Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 08:34   #151

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: How Do You Let Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Emotional hit her hard! Logical stumbled back.
“How will you think of your life ten years from now? Will you be sitting in a rocking chair on the porch of that house, still waiting?… for whatever? The kids are grown. They have families, jobs and lives to live. The Cat’s in the Cradle, Sister!
Julie, the fight is not whether to go or not cruising as opposed to sitting on the porch (I think Emotional has won that one - it's a TKO). The fight is whether or not to go for a boat that may require a hell of a lot of labour and expense.

Is boat maintenance in your blood? It can be difficult, frustrating, expensive and above all keeps you from cruising.

If you are keen to embark on a labour of love, by all means buy this boat. You are obviously smitten. But if your dream is to cruise maybe there are better boat alternatives.

By the way, you are very sensible keeping your cards close to your chest regarding details about the boat . Ignore all these sneaky members pushing for details, who are possibly poised with their cheque books ready to snap up a 'dream boat' .

Tell us all about it when you buy it .

SWL x

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:41   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

By the way, you are very sensible keeping your cards close to your chest regarding details about the boat . Ignore all these sneaky members pushing for details, who are possibly poised with their cheque books ready to snap up a 'dream boat' .

Tell us all about it when you buy it .

SWL x
THAT is a stupid comment with all due respect. How cynical to think that members here are trying to scoop Julie and buy the boat out from under her. You should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting this. She need send the specific details of the boat... but readers are trying to assess what might be involved to get her keel in the blue. Obliviously (most) members here have the experience Julie doesn't. Like Galaxy before her she shows the wisdom and humility to show how many holes there are in her knowledge and experience with boats... and ask.

The problem here is she is not availing herself of the technical issues. As I mentioned upthread... this is not the place for emotional support as much as for nuts and bolts support.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:45   #153

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
THAT is a stupid comment with all due respect. How cynical to think that members here are trying to scoop Julie and buy the boat out from under her. You should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting this. She need send the specific details of the boat... but readers are trying to assess what might be involved to get her keel in the blue. Obliviously (most) members here have the experience Julie doesn't. Like Galaxy before her she shows the wisdom and humility to show how many holes there are in her knowledge and experience with boats... and ask.

The problem here is she is not availing herself of the technical issues. As I mentioned upthread... this is not the place for emotional support as much as for nuts and bolts support.

If I find out what boat it is, I'm going to buy it right away. Sounds like a fun boat with all the boxing and whatnot.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:22   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Oh Lord......... it IS a Hunter!!

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:28   #155

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post

Sandero, my comment was made partly in jest - hence the smiley faces.

However, members are not the only ones reading this thread. If I was considering making an offer on a boat, there is no way I would make this public. Despite all the advice Galaxy girl sought, as I recall she was sensible enough not to publish details either when she came close to making an offer.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:31   #156

Not to worry, Dad. Wipe those tears away! They cleaned up HMS Guano and the broker just sent me the latest picture of her:
Old 08-03-2015, 11:49   #157

The Engine

This picture was taken this past December:

Couldn't find a speck of oil or diesel fuel anywhere. And the entire cabin was devoid of any related odors.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:53   #158

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

You know you want it.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:57   #159
CLOD

Boat: none

My bet is that you aren't going to get whether boat it is.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:09   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: The Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
This picture was taken this past December:

Couldn't find a speck of oil or diesel fuel anywhere. And the entire cabin was devoid of any related odors.
Is that because its covering a huge hole in the hull underneath it?

An engine a boat does not make..........

er....... yeah!

Old 08-03-2015, 12:18   #161

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

There are many people who say don't do this or that, tell you not to give into temptations, not to do something because of a fear they have themselves.

Sometimes the best things in life is doing the things that someone else tells you you can't do.

Go for it.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:22   #162
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm having a ball watching the agony of making a decision.

Its not my money, or choice or temptation so its like sitting on the sofa with a beer and a few slices of fresh bread with Jamon Serrano and Olives..... then another beer ... and seeing each episode unfold.

Nice Engine by the way.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:22   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
2 stu jackson
Drama starts on the 12th year, as to engine, elts, rigging...

Yours were way all too young boats
Hmm, I just did the math: 1986 boat purchased in 1998 made it 12 years old when we bought her.

Yes, you're right. But she's still goin' strong.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:33   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
Really, is this what the forum has come to? (I can use a translator, you know)

As a woman, I think you guys have crossed the line. I expected better.

Maybe you wish to share this with your female partner or spouse? Better yet, include in your Mother's Day card this year....
er...... guy......... not guys.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:41   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Now that I'm more clear on what it is you're looking for, I will say that we faced this same decision last year and we bought the boat. Do we regret it....not really. Would we do it again the same way....I don't think so. The only reason we don't regret it is because this boat is to us what you say that boat is to you. It's our love affair boat. But....I think in hindsight I might have been able to fall in love with another because, as much as we love working on boats, I am ready to be sailing.

However, I signed on for this of my own free will knowing what I was in for because for us, Ms. Emotional was the stronger contender. So....my only advice is to do whatever it takes to make sure you know exactly what it is you're in for before the bell sounds for the next round. And if you're not up for what you might be faced with if Ms. Emotional wins, then by all means, throw in the towel.
Well put, Becky, very well done.

Julie, IIRC, Becky & her so had a Catalina 25 and another one of their type of boat already in their lives.

They've done extensive renovations on all of their boats.

That's the path they chose.

Mine was exactly the opposite. I refused to spend $$ (any) on a project boat, because I knew that even with a fine vessel at purchase there is always something that has to be done. We bought three pristine boats.

On the 2 year old Catalina 22, I had to run the halyards back and rig a jib downhaul because of safety and where we sailed compared to the PO (who may not have known of the safety issues involved).

On the six year old Catalina 25 (like Becky's) I had to replace the 4 stroke engine with the old 2 stroke off our old C22 and rig a jib downhaul, replace the curtain burner alcohol stove with an Origo, and then sail the boat for 12 years.

On the 12 year old C34, I had to completely redo the electrical system, new standing rigging, and a new furler to replace the old CDI that wouldn't let me drop the jib! Thunderbird was right, although his math wasn't so good.

The choice between WANTS and NEEDS is almost like basic Parenting 101. One needs to explain to kids, as well as ourselves, just what that difference is.

THEN you make the choice.

How much buyer's remorse you suffer is based on your basic outlook on life.

I felt really bad about not "getting" the one boat that failed muster in a survey (see earlier post on this topic). Really bad, everything looked soooo good, but many major things weren't.

But, in retrospect, that became an OPPORTUNITY. Why? 'Cuz I never would have found this great boat we've now owned for 16+ years.

Wants & Needs are two separate things. If you can afford the "wants," then "needs" become irrelevant.

After the purchase, the needs list grows.

Again, good luck, this Philosophy 101 has been great fun.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote