Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 14:27   #16

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
Re: How Do You Let Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
OThen my partner, weakened by a mean winter that won't go away, said, "Maybe we should just put in an offer and get the hell out of here!"
I think those in warmer climates missed this part...... My wife and I have had similar discussions this winter here in Ohio, having to refill the snowblower tank twice this year, and still had to shovel 2 inches off the driveway LAST NIGHT!

We have a similar potential situation that may arise soon, a boat that may or may not be the right boat, may or may not be too big, and may or may not be too early in our plan. Our junior in high school is getting nervous we might leave her senior year....

So part of it is the 'bad girl' and part of it is the 'bad winter', or so it sounds like. Spring is around the corner, so hold on and make rash decisions. It's like going to the grocery when you are starving...

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 14:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Perhaps I should rephrase that for clarity: Romanticism and Reality are polar opposites. I did not mean "Romantic "literally, as in Romance, but rather in a philosophical/literary sense.
Philosophy & Philosophers › Encyclopedia

I think what you're saying is that realism and romanticism are opposite literary techniques. They are also different viewpoints in philosophy. That's true. These are perspectives from which to view reality -- but the reality being viewed is the same; it's only the perspective that's different.

So if by this you mean that she should look at the boat from a realistic perspective, I agree. How much work will be required to realize the boat the way she wants it to be? It's a good way to look at it. Some types of problems aren't worth the effort required.

Some boats, however, are likely worth the effort if someone feels strongly enough about them. Make an offer contingent on a survey, and be realistic when you look at the worts. It may be worth the effort, if you've got the time.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 15:01   #18

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

To you... what constitutes "good bones"? How do you know she has good bones if you have not looked at her closely?

There is a difference between "refitting a boat" and "refit to modernize a boat" and one is a lot more expensive than the other. Be honest about what she needs.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 15:05   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't really understand why anyone would even look at a boat that their brain said no to.

You are suppose to go look at boats your brain is agreeable to, and out of those get the one your heart says to.

If this boat followed that you would have gotten it already.

I'd agree to this, but by all means don't get the "sensible" or intelligent boat, boats are illegocial, you just can't make a logical argument for one, not really, we get them because we love them. I guess maybe you can make the same argument of why you married?

But Lord no, don't even look at a boat that is not basically structurally sound, if you do, you will discover what I call creeping elegance, that's when you go to fix something, but part way through you start thinking about how much better it would be if, and the whole thing gets out of hand.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 15:06   #20

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I think what you're saying is that realism and romanticism are opposite literary techniques. They are also different viewpoints in philosophy. That's true. These are perspectives from which to view reality -- but the reality being viewed is the same; it's only the perspective that's different.

So if by this you mean that she should look at the boat from a realistic perspective, I agree. How much work will be required to realize the boat the way she wants it to be? It's a good way to look at it. Some types of problems aren't worth the effort required.

Some boats, however, are likely worth the effort if someone feels strongly enough about them. Make an offer contingent on a survey, and be realistic when you look at the worts. It may be worth the effort, if you've got the time.

Complete agreement!
Old 05-03-2015, 15:10   #21

Boat: Catalina 470

All sailors are romantics to some degree. Do the numbers in regards to money and time. Sometimes free is even to much! Only you know your financial situation and as others have said" at least double what you think it will cost".

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 15:37   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
To say it differently, you generally regret more the things you didn't do than the things you do.
Years ago there was a man on the Tonight Show (Johnny Carson years ago) who was 90 years old and played the piano 8 hours a day. He got up from his chair and did a little dance to show he's still got a lot of kick left in him. Carson asked him if there was anything he has regretted in life. He answered, "Only those things I didn't do."

Most likely, if we buy it, money will be tight most of the time. We've got enough to fix it up and a little in the kitty for emergencies, but keeping her up will probably cost as much as keeping a house up. But when the ocean rises or China calls in their markers and buys the USA, we can float off and still have my house under my feet.

Ms. Logical is now getting her ire up. This is going to be a knock down, drag out battle - Ms. Logical vs Ms. Emotional. 15 rounds, no holds barred!
Old 05-03-2015, 15:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
To you... what constitutes "good bones"? How do you know she has good bones if you have not looked at her closely?
Oh we have. Twice. Been through her like a mole on a golf course.
Old 05-03-2015, 16:49   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

When I was looking for a boat to call mine own way back in 2007, I had already looked at the boat on yachtworld, etc. I found my boat on the bulletin board at the Berkeley marina. It was not a perfect fit. It was small. it was old and the sails had seen better days 10 years previously.

But I loved the shear line and the older look of it. All the rigging had staylocks and you could tell that at one time someone loved the boat, alas a long time ago A repowered diesel made the practical side happy. So the ROSE was the boat for me and still is. Yes it took a bit of work, but nothing I could not handle. I love my little boat.

I think most people know the boat that is for them and you will not generally find it using spreadsheets and logic. Sailing and living aboard is not logical, it's romantic as hell. We don't do it for logical reasons. Sailing is all about romance and exploration. what lays beyond the horizon.

In the end, there is no wrong answer. It may not be perfect, but it will not be boring either.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 17:47   #25

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
When I was looking for a boat to call mine own way back in 2007, I had already looked at the boat on yachtworld, etc. I found my boat on the bulletin board at the Berkeley marina. It was not a perfect fit. It was small. it was old and the sails had seen better days 10 years previously.

But I loved the shear line and the older look of it. All the rigging had staylocks and you could tell that at one time someone loved the boat, alas a long time ago A repowered diesel made the practical side happy. So the ROSE was the boat for me and still is. Yes it took a bit of work, but nothing I could not handle. I love my little boat.

I think most people know the boat that is for them and you will not generally find it using spreadsheets and logic. Sailing and living aboard is not logical, it's romantic as hell. We don't do it for logical reasons. Sailing is all about romance and exploration. what lays beyond the horizon.

In the end, there is no wrong answer. It may not be perfect, but it will not be boring either.

For an engineer that is pretty philosophical.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 17:54   #26

Boat: CS36T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Well put you nailed it!
Old 05-03-2015, 17:58   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
For an engineer that is pretty philosophical.

S/V B'Shert
I am so not the typical engineer.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 18:01   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

Although the Price of the boat is dropping, the Cost probably is not.

Buying a boat is never, ever a financially rational act. There is no real way to cost justify it. It is a depreciating asset that you have to keep dumping money into. Even as a full live aboard - yes your living expenses will be lower than land bound life, but you aren't going to cash out of the boat with more than you started, ever.

That being said, some acts are more irrational than others.

I'd be very, very concerned about the amount of refitting necessary to make the boat safe and comfortable. Without any details about the boat of course it is tough to comment specifically, but you may be biting off a lot more than you expect in terms of work and financial commitment.

I don't know what your experience level is in terms of boat ownership, boat work skills, etc. But I do know that no boat is ever "cruise ready" either. You always need to figure a good percentage of what you pay for the boat will be needed in addition to the purchase price. The older and cheaper the boat, the larger the percentage. A gallon of bottom paint costs the same for a new million dollar yacht or a 30 year old craig's list special, and you will have more to fix and replace the older and cheaper the boat.

There's a reason its been languishing on the market, and a reason the owner is dropping the price aggressively. You need to find that reason and see if its something you can work with.

To couch it in more (or perhaps less..) romantic terms, decisions made with the heart are fine, but if you completely ignore your head they may not be the best long term choice. But sometimes bad boys clean up OK too.

And make sure you get a REALLY good survey done.
S/V Evenstar - Hallberg-Rassy 53 Hull #34
Our travel blog, or "Embarrassing things I do to myself around boats"...
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 18:03   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
There's a boat my heart wants but my brain tells me to run away. It's been neglected, even forgotten and it needs a lot of work... but it has great bones, great potential and I can't let it go.
Trust your gut instinct. Lot's of fish, and sailboats, in the sea. The price repeatedly gets lowered, yet no one is chomping at the bit to take this neglected jewel off the owner's hands. That's something to consider.

Quote:
The moment I stepped aboard, like being away for years, I was home.
That's romantic, yet not necessarily logical.

Quote:
We've looked at a lot of nice boats, but I keep being drawn back to the "bad girl." This boat is the "bad girl" because she's like the one your parents told you will be nothing but trouble. And even if you know they are right, you can't get her out of your mind.
Chased that girl once for around 4 years. Cost me a LOT of money, and in the end, my parents' advice was spot on the money.

As was said in the movie This Is Spinal Tap: "It's a fine line between stupid and clever."
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 18:03   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

It's the winter.

Take a vacation. Go to Florida - Find the crappiest boat in a boat yard you can that has some poor a-hole upside down in the bilge covered with crap. Take a good look at the hull peel that he is waiting to dry, the soft decks, the crappy wiring and the mold in the cabin. Offer to help him for 3 days.

The next 3 days charter a 36 foot boat and go sailing.

On the 7th day decide what was more fun. Then spend the next 5 years doing one of those things but not both.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote