Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 23:51   #361

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: I Think I Saw MH370

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post

C) "She could have saved their lives"... Do you think I don't know this. If this is true, then it is a fact I will have to live with forever, and is a far more horrific crime against humanity than I could ever have considered I could ever be guilty of. And until this is cleared up, that guilt will always be in me and with me. And how does one even begin to make amends to the families on something like this? I don't know. But, and this is to the families, I am really, really sorry I didn't take action at that time or report the matter sooner.
Really?...You could have saved their lives? Exactly how would you have done that? Perhaps under your foulies their is a super hero suit and you could have rescued them all. If what you saw was MH370 and it was in serious trouble, there is nothing you could have done. As stated from hundreds of other posts, you did the right thing. To dwell on a few negative comments will only drive you into self pity. Where is that going to get you?
This incident has consumed you and it's easy to see why. I'm sure Eric on Rebel heart went through similar feeling you did. With media hype today, how could one, not be consumed by it.
You've done what you could...move on. The media has all their information, why feed them any longer? You've worked hard to get away and go cruising...so do that. Remember those beautiful night watches when the wind is light and you're ghosting along flat seas and the stars appear more of a blanket reflected on the water. Get free.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 23:57   #362
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Well said.

Coops.
Old 09-06-2014, 00:13   #363
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Does anybody know how I can go about confirming that this approach, initially via my blog, is indeed a genuine approach from Malaysian police? The non government email address has raised my suspicions.

Quote:
Dear Kate, first and foremost, on behalf of the Royal Malaysia Police, we would like to say thank you for your prompt reply, we really appreciate it.

I am ASP Yeoh Chun Shyan, part of the investigation team of MH370, based in KLIA, Malaysia. This is my contact number +601.......1.

I have read through most of your answers/comments for questions posted in the forum. It's good and it helps to provide some leads.

As for now, we would like to know, which authorities (Especially Malaysia, ie: DCA, MAS others) that you have contacted so far? If yes, have you handover any of your relevant GPS logs/documents to them?

Thank you once again.

To: sh......@yahoo.com <sh......@yahoo.com>;
Subject: MH370 investigation.
Sent: Mon, Jun 9, 2014 4:53:18 AM

Dear sir,

I am currently in [..........] I am glad to do anything I can to help.

Regards,
Kate

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
9.6.14: edited to remove email addresses and phone number that was rude of me to publish them, and I apologise to the police officer concerned if this is a genuine contact.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 00:25   #364

Apparently some aircraft, notably rescue and special military aircraft, get painted with "dayglo", an orange fluorescent paint that under some circumstances can glow in the dark [1].

So, perhaps this really was an orange plane, glowing in the dark. It does fit the description, doesn't it?

Henrik

[1] DAY-GLOW: Pictures of Military Airplanes With Bright Orange Safety Markings - "Cloud9Photography.US -- Peter J. Mancus" Original High Res Historical and Modern Military and Civilian Airplane Pictures For Sale; A Wide Variety of Original High Res Flyi
rydberg is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 01:01   #365

Quote:
Does anybody know how I can go about confirming that this approach, initially via my blog, is indeed a genuine approach from Malaysian police? The non government email address has raised my suspicions.
I would have deleted the email directly. Yes, the yahoo email is a huge tell, and a government official would not ask you about something they could find out themselves (i.e., who you had sent reports to).

It is terrible what people do when they think they can get away with it...

Henrik
rydberg is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 01:03   #366

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
I cannot quickly verify the phone number but I can show:

1. there is a police officer that name in the PDRM (Polis DiRaja Malaysia, the Royal Malaysian Police), see

Archives | The Star Online.

2. there is a Facebook profile for a Yeoh Chun Shyan who has lived in both Sarawak and KL. See https://ms-my.facebook.com/search.php?q=Yeoh+Chun+Shyan and https://www.facebook.com/public/Yeoh-Chun-Shyan

3. The phone number is a Malaysian mobile phone

4. I've not yet drilled deep enough on the PDRM website to find a contact for Yeoh Chun Shyan. But you should be able to contact the genuine Yeoh Chun Shyan by any of the e-mail addresses shown for Bukit Aman (sort of the equivalent of Scotland Yard - it's the PDRM HQ) at: Portal Rasmi Polis Diraja Malaysia

Or, if you use Facebook, the PDRM's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PolisDirajaMalaysia

Cheers

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 01:11   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydberg View Post
I would have deleted the email directly. Yes, the yahoo email is a huge tell, and a government official would not ask you about something they could find out themselves (i.e., who you had sent reports to).

It is terrible what people do when they think they can get away with it...

Henrik
Not necessarily, Henrik. In several economies in Southeast Asia, government officers including police officers use gmail, yahoo etc because their official government e-mail systems are not well resourced or administered. Not all economies have good governance.

The PDRM has tried hard to sort through rumour etc on MH370. I've cruised and lived in Malaysia on and off for the past 14 and do not think the use of a yahoo address is that unusual in this case.

But that doesn't mean that I'd advise Saucy to answer the yahoo e-mail without spending a little time to check bona fides.

Al
Old 09-06-2014, 01:18   #368

Kate, if the police wish to approach you they should do so in person, not by email. I don't personally believe the Malaysian authorities have much to add to the effort and so far their conduct has been bordering on unprofessional. I think it's unlikely that this email is real anyway.

As Celestial said, there's nothing you could have done at the time to help them. The aircraft crashed many hours later, several thousand miles away from you in all probability. There's nothing ANYONE could have done, even if they knew exactly what was happening on the plane.

A further five hours of flight time virtually rules out a serious fire on board. Unless the investigators come up with something we may never know what it was you saw, but the chances of it being MH370 are slim.

The possibilities include an aircraft passing through a thin cloud layer diffusing the lights and giving it a strange 'glow', as well as exaggerating the contrail. As I have said before, an aircraft involved in the search effort is another possibility. An explanation which occurred to me yesterday was satellite/space debris re-entry. I attach a few pictures for your opinion.

europaflyer is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 02:13   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Kate, if the police wish to approach you they should do so in person, not by email. I don't personally believe the Malaysian authorities have much to add to the effort and so far their conduct has been bordering on unprofessional. I think it's unlikely that this email is real anyway.
Let me try a different tack:

1. The PDRM (the Malaysian civil police, the Royal Malaysian Police) have an obligation to the Malaysian state and citizenry to investigate all leads on this case. That includes chasing down every rumour and claim.

2. The PDRM are under-resourced. They have a big job. Several are killed each year in service (e.g. cross border raids from Philippines). Not all of them are fluent in English. Very few of them are Chinese. The PDRM would delegate the task of contacting Saucy to someone such as Yeoh who can contact her.

3. Malaysia is a pleasant destination for cruisers. In contrast to Thailand and Indonesia, for example, a foreign cruiser can keep their hull in Malaysian waters without lodging bonds, paying bribes, etc. But there is a social contract - play along with the authorities (and keep your visa and that of your crew clean).

4. Sure, the western press (and the Malaysian press) has shown Malaysia's efforts in this MH370 matter to be a joke perpetrated by clowns. But who has shown a sterling effort in this matter? I don't see any heroes or amazing competence by anyone. Malaysia is a Third World Economy doing quite well, but it's police and civil service are dealing with all the contradictions of their political economic circumstance. Give them a break.

I'm inclined to contact Yeoh. But perhaps through the office telephone/e-mail/Facebook for the first contact. But then, I ask for ID from Australian police too.

Al
Old 09-06-2014, 02:26   #370

A yahoo.com email address for a policeman doesn't seem very believable. Kate has made reports to the relevant authorities and doesn't need to complicate things by dealing with anyone else for the moment, even if they are real.
europaflyer is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 03:36   #371

The plumes combined with natural light can produce some spectacular effects

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...82_470x698.jpg

--------------------------------------------------
Yust a small "Hello!" from Adriatic sea...
Aleksandrina
Aleksandrina is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 06:13   #372

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Saucy, you may be helping find the plane. No one could help the victims of this tragedy. The truth of what happened will only be known when the airframe is located and raised from the sea. All we can say is that fact is often stranger than fiction. We can only hope that the airframe is found.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2014, 06:19   #373
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The policeman concerned has responded with a valid govt email address. That's a relief anyway
Old 09-06-2014, 06:23   #374
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandrina View Post
The plumes combined with natural light can produce some spectacular effects

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...82_470x698.jpg

--------------------------------------------------
Yust a small "Hello!" from Adriatic sea...
Aleksandrina
Getting closer, but I couldn't see a light source and it wasn't that bright.

I'd say that Adam's is so far the closest.

The idea of Jules Verne in a hot air balloon did hit home. Although this was not a hot air balloon...
Old 09-06-2014, 06:59   #375

Boat: Concept 40 with 3' dive platform extension. Rebuild of boat and life in progress!

Based on what I have found out so far I am glad as hell Kate DID NOT report this when we hit land, and, even more grateful firstly she did not wake the crew, who is an aeronautical engineer that was involved in accident investigation, if it indeed was MH370 that she saw, and secondly DID NOT PUT OUT A MAYDAY USING THE SAT PHONE.
I am putting something together, but it unfortunately probably cannot go here because it may well turn out to be somewhat of a political stir.
What I will definitely do is to post a revised crew briefings and how we will handle "any unusual sightings at sea" in future based on the above!