Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 12:54   #46

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: I Never Sleep Well Before A Storm

He he, not sure Way, I just thought how painful it must be to be pelted by a storms driving rain with your bare ass pointing to the sky tending to the lines
Old 08-09-2013, 13:07   #47
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Maybe start a new thread about this, it seems worth exploring. One of the issues with marinas is you cannot block fairways, there are folks coming in at last minute for shelter. But again, I'd start new thread, and be sure to check the old threads, lots information already posted.
Actually this marina, and as far as I know all marinas in the area, have a rule that at some point when a named storm is approaching, you cannot enter or leave -- partly because it's just too dangerous and partly because those that stay are then free to do things to try to secure their boats. So I would be operating on the assumption that it's possible. In fact, at Pasadena they told me they would encourage it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 13:11   #48

Why marinas are worst choice. From Cyclone Yasi Pictures Also, land masses often act to accellerate wind, not slow it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mega5.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	66846  
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 14:38   #49

Wrong, why SOME marinas are a poor choice.
Old 08-09-2013, 14:50   #50

Quote:
Wrong, why SOME marinas are a poor choice.
The photo pretty well sums up why choosing to keep your boat in a marina in the path of a hurricane is not a prudent choice. Not difficult to find uncountable other examples with one's favourite internet search engine.

One can keep their boats in marinas where no hurricane is likely to occur and be confident they've made a good decision.

You have a list of marinas for people in the path of a hurricane where the boat will be guaranteed safe?
Old 08-09-2013, 15:01   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are many more sheltered places on earth than tampa bay. btdt. not a furycame hole.....
puerto escondido is a very sheltered location, but it also has had its share of horror stories. everywhere these lovely storms run their rage has horror tales and loss.
same goes for where i am--butno one has said the damage here was inside the lagoon. or the marina inside the protected lagoon. we all know the anchoring here in the lagoon is questionable--is why we are secure when anchored with no less than 150 ft chain in a 10 ft depth of water. the mangroves here are excellent cover for boats in furycames and nasty weather.

every storm is different every boat is different. every place is different. some folks know things others do not know--rodlmao--imagine that.
until you yourself have anchored inside the mangroves you have no clue what it is and how it feels.... just watch skeeters while you are there--dengue fever is a very high risk this year.
yes florida is part of the subtropical region which has had reports of dengue outbreaks -- as are bermuda and bahamas, and of course mexico and some north of san diego, caribbean, and other locales.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 15:05   #52

Wrong, I should call you Mr Wrong, feels less like I'm saying you are wrong. But you are wrong to a degree . In Texas, for Ike, it would be quite unrealistic if every boat left their marina to ride it out, no room for one, poor holding, and just plain suicide in my opinion. So I was just trying to say that some marinas are a poor choice, but some can be the best choice in a bad situation. If you google watergate, you will see pictures like the one you posted. But if you google Waterford, a marina just 100 yards away from watergate, it survived IKE with no boat loss and minimal dock damage.
So that is why I corrected you and said SOME are a poor choice. In many many ways, whatever choice you make, it is a gamble.
Old 08-09-2013, 15:13   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there are many more sheltered places on earth than tampa bay. btdt. not a furycame hole.....
puerto escondido is a very sheltered location, but it also has had its share of horror stories. everywhere these lovely storms run their rage has horror tales and loss.
same goes for where i am--butno one has said the damage here was inside the lagoon. or the marina inside the protected lagoon. we all know the anchoring here in the lagoon is questionable--is why we are secure when anchored with no less than 150 ft chain in a 10 ft depth of water. the mangroves here are excellent cover for boats in furycames and nasty weather.

every storm is different every boat is different. every place is different. some folks know things others do not know--rodlmao--imagine that.
until you yourself have anchored inside the mangroves you have no clue what it is and how it feels.... just watch skeeters while you are there--dengue fever is a very high risk this year.
yes florida is part of the subtropical region which has had reports of dengue outbreaks -- as are bermuda and bahamas, and of course mexico and some north of san diego, caribbean, and other locales.
Where my boat survived Rita in 2005, tied bow & stern to trees on both banks. Bow & stern anchors set as well. The debri off her bow backed up against what is believed to be a heavy timber boom, once used in logging operations. No idea where it came from. Photo does not show well. She's in the second bend of narrow waterway after leaving the adjoining straight canal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RitaAerial.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	66856  
Old 08-09-2013, 15:41   #54

Quote:
Wrong, I should call you Mr Wrong, feels less like I'm saying you are wrong. But you are wrong to a degree . In Texas, for Ike, it would be quite unrealistic if every boat left their marina to ride it out, no room for one, poor holding, and just plain suicide in my opinion. So I was just trying to say that some marinas are a poor choice, but some can be the best choice in a bad situation. If you google watergate, you will see pictures like the one you posted. But if you google Waterford, a marina just 100 yards away from watergate, it survived IKE with no boat loss and minimal dock damage.
So that is why I corrected you and said SOME are a poor choice. In many many ways, whatever choice you make, it is a gamble.
No worry, if you said I was Wrong, you'd be right.

At best what you've illustrated is that living in a hurricane zone offers people few choices but to be in a marina, and it is a gamble. Some boaters will get lucky...

Still, I wonder about that list.
Old 08-09-2013, 15:55   #55
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wrong that place looks right...lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 16:20   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

But NO ONE here has advocated keeping their boat in Tampa Bay for a hurricane.

Since a marina is my only realistic choice, I was hoping we could discuss that. The marina I am in right now might well look quite bad after a significant hurricane. As I said, wind from the north unprotected, wind from the SW or west creating an inflated storm surge up the river.

I also know of a couple of sheltered marinas. I don't know *anyone* who thinks Tampa Bay would be a good place.
Old 08-09-2013, 16:22   #57
cruiser

Quote:

THANK YOU. I already knew that to be the case, and I'm still asking -- I put my boat in a sheltered marina, and then what do I do? I don't tie it up for our standard 2-foot tides, I'm sure ...

It's only my home here on the line.
Old 08-09-2013, 17:05   #58

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Some of you might be interested in how the marinas are made safer for cyclone season in New Caledonia at Marina Moselle and Marina Sud.

Both Marinas have concrete walls along their landward sides. When the first cyclone of the season has been predicted, they send down divers, who lay heavy chain down the center of the space between the rows of berths. The landward ends are anchored to heavy eyes on the bottom of the wall, and they have some kind of anchor at the other end, as well. You buy heavy dock lines to have shackled to the chain, and these secure your stern. The marinas required you to have extra large diameter line. Having the stern supported seems to me more secure than just a simple side-tie.

I think one could lay two anchors out astern as far as possible after the marina is closed, in a vee arrangement led back to cockpit winches, so that you could winch yourself aft enough to not have bow contact with the dock. Perhaps that might work for those who do not have a handy mangrove creek to hide in. Mangroves can offer you so much protection that when there's 60 knots at your masthead, you still need to burn mosquito coils on deck to keep the mozzies out!

Of course, it will be a big stringy mess getting everything back in again, but there's no free lunch. And if the dock breaks up, it'll be havoc and boat soup anyway. Interestingly, in Cairns, Qld., Australia, the harbour master causes the marinas to be vacated, and everyone is given a mangrove river location to go to to ride out the cyclones.

FWIW
Old 08-09-2013, 17:34   #59
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

@Ann wow...hairy story.

@Rebel H - how'd you end up, cappy? Ride go well?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 18:01   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
@Ann wow...hairy story.

@Rebel H - how'd you end up, cappy? Ride go well?
Yeah, this one was pretty boring which is always a good thing. The "M" named hurricanes have historically been the worst for this area, and this last one was "L", so I'm very skeptical of what's in store for us over the next week or two.

In between storms I'm keeping up with coats of varnish and paint. And for leak proofing a boat, nothing will show off your leaks quite like a foot of rain in one day. Almost sank the friggin dinghy.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle