Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 05:44   #136
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: I Think I Saw MH370

Again, I will post my responses in red. Shadwell NTT, out of interest, can you tell us a little about yourself? Not that it matters, these are pertinent questions, and I'll do my best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell_NTT View Post
Apologies for barging in - just a couple of quick questions for SS, if she is still present:

When you referred to 'orange lights', did you mean the lights inside the aircraft cabin or the external landing lights (like headlights under the plane)?
I mean it looked like the plane was glowing orange. The light reminded me of the glow from the orange sodium lights our marina in Kuwait had. I looked for the source of the lights, but I couldn't one. Definitely not like landing lights.

As best you could tell, did the aircraft appear to be maintaining level flight (ie not climbing or descending)?
I believe that as it approached from Port it seemed to be maintaining height.

As best you could tell was the aircraft flying straight?
It seemed to be flying in a straight line.

Was there a single trail of smoke from the aircraft? If so, was it coming from the fuselage?
A single trail of black smoke. It seemed wider and denser than the regular white trails I see in the sky, but that I put down to it being lower, and therefore, perhaps, a depth perspective thing.

Was the outline of the aircraft clear or fuzzy?
Fuzzy compared to other aircraft I have seen, but not very.

I understand SS may not be able to answer all of these questions but, if this was MH370 any answers would go some way to establishing the condition of the aircraft at the time.

Also, just to note that various different estimates of MH370's route have been given to the Western & Chinese media and relatives over time, such that I would not be confident in discounting SS's sighting on the basis of any timings which have appeared in the press.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLister View Post
Any chance of remembering the colour of the night sky ?
It was patchy. When I first saw it, it was in front of some clouds, and it took a little while to see the trail. The planes I saw higher up were in clear sky.

Was the colour of the fire and smoke like a tyre fire ?
I don't know it was a fire. I just thought that. The plane was glowing orange. Yes, the smoke was black like a tyre fire, but I don't think it was as dense as tyre fires I've seen.

Cheers

Dave
Just as an aside, I prefer to be called Saucy. SS makes me feel like the gestapo - and no moderator jokes, thanks! On this note (and I am not supposed to discuss moderation issues), as far as I know there has been no moderation so far on this thread except the usual email address removals. Thank you everyone for keeping it so courteous, I appreciate it.

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 05:48   #137
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post

Thanks Daily Mail. This definitely comes straight in at number one on my personal list of top ten time offset screw ups. Errr... oops. Although in fairness to me the google earth workings I did came with a bit of a disclaimer:

Should have written that in big yellow letters on the map itself but you lives and you learns. Not enough to stop the Mail.

For anyone just reading this, the maps I did on the third page are wrong.

This is why the only place I will discuss this is here. At least, if what I have said is correctly cited, there will be links back here so that readers can check for themselves what we said and who said what.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:53   #138

Quote:

A map was created by Cruisers Forum member 'europaflyer' by using Google Earth to show the yacht's position compared with the projected flightpath for MH370.
The map unveiled that the plane would have passed the yacht astern from port to starboard, which is just as Ms Tee had recalled.

Thanks Daily Mail. This definitely comes straight in at number one on my personal list of top ten time offset screw ups. Errr... oops. Although in fairness to me the google earth workings I did came with a bit of a disclaimer:

Should have written that in big yellow letters on the map itself but you lives and you learns. Not enough to stop the Mail.

Just like the paper that had the hull of Cheeki Rafiki 1,000 miles away from the PLB location four days later. And the mainstream media wonders why they are losing readers and/or viewers. Sometimes you get the facts and better analysis on sites like CF. Faster too!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58   #139
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: I Think I Saw MH370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
From one of those non-literate colonists, I think the phrase is remembered from the series "Rumpole of the Bailey" Rumpole of the Bailey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . I first aired in 1975/8, and was carried on PBS over here a little later.

"Rumpole of the Bailey is a British television series created and written by the British writer and barrister John Mortimer. It stars Leo McKern as Horace Rumpole, an aging London barrister who defends any and all clients, and has been spun off into a series of short stories, novels, and radio programmes."

' He secretly calls his wife Hilda "She Who Must Be Obeyed", a reference to the fearsome queen in the adventure novel She by H. Rider Haggard.[1]"

The "character sketch" section of the Wiki Rumpole of the Bailey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia seems like it could describe certain characters around here (a 'Boatie' one being a close fit, n'est pas?).
Had forgotten the H. R. Haggard one as I read it while but a youth.. and when Rumpole was big I was too busy working a 12hr/day 6 day week helping convert the UK to Natural Gas..
So the later Minder Series was fresher in my mind..

PS.. I'm taller than Rumpole and smile a lot more..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 06:01   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

SS, thank you for inspiring such a valuable and positive exchange of information. I hope it contributes in someway to alleviate the emotional suffering of the families. And BTW, I would pick you for crew anyday, --over some of the hairy-chested , beer-swilling sailors I have sailed with
Old 03-06-2014, 06:22   #141
Head in a locker

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Sailor thinks she spotted MH370 on fire above the Indian Ocean | Mail Online

A map was created by Cruisers Forum member 'europaflyer' by using Google Earth to show the yacht's position compared with the projected flightpath for MH370.

The map unveiled that the plane would have passed the yacht astern from port to starboard, which is just as Ms Tee had recalled.

Oh, Dailymail. The comments section under the article is a joy to read (unless you're suffering from anxiety).

The upside is, that a very good pic of SS - they normally find the most-flattering possible off social media!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:30   #142
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The 41-year-old had been at sea for 13 months sailing from Cochin, India to Phuket, Thailand with her husband Marc Horn, 50, and their pet dog - MailOnline
Just to clarify - obviously it didn't take 13 months to get from Cochin to Phuket. We had been cruising on our yacht for thirteen months. The passage from Cochin to Phuket lasted from Feb 20th until March 10th. We arrived at the immigration office as it was closing, so at their request we returned to check in on the 11th March.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:44   #143
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

The 41-year-old had been at sea for 13 months sailing from Cochin, India to Phuket, Thailand with her husband Marc Horn, 50, and their pet dog - MailOnline

funny name for a dog ..mailonline.......though after 13 months at sea it was probably lucky he didn't get eaten
Old 03-06-2014, 07:23   #144
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

funny name for a dog ..mailonline
Why? My name is SaltyMonkey.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:29   #145
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So three months later you decide to tell this story, wouldn't be making it up to earn some money would you? MailOnline Comments
I have not been offered any money for the story, nor would I ask. Nor am I seeking my 5 minutes.

I did email a friend at the Phuket Gazette, who I trust, with a link to this thread (after I had already been contacted by a journalist) and said I would be willing to speak to HIM. He reviewed the thread and said that everything he needed was on the thread (and complimented our members, BTW, for their research and contributions) so that wouldn't be necessary. He later sent a photographer to get a clearer photo than we could provide.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:34   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Saucy, I think you did the right thing by reporting what you saw. I would not put too much faith in the Inmarsat data. The Inmarsat positions are simply estimates based on timing and doppler effects. Some people seem to treat them like they are GPS positions. I seriously doubt they even approach the accuracy of a GPS position. I have seen no published information on the Circular Error Probability (CEP) of the published positions, but I seriously doubt it is zero. Europaflyer states that the MH370 position would have to be off by 100 miles for your report to be MH370. It is likely that the positions reported by the Inmarsat calculations are the center of a circle or perhaps an oval shaped area in which the airplane was likely to be located. It may well be that this could be off by 100 miles. I would not discount the possibility that the airplane could fly very far after a fire either in the fusalage or the engine. I met a 777 captain once that lost an engine half way across the atlantic going from the east coast (don't remember where he took off from) to London. His biggest concern was that he would not be down to maximum landing weight by the time he got to london, because he burned less fuel on one engine than he did on two. The other thing to remember is that airplane engines are designed to keep running and they have to be shut down, they don't simply turn off by themselves. Once they are started all they need to keep running is fuel. A fire that could incapacitate the crew and knock out major electrical systems might not actually affect the aircraft's ability to stay airborne if it didn't burn through any major structural members or compromise any fuel lines or fuel tanks.

Also if it took even as long as a minute to travel from your 7 oclock to your 5 oclock position it is not likely to have been a meteor. They just don't travel that slow.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36   #147

Boat: Concept 40 with 3' dive platform extension. Rebuild of boat and life in progress!

I believe if the press was actually doing its intended job of trying to establish the truth then they actually would have spent the time reading this thread and though it was likely what Kate saw is correct, they would have picked up on the doubt regarding timings! Then again they are in business to make money which unfortunately in our current society is based on headlines. as opposed to proper investigative journalism! Again what the hell are our supposed regulators doing???

Again great job. You evaluate the information and have the courage to change your opinion as new information becomes available!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:58   #148

As a journalist (at the BBC) I found this thread most informative and interesting. Certainly worth closer examination even if it turns out not to stack up.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:05   #149
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: I Think I Saw MH370

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNewsnight View Post
As a journalist (at the BBC) I found this thread most informative and interesting. Certainly worth closer examination even if it turns out not to stack up.
Saucy has that effect...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 08:08   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Saucy has that effect...
Not exactly what I meant.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: