Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 07:15   #151

Re: I Think I Saw MH370

Thanks for your answers Saucy - obviously your sighting points towards a fire on board the plane, the questions I asked were aimed at getting an idea of its severity and location on the basis that the 'orangeness' of the light was an indication of it being seen through dark smoke. From the fuzzy outline and apparent glow you describe, it sounds like smoke was being emitted from close to the front of the plane, passing over the fuselage before forming a trail behind.

As to myself, I am just one of many curious loafers following the #MH370 hashtag on twitter as @shadwell_NTT. Thanks again for your answers and hope all goes well.
shadwell_NTT is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 07:15   #152

Saucy, you and your husband did the right think reporting what you saw. You made the right decision, so do not second guess yourself about reporting what you saw. It is up to the investigation to determine if what you saw is relevant to the MH370 flight or not.

I am happy to see how the discussion remained mature and professional on CF. I am not surprised that it took so little time for the press to find the discussion.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36   #153

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Instead of doubting Saucy's report because it doesn't fit the Inmarsat data it seems to me you might want to doubt the Inmarsat data because it doesn't fit what Saucy actually saw. Hindsight is always 20/20 but it sure would have been valuable to record exact Lat/Long, time, heading of the vessel and path of the plane right when it happened.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:41   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNewsnight View Post
As a journalist (at the BBC) I found this thread most informative and interesting. Certainly worth closer examination even if it turns out not to stack up.
if only there were more journalists of your kind

when I read the articles (post #133) it strikes me how facts get twisted.. they put their words into Kate's (eye-witness) mouth.. e.g. they're opening an article with ''she said she saw MH370 burning in the sky'' <-- as if she 100% knew it was MH370.. ?? no! she never said that.. if those reporters were true investigative journalists, they would not feel the need to rush & publish asap/breaking news!.. instead they'd better research the subject, e.g. (best) here

investigative journalism is becoming an endangered species

some articles question whether JACC has done anything with the reporting.. but hey, it's described earlier at this forum.. I know cause I used Kate's quote at one UK newspaper forum.. ''as Kate wrote at cruisersforum, it's being investigated":
''I logged my believed sighting with the JACC via email, as suggested early in the thread, and this morning received a response saying the email has been forwarded to the relevant area for action. I then received a more personal email from ATSB reassuring me that the tracking data has been forwarded to the Search Strategy Group, and to rest assured the investigators are reviewing it''
I wrote to ATSB & JACC myself, after discovering Kate's story. I wanted to make sure they'd receive it Both TSB & JACC replied, here ATSB:

Thank you for your email. The ATSB has received a message (via the JACC) from a member of the public who used the exact language from the post, and provided an identical screenshot, so I expect it was the same person who posted on CruisersForum. We have sent them an email acknowledging receipt. Thank you for taking the time to make sure that we were aware of it. (name) Communications Officer, Australian Transport Safety Bureau
annalenacrying is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 07:44   #155

Found my way here from the The Indie, interesting stuff.

Someone a few pages back linked this blog: Where is MH370?

They've got a post about a radar contact off Pulau Perek: Where is MH370?: Pulau Perak sighting at 2:40am

Several other planes were nearby. How does this fit with the time of your sighting?
landblubber is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 08:24   #156

Just to stir things up:

Recorded noise might offer clues to missing plane

Seems that Inmarsat's data is challenged again. If that sound was really MH370, the location is inconsistent with Inmarsat's findings. I Wonder how it affects the sighting deacribed?

Regards
Tony
tchavei is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 08:31   #157
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
A noter que Katherine Tee travaille pour Cruisers Forum en tant que directrice marketing et aussi modératrice, tout en étant sur l'eau. Cela peut être un élément à prendre en compte...Elle fait part de sa culpabilité de ne pas avoir "percuté" plus tot.
. WWW.CRASH-AERIEN.AERO • Malaysia MH370: En attendant de retrouver l'avion (Partie 2)

I do work for CF as a sales girl with a fancy title. I updated my public profile soon after starting this thread to reflect that. I did so in the interests of complete and open honesty. I receive a percentage of the advertising I sell.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 08:55   #158

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
This is pretty interesting stuff.

The next question in the puzzle...

How long can a burning plane fly or glide?
If Swissair 111 is a guide, about 20 minutes.

Swissair Flight 111 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-06-2014, 09:39   #159
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNewsnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress
Adam, I am willing only to answer questions in the thread or via email, and I will copy anything by email I say into the thread anyway.
No problem. We won't be publishing your answers (we're a TV interview show) - this is just for research at the moment. But you're welcome to do so.

Can I ask you about what you saw? Given that it was at night and there was a lot of glow from the ocean, how clear was your sight of the plane?
There wasn't much glow on the sea that night as far as I can recall. I am not sure what you mean by how clear? It's not like I could see wings and windows etc... It was an elongated orange glow with a trail of smoke behind it.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 10:49   #160

Hello SS, thanks for submitting this info for everyone to see. I am just someone who travels a lot and was interested in what happened with MH370. Every now and then I look up MH370 on Google news to see what the latest updates are on the search and I came across the article mentioning your posting.

What is very interesting is that somewhere probably not too far from where your boat was a New Zealand oil rig worker filed a report about a sighting of burning plane. I did not see this mentioned in any of the earlier posts (I Skipped the first few pages so excuse me if this was mentioned) so I registered just to confirm that what you saw may indeed have been the missing plane. Have a look at the following articles:

Missing MH370: Oil rig worker thinks he saw plane go down in flames - Nation | The Star Online

Oil rig worker says he saw Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 burst into flames | News.com.au

Oil Rig Worker Thinks He Saw Malaysia Air Flight 370 Go Down in Flames - The Wire

Your sighting corroborates with the sighting of the oil rig worker.
bigbug is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 11:19   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
There wasn't much glow on the sea that night as far as I can recall. I am not sure what you mean by how clear? It's not like I could see wings and windows etc... It was an elongated orange glow with a trail of smoke behind it.
Thanks for your response. You mentioned phosphorescence earlier, but I assume from your answer there wasn't much at that moment. Was the sky bright? Cloudy or starry? Moon or no moon? How did the smoke make itself visible in the night time?

Was there an aeroplane sound accompanying the movement of the glow? Did the orange glow look like it was enveloping an object? Could you see anything suggesting the orange glow was part of a larger object? Did the glow have any flame like qualities in its movement or texture?

Best

Adam
AdamNewsnight is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 11:54   #162

Boat: Niagara 35

Hi Saucy,

You're holding up to all of this remarkably well. I had another time question. I've tried to go through and I can't find a very clear idea of what time of night it was in relation to sunset. You do say that you were watching stars, so I've assumed that it was late at night.

However, if it was shortly after sunset, then I can offer another possible explanation for you to consider. Others have also briefly mentioned this.

If the sun was over the horizon but still lighting up the aircraft, then the aircraft could glow orange, even if it is being backlit somewhat (I think the aircraft was west of you?)

I've seen what looked like black contrails in this situation. It was actually the shadow of true contrail on hazy high cirrus clouds. Hazy conditions like that also make for really vivid red suns as they set, which may have made for a very vivid reflection off of an aircraft.

I'm not second guessing, you're doing enough of that on your own. I'm just offering an explanation that you can consider and discard if it doesn't fit the facts (time of night, primarily).
cwyckham is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 11:56   #163

Boat: Westerly Centaur

I read the article in the Mail. Sheesh, I remember many years ago when that paper used to have news and a half decent crossword. Now it reads like one of those conspiracy nutter sites. The comments on the article were mind numbing, but shows the new readership of cretins.
Saucy has put forward a clear, as best she can recollection of what she saw and what she remembered in the hope it might be of some use. No other information from anywhere else seems to have done much good so good for her. She doesn't need that garbage I've been reading for trying to do the right thing.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 11:57   #164

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Just as an aside, I prefer to be called Saucy. SS makes me feel like the gestapo - and no moderator jokes, thanks!

Hi, Saucy
I think the SS for You is really good one. On CruisersForum SS stands usually for stainless steel, and You must be made of this to deal with the comments of self righteous idiots on the press sites.
As You are calm enough not to mention them here at all, I think we can rename You SDS now (for super duplex steel)

Cheers, You are great ! ! !

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 12:02   #165

A tyre fire might have been the most plausible.

With the bits falling off as it burned and at altitude may not have had the same intensity as a ground level fire but this is conjecture.

As for the desire not to have any incorrect media exposure, I do have concerns that you may be found and news crews are told get the story. Good luck with that. Staying in the forum gives at least some shelter from some of the efforts to fill a 24 hour news cycle with anything.

As for the sleep depravation and feeling not with it, have done night classes in the week and worked a bar on the weekend some time back, as well as much later in life, doing a decade of shiftwork, with you on that.

Thanks for your responses and Best wishes for the future, Cheers Dave
DaveLister is offline   Reply
Closed Thread