Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-12-2012, 05:17   #16

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

Hi SmartMove
A week has passed since you originally posted and I hope you have managed to catch up on some sleep now. Are the mozzies annoying you less too? (And sorry for hijacking that thread for a little bit, I am not good at resisting temptation LOL).

It sounds like lots of expensive work is being done (eg new sails and rigging), so I imagine money is haemorrhaging . On the upside this major work will mean you have a greater chance of less hassle later. And yep, boat work always takes much longer than expected - the rule of thumb often repeated is that anything you think will take an hour will take a day, if you think it will take a day give it a week and for a week's task schedule a month. Saves a lot of frustration if you keep that in mind.

Anyway, hope you are on the water soon and enjoying some well earned R&R .
Hi Seaworthy, no worries about the other thread I have been told I have a strange sense of humor and almost always enjoy the drift in these threads. I still don't think vegemite is for me, but when I get to Oz I will try it at least once. I have adapted to my environment better and the mozzies are less of an issue as I find myself wearing long pants more at least at the boatyard.

You know sometimes you just need to vent a little. It had been a long week -- visitors, working on the boat, watching work not getting done on the boat, folks back home emailing and asking why we are still in Puerto Rico and not sailing yet. They just do not understand boats and sailing, most think we are completely insane and throwing our hard earned money away. I think it all got the best of me! It is nice to have a place like this to share your worries and doubts with people who understand.

Work is progressing better this week. Everyone seems to be in agreement we will be back in the water by the end of next week. Some parts we have been waiting for are scheduled to arrive on Monday -- keep you fingers crossed ! The hubby and I have made good progress on the projects we have been doing, but have not gotten as much done as we wanted to while in Puerto Rico. We have agreed that these projects can be done in some beautiful bay somewhere down island! After all I believe we have a whole damn hardware store on board at this point!

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts, life is better. I get to spend the weekend cleaning the truly disgusting spaces around our holding tanks It appears some of our hoses have leaked in the past -- yikes!

Robyn

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:39   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
I would much rather spend the money up front, than it all go wrong after I have started, and where repairs cost twice as much.
Much of what we are doing is the same things. We knew that sometime in the next two to five years we were going to have to do this stuff anyway. Some of the other thing, like replacing the manual heads with electric heads is more for comfort. At this point in our lives we find we want a bit more of that these days!

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:46   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Re: I Can't Sleep -- Reaching Rebel Heart Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
You know sometimes you just need to vent a little. It had been a long week -- visitors, working on the boat, watching work not getting done on the boat, folks back home emailing and asking why we are still in Puerto Rico and not sailing yet. They just do not understand boats and sailing, most think we are completely insane and throwing our hard earned money away. I think it all got the best of me! It is nice to have a place like this to share your worries and doubts with people who understand.
Yes, sometimes it helps to blow off steam and also to hear that you are not alone when it comes to delays in boat work .

Each haulout I make a long list (blissfully we live without any lists the rest of the time) and we just plod through the items, usually working 9-12 hour days. Sometimes starting one job reveals several more to be added to the list . Often waiting for items ordered delays us the longest. I was terribly impatient at first, but just go with the flow now and take all the sincere promises of delivery time with a grain of salt (we have sometimes waited weeks for items that are promised in a couple of days). Otherwise you just end up very frustrated.

Cleaning job sounds like a three layer glove job LOL. For really bad jobs, barrier cream, then thin disposable gloves under sturdy kitchen gloves (not to then be reused in the kitchen ) works well .
Old 01-12-2012, 06:01   #19

Don't sweat the small stuff. And another poster said, just keep the priority focused on those things that keep your boat off land and be able to get underway on short notice.

Remember, people have been sailing oceans for thousands of years in boats no where near as seaworthy as the one under you right now.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:41   #20

Boat: 2005 Catalina 350

I think sailors fight with the buying a new or newer vs a older boat. they decide to buy the older boat to save money, but forget they have to spend money fixing there new boat, but usually still spend less than it was to buy the new one. you have to find that medium where its time to sail and the item that can be fixed tomorrow since its not stooping me from sailing today. I have some friends that got into this as sailer's and now are the best mechanics fixer uppers and still cant sail there boat. but there boat sure is looking good until they find the next item that needs fixed, oh there it is...
Old 15-01-2013, 16:14   #21

Boat: Hunter 450

I knew that looked like Fajardo.

Maybe a break at La Estacion for a couple Fajardo Sunrises.
Old 15-01-2013, 16:40   #22
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: I Can't Sleep -- Reaching Rebel Heart Status

Dunno if you remember or even know this song but it was kinda a hit when I was a lad...
which was fine aged 7...
but these days when **** hits the fan its...
followed by...

Funny... always seem to have a smile...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: