Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 23:10   #211

Re: I Think I Saw MH370

I have read the various posts with interest but I see no clear result. Given the plane is yet to be found, and this information may now be relevant, was contact made with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority or similar agency so the claim could be verified?
I think my first reaction to seeing a plane on fire, if I didn't have a camera handy, would be to note the log with date/time/ your GPS position and bearing from your position to the plane.
Like other posters, I would definitely have made contact straight away, by radio,to the nearest marine authority or volunteer marine rescue, and to the search authorities when I got to port providing all the detail.
Easy to say in hindsight.
Cheers
Mike
zzmmcga is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 23:13   #212

My name is Stew Stoddart. Like many, I have been working on the MH370 issue for some time using different tools, including Tomnod imagery and an X-plane Boeing 777-200ER simulator. A friend pointed me your way and I think collectively are onto something other than what authorities are looking at now. I use Google Earth extensively and would like to ingest your sailboat GPS log directly into Google Earth. What I need to do this in an easy manner is the actual log file, and the make and model of your GPS receiver. I would greatly appreciate it if you could send it directly to me. I will post what I find out. Thanks in advance. Regards, Stew Stoddart, Flight Test Engineer.
stewball5 is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 00:15   #213
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

She has repeatedly stated on this thread, if you have read it, that all questions will only be asked and answered on this forum. Nothing will be sent to you direct. If she answers your post it will be on here.

Coops.
Old 05-06-2014, 00:20   #214

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmmcga View Post
I have read the various posts with interest but I see no clear result. Given the plane is yet to be found, and this information may now be relevant, was contact made with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority or similar agency so the claim could be verified?
I think my first reaction to seeing a plane on fire, if I didn't have a camera handy, would be to note the log with date/time/ your GPS position and bearing from your position to the plane.
Like other posters, I would definitely have made contact straight away, by radio,to the nearest marine authority or volunteer marine rescue, and to the search authorities when I got to port providing all the detail.
Easy to say in hindsight.
Cheers
Mike
Clearly, you haven't bothered to read all the posts!

Doh! I was avoiding posting.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 04:10   #215

I doubt it adds anything but here is the playback from MH370 in case you want to have a look at what else was around at the time (it's speeded up x12 so you can keep watching for a while after it disappears).

Bear in mind that radar coverage over ocean is limited and can be patchy so a lot of stuff disappears over the area you were at the time. However this might give you an idea of the more regular flight corridors.

MAS370 is the plane in the centre at the start, just North of KL airport - click on her to track.

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!
Flight is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 04:47   #216

From: Missing flight MH370: Search for Malaysia Airlines plane to focus on '7th arc' in Indian Ocean - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Quote:
Missing flight MH370: Search for Malaysia Airlines plane to focus on '7th arc' in Indian Ocean

Updated 12 minutes ago
Gclark8 is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 07:35   #217
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dear https://www.facebook.com/nicola.clark.184

No I will not be your Facebook friend, I don't even know you. Please see post #193 for my reasons.

And thank you, Tim Newton for a fair TV report:
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 08:24   #218
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today I sent a further report to ATSB. Please note these are simply further observations of unusual sightings we made during the passage, and were made before the night in question. We cannot be sure of dates or times, since we do not maintain a ship's log other than our GPS log.

Quote:
Hi again,

To follow up on what I saw when we were on the passage. I have already mentioned the bright white light that we thought was unusual but put down to work vessels since it was over a pipeline, and about the bright orange light that I saw at a later date.

It occurred to me that we had another unusual sighting. We spotted what we thought might be a DAN Buoy. We detoured to take a look, so it should be on our track, in case there was a person or body near it. It was what looked to be a research buoy. In my recollection it was simply a pole with a solar battery at the tip. I think it was about a metre high. It had no surface instruments. We determined it was nothing to worry about and moved on.

In Marc's recollection it looked like a DAN buoy, but as we got closer there was no flag. No more than a metre diameter, red, conical shaped, no more than half a metre high. Solar panels around a central area and what appeared to be a whip aerial. He has identified the date as 7th March. The time could have 1315 (local) (track index 8961) or 1615 (local) (track index 8996). I believe we first spotted it when it was at about 2 oçlock from the boat, which could make it the 1615 detour, but Marc believes we sailed backwards to check it, which would therefore make it the 1315 detour.

Not sure if this is of any use... But it's not for me to judge!

All the best,
Kate
Old 05-06-2014, 08:31   #219

Boat: Concept 40 with 3' dive platform extension. Rebuild of boat and life in progress!
Re: I Think I Saw MH370 : Locations of unusual buoy

The big picture location of buoy
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buoy large scale location.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	82548
And detail
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buoy detail location.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	82547
Old 05-06-2014, 08:34   #220
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Did you ever take a look at those videos that were posted here to determine if they resembled what you saw? I don't see any response.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 08:46   #221
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Did you ever take a look at those videos that were posted here to determine if they resembled what you saw? I don't see any response.
Sorry, Salty, I have been looking at so much that I'm really not sure. Could you take the time to repost the links to the videos you are talking about to make it easy for me?
Old 05-06-2014, 09:00   #222
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Sorry, Salty, I have been looking at so much that I'm really not sure. Could you take the time to repost the links to the videos you are talking about to make it easy for me?
Here they are Saucy. I'm sure if you search on YouTube you'll find more. Also might look for "planes at night"

One from me and one from EuropaFlyer

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1554967

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1555025
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 09:03   #223
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Here they are Saucy. I'm sure if you search on YouTube you'll find more. Also might look for "planes at night"

One from me and one from EuropaFlyer

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1554967

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1555025
No to both. It simply looked like a plane that was glowing orange with a trail of black smoke behind it!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:46   #224

Boat: Hunter Channel 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_g View Post
...You were, at least very close.
To clarify:

I mean that you could have been very close to the track of MH370 and it could possibly have been what you saw. The satellite data in the ATSB document, however shows that MH370 flew on until at least 00:19 GMT (06:19 GMT+6), was at least 350nm from you for the last hour and a half of that, and at the very least 800nm away from you when the last satellite signal was transmitted.

(The distances above are measured from your position to the closest point of the 'BTO' rings at 22:41 GMT and 00:19 GMT. MH370 was likely even further away than that at some other point around the rings. I don't believe the position of the range rings is subject to controversy, even if the positon around the rings depends on assumptions and interpretation of other data.)

So even if you *did* see MH370 (which is not impossible IMHO), its flight did not end anywhere near you, so don't beat yourselves up about this.
mister_g is offline   Reply
Old 05-06-2014, 09:55   #225

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

As expected there are sure a LOT of first time posters on this thread. Some are, without doubt, media/reporters while others are are truly interested in solving the "mystery of MH370". But since Saucy and Marc have requested to only answer questions or provide answers on this thread instead of in front of the cameras its only fair to respond to ALL posters isn't it? Unless the poster did not read the entire thread and Saucy/Marc already answered the question.

Stand firm Saucy and Marc!