Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 15:28   #121

Re: I Think I Saw MH370

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
Possibly the other two aircraft were fighters. There are bases* in the area including the Andamans.
not to forget the high-tech US*Navy*base island a bit further, direction Africa.. check their FB timeline 25 May ~ posts for the 26 May departures and no, I'm not into DG c/theories & no, I don't want to make stupid jokes.. it's just that the US of A have been so MH370-silent (??)

as you said, they might had been fighter jets & yes it's odd to say the least
annalenacrying is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2014, 15:51   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post

It started around the point of Sri Lanka, when we moved from lovely calm waters with crystal clear skies into those mountainous seas I was talking about. For days they were over 10ft, with choppy confused seas at the top. We were being pushed way south, as far as 04'. The other take would have taken us back to Colombo, since they were too steep to get a decent angle into. We argued about that. I won, but only after a massive argument which created a massive resentment in me that the captain wouldn't do as he was told straight away. Water was flooding into the cabin through the anchor locker which wasn't watertight, we were being swamped through the companionway which has a stupid design that traps water which then pours down my neck when I'm trying to cook. The mast seat was almost totally ineffective. All our warm clothes were wet. We had only one dry berth.

The baby stay broke. The side decks were flexing on account of being rotten. Doors on lockers inside were breaking when crew tried using them as handholds. All the flour landed on the floor, amongst other foodstuff, and not in their containers. The water maker stopped working. Only I was cooking, since conditions meant it was unsafe for the crew to do so. The ancient genoa sheets snapped, and were tied together in random places. The pressure of the bow digging into the waves damage the bow roller, which had the anchor still on it at that stage. The captain refused to wear a life jacket or harness at any time, even when he was fixing stuff on the foredeck. I was petrified for him. There's more, but you get the idea.
Saucy:

Ssssh don't want to scare too many new cruisers that not all passages are "fun". Glad you worked things out with hubby and did not try and throw each other over board. Sounds like it was close. We already have enough threads here on CF speculating on what happened on various boats that did not make it to there planned destinations. Glad you made it to yours. A couple of rum drinks and some nice sunsets will remind you why it's all worth it.
Old 02-06-2014, 21:51   #123

Duncan has now closed his blog: MH370: This is simply a new (empty) post to allow for a new thread of comments | Duncan Steel
Quote:
Duncan
2014/06/02 at 15:59
Good idea Henrik.
In fact I had been intending to close this blog down due to the number of rude and personally abusive messages and comments I have received.
Duncan
Gclark8 is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 00:28   #124

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

"Ssssh don't want to scare too many new cruisers that not all passages are "fun""

Well, mbianka, I think we have a duty to warn that not all passages may be fun. I, personally have been seasick for 19 days on a 24 day passage. It was not fun. It was ------ miserable. Stuff breaks. (Jim went aloft to repair a broken baby stay in 45 k. It was horrible for him, he hates heights anyhow, and he was extensively bruised.)

If the boat's unsound (decks flexing); that can be profoundly scary. Sails ripping and jib sheets in tatters and requiring random tying up. .....no wonder SS was upset. Plus she was stuck on the boat with cooking reposnsibilites.

We all, who have experience, have had some bad ones, "The Trip From Hell". Perhaps should have a new thread.

SS, many of us who go to sea with our men lack understanding of the risks. I don't see this as the fault of the men, but of our own romanticism. It doesn't work to our benefit. You've had a really rough learning experience; I hope you have some smooth sailing to reward you for hanging in there.

FWIW, you did right to report your sighting of the mystery object, IMO. Sorry it's stirred up such a hash.

Ann
Old 03-06-2014, 02:25   #125

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Just on the news,

Sailor Katherine Tee reports seeing Malaysia Airlines MH370 on fire near Thailand | News.com.au
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 03:12   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by annalenacrying View Post
thanks

btw I think that Phuket Gazette's reporting is much better
‘I thought I saw MH370 on fire,’ says Phuket yachtie
Your link doesn't seem to work.
Also, on something entirely different I PM you. Ted
Old 03-06-2014, 03:18   #127

Apologies for barging in - just a couple of quick questions for SS, if she is still present:

When you referred to 'orange lights', did you mean the lights inside the aircraft cabin or the external landing lights (like headlights under the plane)?

As best you could tell, did the aircraft appear to be maintaining level flight (ie not climbing or descending)?

As best you could tell was the aircraft flying straight?

Was there a single trail of smoke from the aircraft? If so, was it coming from the fuselage?

Was the outline of the aircraft clear or fuzzy?

I understand SS may not be able to answer all of these questions but, if this was MH370 any answers would go some way to establishing the condition of the aircraft at the time.

Also, just to note that various different estimates of MH370's route have been given to the Western & Chinese media and relatives over time, such that I would not be confident in discounting SS's sighting on the basis of any timings which have appeared in the press.
shadwell_NTT is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 03:19   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
Your link doesn't seem to work.
Also, on something entirely different I PM you. Ted
oops, once again:

thanks

?I thought I saw MH370 on fire,? says Phuket yachtie
Old 03-06-2014, 03:36   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
"Ssssh don't want to scare too many new cruisers that not all passages are "fun""

Well, mbianka, I think we have a duty to warn that not all passages may be fun. I, personally have been seasick for 19 days on a 24 day passage. It was not fun. It was ------ miserable. Stuff breaks. (Jim went aloft to repair a broken baby stay in 45 k. It was horrible for him, he hates heights anyhow, and he was extensively bruised.)

If the boat's unsound (decks flexing); that can be profoundly scary. Sails ripping and jib sheets in tatters and requiring random tying up. .....no wonder SS was upset. Plus she was stuck on the boat with cooking reposnsibilites.

We all, who have experience, have had some bad ones, "The Trip From Hell". Perhaps should have a new thread.

SS, many of us who go to sea with our men lack understanding of the risks. I don't see this as the fault of the men, but of our own romanticism. It doesn't work to our benefit. You've had a really rough learning experience; I hope you have some smooth sailing to reward you for hanging in there.

FWIW, you did right to report your sighting of the mystery object, IMO. Sorry it's stirred up such a hash.

Ann
Ann I was saying that with a little tough in cheek. You are quite right that some woman fellow the man's dream unquestionably until things get dicey. I've seen it a number of times myself. I met one whose husband was going to buy a bought a boat to sail off in. He asked her if she wanted to look at it. No, she trusted his judgement it would be fine. Plus she had never been sailing before. What could possibly go wrong there?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:37   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by annalenacrying View Post
oops, once again:

thanks

?I thought I saw MH370 on fire,? says Phuket yachtie
Thanks, your right, that was a better one. Did you get my PM? About your Friends traveling down from Canada?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:48   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
Did you get my PM? About your Friends traveling down from Canada?
yep just saw your reply, thanks cheerio
Old 03-06-2014, 04:09   #132

Any chance of remembering the colour of the night sky ?

Was the colour of the fire and smoke like a tyre fire ?

Cheers

Dave
DaveLister is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 04:32   #134

Sailor thinks she spotted MH370 on fire above the Indian Ocean | Mail Online

A map was created by Cruisers Forum member 'europaflyer' by using Google Earth to show the yacht's position compared with the projected flightpath for MH370.
The map unveiled that the plane would have passed the yacht astern from port to starboard, which is just as Ms Tee had recalled.

Thanks Daily Mail. This definitely comes straight in at number one on my personal list of top ten time offset screw ups. Errr... oops. Although in fairness to me the google earth workings I did came with a bit of a disclaimer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
OK, here is my first wild guess of the track based on known positions of airway intersections. I don't have time to do anything better at the moment. Don't read too much in to it yet.
Should have written that in big yellow letters on the map itself but you lives and you learns. Not enough to stop the Mail.

For anyone just reading this, the maps I did on the third page are wrong.

europaflyer is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 04:36   #135

QUOTE=europaflyer;1555494]And they keep going...[/QUOTE]

wow does Kate know???
Closed Thread