Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 09:35   #1
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
How the Commercial Guys See Us

I laughed when I read this, but is this how "yachtsmen" are perceived by the commercial mariner?

https://gcaptain.com/you-should-deliver-yachts/

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:49   #2

Re: How the Commercial Guys See Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I laughed when I read this, but is this how "yachtsmen" are perceived by the commercial mariner?

https://gcaptain.com/you-should-deliver-yachts/
I'm not sure that 'Delivery Captain' and 'Commercial Mariner' are completely synonymous.

In the story, the owner had somewhat unreasonable expectations due to lack of experience. He hardly seemed unreasonable. What seems a bit more unreasonable is the reaction of the Delivery Captain.

How was all of this NOT part of a pre-departure briefing?? Billing, Schedule, Alternative Routing, weather. It seems to me the delivery captain did a poor job of communicating expectations to the customer.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:05   #3

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Yeah. In the past I worked as a commercial skipper. "Yachtie" was a derogatory term. Based on the fact that a lot of them were poor seamen. Of course there were marvelous exceptions - guys that were really competent. But they were not the norm.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:27   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Commercial mariners encompasses a lot of vocations including the clowns who use black floats to mark their lobster pots, often in narrow channels.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:30   #5
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

A bias against yachtsmen does exist.

When getting my watchkeeping mates commercial licence in the 80's I remember being quizzed by two Examiners at my Orals.
Was surprised that it was two, since normally one, but the reason became quite clear.

A great deal of my sea time was on large yacht deliveries offshore as a captain and one very large high profile yacht that they felt I should not have commanded.
One Examiner even said that yacht time should not be counted as Sea Time. since "all you guys do is sit and drink gin & tonics"

They drilled me pretty hard for about an hour trying to find sufficient reasons to fail me, even getting into celestial which was not part of the WKM syllabus, but in the end, I had won them over.

After that, getting the higher licences were easier at Orals since they became more supportive (even offering me a future job) but the stereotype owner/yachtie of this article brought back memories of old jealous commercial farts that did not realise how tough it can be out there on a small yacht.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:47   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i mostly hold with the commercial merchant mariner captains on most yotties. my sail instructor was a merchant marine captain who also sailed tallships in navy. he knewhis stuff, unlike most of the so called masters of yots.
i laugh at the pride a 50 tonner spews in all subjects and arenas as that individual stumbles and falls on reality. the unfortunate issue occurs when one of these inexperienced yotties without instruction nor by your leave insists on trying to help in something he knows nothing about and damn near kills you in process while spewing how long he has been "doing this" which is a constant variable.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:27   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There's a reason for the bias. It comes with experience. Most commercial operators are operating every day in all conditions. It's rare to find one that hasn't been involved in a search or rescue for some yachtie, lost or disabled for no good reason. And it's entertaining to watch many of them dock.

On the other hand, delivery captains are just some guy with the ability to pass a test and has some sea time determined by his own records.
In the story, the captain was at fault for running out of fuel. You don't assume anything in a strange boat.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
commercial