Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 18:50   #31

Boat: O'Day 34
Re: I Did A Very Stupid Thing

Thankfully you weren't incapacitated. We've made that same crossing many times and always have had to dodge large commercial traffic as well as the high speed ferries that travel the Tallin-Helsinki route.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 22:22   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Two accidents on the boat over the past ten years have taught me to be a total granny when I move about the boat or situate myself for some task when under way.

First was cracking two ribs when in a similar situation as yours. I was braced against the side of the galley, putting my PDF and harness on and lifted one foot to thread it through a crotch strap when OF COURSE the boat hit an "out of pattern" wave and I was thrown side first against the edge of the nav table. The next three days getting to port were not a lot of fun.

Second was right at a fixed dock. Was stepping down, about 18-14" to step on the cap rail. Doing it too casually and not paying attention my foot slipped off and I landed on my shin, which had stiffened with my leg in an "L" shape in and instinctive move to keep me from falling wholesale in the water and probably bashing my chin/face on the rail on the way down. Fairly serious posterior cruciate ligament injury that took easily six months to heal.

I practice "mindfulness" when I'm doing moving or doing anything that requires two hands on the boat while it's moving now. Stop, focus my attention on what I'm doing, then execute. It's those momentary lapses during casual stuff you've done a zillion times before that will bite you in the rear.

Thank you; this stuff is really important.

I've lived a charmed life where falls were concerned; never broken anything, even when I fell off a motorcycle at 60mph. Even falling flat onto my back onto a hard tile floor, from a piece of counter which collapsed when I trod on it. All my joints in good order. This leads to carelessness, to lack of the kind of "mindfulness" you are talking about, and I am somewhat klutzy to begin with. Being "bitten in the rear" can mean serious injury, crippling, or death, especially single handing. Suddenly and without the slightest warning. I swear I am going to be more "mindful" from now on, moving around on the moving boat. Big time wakeup call.

The father of a childhood friend of mine was killed falling off a low ladder, in his home. In his 40's. We do stuff every day which is actually more dangerous, than standing on low ladders in your home.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 22:26   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
Thankfully you weren't incapacitated. We've made that same crossing many times and always have had to dodge large commercial traffic as well as the high speed ferries that travel the Tallin-Helsinki route.

It's almost always a fun trip -- about 50 miles, often on a reach. From one beautiful city to another beautiful city so always something to look forward to when you arrive.

The traffic is no big deal after the English Channel Mostly Russian tankers.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 22-08-2019, 00:17   #34

It's amazing what minor negligence can try to kill you.

I had the adjuster toggle of a fishing hat fall off. We were about to go check our crab pots, and getting it back on was going to be fiddly, so I decided to leave it till later.

Cruising up the inlet at about 15 knots in the dinghy, we rounded a corner and suddenly copped a 15 knot headwind.

Of course, my hat immediately blew off. No big deal. But the cord was round my neck, and the hat started spinning...

As the cord twisted, it started to tighten. Quickly.

Throttle off, and trying like hell to figure out which way to untwist with the hat behind my head....

I guess it would have been one of the less common ways to die....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 00:21   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It's amazing what minor negligence can try to kill you.

I had the adjuster toggle of a fishing hat fall off. We were about to go check our crab pots, and getting it back on was going to be fiddly, so I decided to leave it till later.

Cruising up the inlet at about 15 knots in the dinghy, we rounded a corner and suddenly copped a 15 knot headwind.

Of course, my hat immediately blew off. No big deal. But the cord was round my neck, and the hat started spinning...

As the cord twisted, it started to tighten. Quickly.

Throttle off, and trying like hell to figure out which way to untwist with the hat behind my head....

I guess it would have been one of the less common ways to die....

What a story!
Walt Whitman
Old 22-08-2019, 01:50   #36

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro b View Post
[...]

Did have another one many years ago, very tired and in heavy fog. Turned west to clear Cape Palliser light to discover it was really Castle Point Lighthouse. You Kiwis will understand. Heavy surf was the wakeup call.

Had to look that one up, and wow, you were "only" about 50 nm off track... that's an achievement in itself, too!

Back on track, it happens to all of us at some point, I'd say. After a few days off shore one tends to become complacent. A few years ago I was thrown backwards from bending over at the chart table on starboard against the galley on the port side. It felt as if the force was enough that I could have broken my spine. A very lucky day for me after all.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 08:07   #37

Boat: Freedom 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanis View Post
, I am a powerboater!
I got a good laugh from your comment😛
Old 22-08-2019, 08:25   #38

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

It takes a smart man to admit he did something stupid. You're a genius.

We all can learn from it. Thanks.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 11:11   #39

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
It takes a smart man to admit he did something stupid. You're a genius.

We all can learn from it. Thanks.
Smart, and humble. Good qualities to aspire to
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 12:16   #40

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Great reminder. And at least you weren't seriously hurt. Thanks for swallowing any pride and posting about it.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 11:54   #41

Boat: Nauticat 32

Cruisers often wear a hat. I wonder if wearing a helmet might sometimes make sense. People already have all kind of safety devices onboard (life vests, harnesses, preventers, lifelines,...). Maybe one more would not harm.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 23:59   #42

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Yes, there are now very specific helmets that are being used in the high performance sailing world, but even a normal cycling helmet could be added protection and is lightweight and inexpensive.

Some Sailing Helmet info and options here: https://www.google.com/search?q=sail...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 24-08-2019, 00:07   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Yes, there are now very specific helmets that are being used in the high performance sailing world, but even a normal cycling helmet could be added protection and is lightweight and inexpensive.

Some Sailing Helmet info and options here: https://www.google.com/search?q=sail...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I have rock climbing helmets on board -- we sometimes do fairly rugged hiking in remote places.

I have been known to wear one on deck in really rough weather.

But who would wear a helmet to make coffee??!!
Walt Whitman
Old 24-08-2019, 00:50   #44

Boat: Nauticat 32

I'd like to see a multifunctional helmet that would do also the usual hat duties, i.e. protect from the sun and rain and cold too.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 02:57   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have rock climbing helmets on board -- we sometimes do fairly rugged hiking in remote places.

I have been known to wear one on deck in really rough weather.

But who would wear a helmet to make coffee??!!

It might just need to be that you always wear the helmet when singlehanding?