Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 16:59   #76

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: How Do You Let Go?

Julie, do think this boat is a derelict?

I'm thinking not. But if you do then you might be a hopeless romantic and may need to listen to Ms. Logical.
Old 06-03-2015, 17:09   #77

I would think that a boat which has not been used for several years will have a lot of upgrades and repairs to systems. But it depends on where she's been lying. Obviously some climates will take more of a toll.

Wiring in an older boat is of concern... you get corrosion which will make for bad electrical connections and can even cause fire in some circuits.

There is cosmetic work and then there is cosmetic work. Even a deep cleaning can only remove dirt, but finishes take a beating and you might be facing more than work to restore them. Then there is the bedding and so forth at chain plates and stanchions and deck hardware. If she's an old gal probably wise to re bed the lot.

Your windlass will probably have to be stripped down and lubed and so on. A working windlass and chain is mission critical for anchoring which is what you will be doing most nights.

And you will need to put together a lot of spares... filters, impellers, gaskets, belts, pumps, hardware and likely replace a lot of the running rigging... and perhaps upgrade/redo wiring.

It might be more than a couple of months... And surely much can be done while you use the boat. But I wouldn't take off until you tackled all the main items on the never ending boat list.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 17:21   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Really, you ought to at least tell us what it is, yr model etc.'
Pics would be nice

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 17:26   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post

I didn't want this to be about making the purchase happen but rather about walking away. Pure emotion drives me toward the boat but common sense tells me to settle for something less. So I was looking for help in letting this dream go...
Julie. You've said this a couple of times in this thread.

It's like reefing - By the time you think you need to do it, you should have done it already.

You haven't specified what's "wrong" with the boat but if your logic is saying walk away, walk away.

You aren't giving up "the dream" - maybe avoiding the nightmare. There are other "dream boats.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 18:25   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
I didn't want this to be about making the purchase happen but rather about walking away. Pure emotion drives me toward the boat but common sense tells me to settle for something less. So I was looking for help in letting this dream go...
Julie, all these cute emoticons and practice at being a novelist is fun to watch, yet let's now separate the wheat from the chaff, shall we? My crystal ball is now beginning to inform me that you are merely worried about personal finances. Am I getting close? When you stated "something less", I suddenly realized that you might be less concerned about needed refitting as you are about whether you can even afford the boat. Eyes bigger than the stomach, perhaps? It happens to all of us, sometimes. I'm guessing that what you are trying to say is this: "I really drool over that used 70' Hinckley sloop that's been sitting for 3 years, when my budget tells me to stay closer to a new Hunter."

As Señor Ex-Calif alluded to, why not just cut to the chase and tell us what the boat is and the asking price, photos included?
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 18:34   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
When you stated "something less", I suddenly realized that you might be less concerned about needed refitting as you are about whether you can even afford the boat.
This is the financial coffin corner of buying a boat.

"Ooooohhhh... This boat is "worth" $200k. It's for sale for $75k and it only needs a couple of months on the hard."

Yes - and $125k in "gear" - Yes there are tons of guys here that did the $200k boat for $150k." They spent years on the hard, have mad skills and waited for each and every gear deal on eBay.

There is no "free" lunch in boating.

If you have an $80k budget, buy an $80k boat.
Old 06-03-2015, 18:43   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
This is the financial coffin corner of buying a boat.

"Ooooohhhh... This boat is "worth" $200k. It's for sale for $75k and it only needs a couple of months on the hard."

Yes - and $125k in "gear" - Yes there are tons of guys here that did the $200k boat for $150k." They spent years on the hard, have mad skills and waited for each and every gear deal on eBay.

There is no "free" lunch in boating.

If you have an $80k budget, buy an $80k boat.
Yes sir! In complete agreement. I had a friend in the Boston area years ago who owned a mattress company. When we would occasionally meet for lunch, he was always wearing the same blue tie with the repeated lettering in small white type: "TANSTAAFFL TANSTAAFFL TANSTAAFFL"

One day, I asked "So, want to tell me what TANSTAAFFL means?"
My pal: "There ain't no such thing as a free f**king lunch!" "I tell it to all my employees."

True story

Maybe I'll name my next boat "TANSTAAFFL".
Old 06-03-2015, 18:44   #83

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

If the boat has sat completely unattended for a few years, you should expect to find serious corrosion on all underwater metal fittings: prop, shaft & log, rudder shaft, thru-hull fittings/seacocks..., due to not having zincs.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 18:55   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The sad thing, is most boats sit unused and uncared for years anyway. Most and that is over 85% of boats in marina's never go anywhere. So it's always buyer beware.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 19:03   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The sad thing, is most boats sit unused and uncared for years anyway. Most and that is over 85% of boats in marina's never go anywhere. So it's always buyer beware.
Yup! And the fun fact? If the boat is a Hinckley, it's automatically going to be a much nicer boat than 95% of the others, and 100% more expensive to repair. A double "win-lose" whammy!
Old 06-03-2015, 19:25   #86

Boat: Caliber 40

I have not read through all the posts here. But, I'll offer up the experience of the friend I have know for 50-years and sailed with for 30-years.

He too found a "beautiful boat" that had been neglected. A Lake Washington "fresh water boat." A Hallberg Rassey - you can not get 'better bones' than that. Even a Hinckley is just even with an HR!

The boat was an estate sale and had, literally, not been opened for 3-years. He purchased the boat for about 1/2 of what a comparable age and size HR would sell for.

My friend spent three years and 50% of the initial cost of the boat on repairs, rehabilitation, and upgrades. He hired "little old Swedish craftsman" in Poulsbo, WA, a lovely little Swedish community, to do all the work.

At the end of three years the boat was still unreliable and scary to sail.

At the end of four years he sold the boat for a huge loss to someone who was buying an "old boat that needed some TLC."

Why??? did he sell?

- fuel tanks were perforated and would have cost a fortune to replace
- rudder stock was corroded away and needed replacement
- his wife said "no more money"
- his wife said "no more time working on the boat"
- he and his wife said "I want something reliable and safe"

The new owner put another 50% of the cost of purchase into the boat and sold it in four years at a huge loss at the end of five years.

Is it worth the risk?
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 19:38   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
He too found a "beautiful boat" that had been neglected. A Lake Washington "fresh water boat." A Hallberg Rassey - you can not get 'better bones' than that. Even a Hinckley is just even with an HR!
Hey now!!! Watch your step!! (joking )

Quote:
Why??? did he sell?
- his wife said "no more money"
- his wife said "no more time working on the boat"
And there you have it! Rule number one: Never tie the wrong knot!
Old 06-03-2015, 19:46   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I just noticed - When did you become a mod, oh exalted one - LOL Congrats on that...

Anyhoo - How about that crowd-funding site where people click to donate and one makes a better peanut butter sandwich or something?

Bear with me. We all love boats. We all feel real pain when they are neglected. So let's start a boat rescue project. We can't save 'em all but we can make a start.

We move somewhere warm (not too warm) with good UPS delivery and we get donations investments to rescue boats.

We do them up "right" not Bristol. But bring 'em back to life and sell them on to worthy adoptees. We appeal to owners to let them go cheap with the romantic notion we will save them. We sell them (at a profit - wink, wink) to worthy buyers who meet our stringent adoptive parent rules.

Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Yup! And the fun fact? If the boat is a Hinckley, it's automatically going to be a much nicer boat than 95% of the others, and 100% more expensive to repair. A double "win-lose" whammy!
Pedigree boats may not fit the business model...
Old 06-03-2015, 19:57   #89

Quote:

Pedigree boats may not fit the business model...
I know what your saying! I've been searching high and low for a derelict beat-up Hinckley that someone is dying to unload for $35K. Ain't having much luck, but will keep searching.
Old 06-03-2015, 20:04   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
I just noticed - When did you become a mod, oh exalted one - LOL Congrats on that...

Finally, proper recognition .. Gee I've been a MOD for almost 6 months. But no kneeling or bowing.... well not too much

I like the rescue boat idea. Lots of neglected boats out there.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote