Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 14:38   #316

Boat: corsair tri and custom cat
Re: I Think I Saw MH370

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Well Said! Especially the "paternal grandpas" part!

Thanks,
I would also like to say that if what Saucy saw was just Jules Verne in a hot air balloon then the session with a hypnotheropist would reveal that and still be a success.
I too like what europaflyer has done here with the facts available.
I only want facts too. Problem with this tragedy from the beginning is getting good ones.

Old 07-06-2014, 14:51   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP Waves View Post
I think we start best and worst reporting thread!
The worst so far I have seen......

Amazing some of the bull added in - I have had less than 6 beers in the last 6 months and Kate drinks even less than I do! As for dope - not a chance!
Show of hands here. How many trust the info from a half drunk sailor more than a sober news journalist?

Only thing suspect.... 6 beers in six months?
Good thing they were not asking me that question.
As for dope, I prefer the term "attitude adjustment".

Old 07-06-2014, 14:55   #318

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy wanderer View Post

Thanks,
I would also like to say that if what Saucy saw was just Jules Verne in a hot air balloon then the session with a hypnotheropist would reveal that and still be a success.
I too like what europaflyer has done here with the facts available.
I only want facts too. Problem with this targedy from the beginning is getting good ones.
Saucy, please do some research on false memories before following this very bad advice. Memory is a very difficult thing. It is easy to "remember" Things that didn't happen if your not careful.

There is a very good reason that hypnotic regression isn't used by the police. It doesn't work. It is as likely to create a memory as it is to enhance one.

Here is an excellent starting point in understanding the phenomenon:

http://www.uncommon-knowledge.co.uk/...-hypnosis.html
Old 07-06-2014, 15:07   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Saucy, please do some research on false memories before following this very bad advice. Memory is a very difficult thing. It is easy to "remember" Things that didn't happen if your not careful.

There is a very good reason that hypnotic regression isn't used by the police. It doesn't work. It is as likely to create a memory as it is to enhance one.

The truth about hypnosis and memory - Uncommon Knowledge
I'm afraid this is right. I would take it further - given that Saucy has now had so much time to dwell on what she saw it is virtually certain that the original memory has now been changed, through no fault of her own. The only reliable account is what she wrote at the time, and any later accounts are just too likely to incorporate the suggestions of others or her own conjecture. Given enough time, people can develop incredibly vivid memories of things which never actually happened in the form they remember.
Old 07-06-2014, 15:10   #320
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Why do people keep telling her to "run away and hide"? Because we care for her, that is why. To her friends, her health and welfare are far more important than the endless quest for information from mostly amateur inquisitors, no matter how well meaning or not they are.

Coops.
Old 07-06-2014, 15:40   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Why do people keep telling her to "run away and hide"? Because we care for her, that is why. To her friends, her health and welfare are far more important than the endless quest for information from mostly amateur inquisitors, no matter how well meaning or not they are.

Coops.
+1 exactly
Old 07-06-2014, 15:41   #322

Quote:

Coops.
You're a good person Coops
Old 07-06-2014, 16:02   #323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:

Coops.
+2 from grand papa
Old 07-06-2014, 16:08   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
I'm afraid this is right. I would take it further - given that Saucy has now had so much time to dwell on what she saw it is virtually certain that the original memory has now been changed, through no fault of her own. The only reliable account is what she wrote at the time, and any later accounts are just too likely to incorporate the suggestions of others or her own conjecture. Given enough time, people can develop incredibly vivid memories of things which never actually happened in the form they remember.
I totally agree. I didn't say that she is probably already inadvertently creating detail that is incorrect because it sounds like there's something wrong with her. Like she's weak minded or something. This is absolutely not the case.

We all think that our memory is far more reliable than it really is. If you study eye witness accounts (which many psychologists have), it is amazing just how unreliable and mold-able our memories are, even hours after the fact, never mind weeks. This is just a simple human trait and is why the justice system likes hard evidence and records written directly after the event.

Saucy, at this point it is what it is. Trying harder isn't going to make you remember better. Your brain is human and therefore limited.
Old 07-06-2014, 16:11   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post

The truth about hypnosis and memory - Uncommon Knowledge

Yes Saucy do some research
start here. Everyone needs to calm down take a deep breath and read.
I read your link cwyckham now you read mine. Fare is fare
Hypnotism is being used by the police. It is being challenged by lawyers
as legal evidence. Cases are being solved using hypnosis and that is what we are after here.

Scientism,-Ethics,-and-Power-Games.html
Old 07-06-2014, 16:12   #326
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I have to laugh when my daughter and I start recounting shared experiences. We have spectacularly different memories of many situations.
Old 07-06-2014, 16:21   #327

Quote:

Coops.
I care very much about Saucy too. I do not know her personally but I do feel she wants very much to resolve what she has seen, both for her self and for the families who lost loved ones. Ulitimately it will be her choice
and not anyone here as to her course of action. I mearly am making a suggestion as every one here is. We just all differ in our own personal view of what "we" think what is best for her.
Old 07-06-2014, 16:23   #328
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy wanderer View Post
Yes Saucy do some research
start here. Everyone needs to calm down take a deep breath and read.
I read your link cwyckham now you read mine. Fare is fare
Hypnotism is being used by the police. It is being challenged by lawers
as legal evidence. Cases are being solved using hypnosis and that is what we are after here.

Scientism,-Ethics,-and-Power-Games.html
Fair is fair, but if you are so adamant that she should do this then fair should be fare. You organise it and you pay for it.

She has done what she thought was the right thing. That is what we ask of folks. No wonder that they just turn their backs on things and say that it is nothing to do with me when they have to go through all this rubbish.

Coops.
Old 07-06-2014, 16:34   #329

Without being disrespectful to anyone I honestly don't think there is a cat in hell's chance that hypnosis would bring out more useful information, especially with detail like positions of stars. I think Saucy has given all she has to give, and all that is left to do is to see whether the authorities make anything of it. If it were me I would have found having my name and picture plastered all over the media across the world very stressful, and Saucy probably just needs some Saucy time right now.
Old 07-06-2014, 16:40   #330

Quote:
Fair is fair, but if you are so adamant that she should do this then fair should be fare. You organise it and you pay for it.

She has done what she thought was the right thing. That is what we ask of folks. No wonder that they just turn their backs on things and say that it is nothing to do with me when they have to go through all this rubbish.

Coops.
If she asked me to then I would do my best.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: