake down.
I have seen some of those boats (mostly Grand Banks, Chris Craft - 40-60 ft)
and indeed they were in poor condition not to say run down.

Buying such a boat should be done only 1) if you have a more than moderate knowledge of the inside of yachts, and 2) if you have TWO right hands which means that you must possess a good technical and mechanical skill and hands to follow.

It have taken me almost a whole year to fix my little Neala and still there are some tasks ahead.
I know that the hard core of this forum know precisely what they are doing, I can read that from their posts. Whatever you do, make sure that a repair job is finished with care and precision. A guarantee that the job will last.
Stay away from the jobbers, especially those in the big (and costly) marina' s.
Ask around, ask for references when a difficult job has to be executed, like the general overhaul of an engine and make sure that it is not "spray-gun" overhauled. Or buy a new one. Beta' s, Kubota' s etc. are not expensive and quite reliable. Here in Holland they match sometimes the price of a reconditioned one.

We are lucky to live in a dense and technical skilled society, where parts are easy to find and sufficient mechanics to fix jobs requiring costly tools and gear. That is the prime reason that I am able to keep my running costs low.
I lost this season due to familiy-affairs and the upgrade of the boat.
At least, next season will be for me, having what I otherwise could not afford.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:01   #194

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Met a fellow this summer. He has been working on his boat for 17 (yes seventeen!) years now. He is finally able to sail it, although it is not finished yet inside. Now, of course, he's looking at the inside and thinking some of the work he has already done needs to be redone because it's
a- getting old and worn
b- out of date.

He claims he will circumnavigate (someday)

I doubt it

Old 12-10-2012, 05:13   #195

Well, you (and I) won' t have such problems.
But they are definitely there. Old, run down boats under tarpaulins looking terrible of wear and tear. Ships that will never reach the salts.

Tags
money

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: