Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 09:57   #61

Re: How Do You Let Go?

At the end of the day, there is no perfect boat. There are only ones you like more, and ones you like less.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:20   #62
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
I should clear something up. I don't believe the boat will need a lot of boatyard work, maybe a couple of months at the most.
Do you mind saying what you see, that would require a couple of months in a boatyard? It sounds like much more than a fresh bottom job, new zincs, and a few new seacocks...

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:42   #63

Boat: Niagara 35

I agree that we need some more data here. We're all making wild assumptions.

You obviously have Ms. Emotional doing an excellent job. Let us play Ms. Intellectual for you.

By the way, your writing is exceptional. If you're not already a professional writer, please become one and then report back to us where to find your material!
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:06   #64

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
I am at the very moment you are at right now. I have the contract to offer (after negotiating a verbal agreement over the phone) beneath my computer mouse as I type. This is for a boat that just makes my heart sing. I have friends and family who think I am nuts, and they may be a little right, but I have a history of being nuts to them. That said, this boat is one that I have lusted after since I saw her, and sailed on one. It is a project, don't get me wrong, but the bones are very good, and much of the work is cosmetic, but still, it needs work, oh, and a new engine, it is priced accordingly...and in my budget to replace.

I have a habit of taking on projects, but they all have been projects that spoke to my heart, with a little tempering from my head. Without your heart being in something, you will never really continue to love it, especially when things get difficult, or take longer than you thought. It is those times, that you can look at her, and just picture the outcome in your mind. In the time I will spend working on her, I will come to know her every system, and nuance, and it will be the way I want it.

That being said, I will sign the offer today, and send it in. A survey will be coming next, and I will be anxious as to how that comes out, any major unexpected items will be a deal breaker...which is my head talking. I would rather offer than not, better to know then always wonder what would have happened...but in the end I will wind up with a boat that will make my head turn every time I leave her.
Not nuts, full on BAT S$$T CRAZY!!! Can't wait till you get it here.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:27   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Do you mind saying what you see, that would require a couple of months in a boatyard? It sounds like much more than a fresh bottom job, new zincs, and a few new seacocks...

Ralph
Haven't seen the bottom but what you listed is all I'm hoping will need to be done. The boat's in the water and has been for over a year, maybe two, maybe three, without the owner ever stepping on board. So the couple of months guesstimate is taking into consideration a worse (not worst) case scenario. Also haven't run the engine or the generator or turned on any of the electronics. A survey could get us running for the nearest tiki bar, our hearts beating out of our chests, thankful we narrowly escaped a life sentence in the boatyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I agree that we need some more data here. We're all making wild assumptions.
I didn't want this to be about making the purchase happen but rather about walking away. Pure emotion drives me toward the boat but common sense tells me to settle for something less. So I was looking for help in letting this dream go...

or maybe...

waking me up to the fact the clock is ticking, I've waited too long already, and I'd better do something soon or the next step will be

So far, the latter seems to be weakening the wall of resistance common sense has built around me.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:54   #66

You can always make more money, the clock stops for nobody. If this is "your" boat start moving on it. Take your idea of a low ball offer, then take some more off that and submit it to the seller. Don't be shocked when the say yes. We made four lowball offers when buying our last boat, three accepted.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:57   #67

Boat: Niagara 35

If the only issue is that it hasn't been sailed in a few years, I wouldn't be too worried. Every boat's going to have some issues, even a new one.

The survey and sea trial will tell you what you need to know. Why not make the offer?
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 13:10   #68

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
I should clear something up. I don't believe the boat will need a lot of boatyard work, maybe a couple of months at the most. After that the costs will be keeping her shipshape. I'm a hopeless perfectionist and it gets expensive. Whatever boat it is, I'll be working toward making her my pride and joy. But I will be sailing her, a lot... If a survey turns up anything that will mean months on end working on her in a boatyard, the love affair will end right there.
Julie, if you are correct in your estimation of her needs here, then I see no reason not to go for it. If this boat is the one that is going to make your pulse quicken every time she comes into view, the one that you will love to wake up in, the bow that you can see yourself looking out over for years to come, and you are prepared for what it might take to get her going, then buy yourself the love affair.

As for the months on end working in a boatyard....I guess we're crazier than you, because we took that route.

Prices drop for a lot of reasons. Sometimes the need to be out from under the responsibility of something becomes more pressing than the desire to hold on for a price. Or sometimes people have financial difficulties and need whatever they can get FAST even if it is less than they know something is worth. You don't need to figure that part out, you only need to figure out if the boat is priced right for you and if she is sound and can be brought up to cruising condition with the time, money, skills, and resources you have available or want to expend.

I wish you the best. I hope that it all works out for you and whether you buy her or don't, you come to see either decision as the right one.
Old 06-03-2015, 13:18   #69

Quote:
There's a boat my heart wants but my brain tells me to run away. It's been neglected, even forgotten and it needs a lot of work... but it has great bones, great potential and I can't let it go. The moment I stepped aboard, like being away for years, I was home.

We've looked at a lot of nice boats, but I keep being drawn back to the "bad girl." This boat is the "bad girl" because she's like the one your parents told you will be nothing but trouble. And even if you know they are right, you can't get her out of your mind.

She was all but forgotten when, a couple of months back, I found out the owner dropped the price. And back I came. I looked at the pictures and videos I took, remembered the times I was aboard her, and dreamed about sailing her into a new port - again and again.

Common sense won over and I was about to forget her, for the third time. Then I heard the price dropped again. With the gravitational pull of a black hole, I started getting drawn back in once more. Three time's a charm?

Once again, I pulled out the arsenal of logical reasons why I need to forget about her and it started working. Then my partner, weakened by a mean winter that won't go away, said, "Maybe we should just put in an offer and get the hell out of here!" My knees buckled, my head spun round, I heard the Sirens' sweet voices calling me back.

I've called out to Amphitrite, the Goddess of the Sea, and begged her to end this suffering. I'm still waiting for a reply.
Boats don't sell like marine supplies, like cars, like houses. It takes a long time to sell a boat, because she's something personal and it takes a personal love to fit.

If you found a boat you love, you have the money, it floats, you sail . . . buy, sail, work on her; and keep writing that great prose.

At the very least you can turn it around and resell her once she's all cleaned up and restyled with a new hat, hairdo, and flyin' clean sails.

Just do it.

Live for life.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 13:31   #70

Boat: a sailing boat

To me the choices are obvious: there are project boats and there are sailing boats.

If you want to sail, run.

If you want to work, buy.

Only buy a derelict if this is a one off with some historical significance. If the boat is a run of the mill, then get an equivalent, clean, unit.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 13:39   #71

Barnakiel type of advice is why I said make a low low offer. Broker in Florida told us people won't even wait for a boat to be fixed at the sellers expense,let alone fix themselves.
Old 06-03-2015, 14:58   #72

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

ILLOGIC QUESTIONING, Ms.Mor (as well as the previous one on Seaworthiness)

Any boat purchase is illogic. Then, do you go for.... what? Beauty? Comfort? Pride? Speed? Savings v land-life? Answer yourself,, and proceed accordingly.

There must be a difference among a Beneteau or an Alden design, as a starting point, mustn't it?

On top of that point, if you want it to be YOUR BOAT, only the Canibul's approach works: $, sweat, tears (salty ones)

So, do not behave like a person being asked "like it? Is it pleasant? Or painful?" who answers " I DONT KNOW!" ...

YOU MUST KNOW, OR WAIT, OR GIVE UP. YOU MUST HAVE THE ANSWER!

What is fast, great, superbe, heartly ....to you, or me, may sound ridiculous, inappropriate, miserable... to another ship owner. There is no upper limit.

Yet, I dont want to be confrontational. Anyone has to find his/her own way to the Personal Dream (which differs for as many sailors are around).
HAVE YOU A VISION? i had one, to have st the most similar to Gipsy Moth IV.... as we sail to haunt a vision, not 'per se'
16m, hooked sails, cutter rig, solo handed, heeling much, heavy displ. No frills, but all amenities below deck

That said, a Swan 65' , a Najad 44', any Andersen, or Fife's designs.. are on paper more promising than any mass production brand.

The point of arrival should be a mix of personal added value on a sound basis.
Like Canibul, I surveyed, touched, improved the boat thoroughly, no square foot neglected 3D.

You say 2 month on dock??? I can keep a brand new full optional boat 12months on yard, for motivated improvement, extra-aesthetics, top-class refitting, hand-made gear, insulation (70SQM of different played films) shock-absorbers aluminium etiquettes....laser-cut own design gadgets, Bulthaup accessories in the kitchen,... additional working tools (4,000+USD)

I have 9 hammers on Board, for each different purposes.
4hrs ago I put a 5' long python skin on my cabin door. This is my boat. As much as yours will be, no one alike :-)

Happy winds
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 15:55   #73

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Having worked as a professional investment advisor, i may say that, in the end, it is usually a gut feeling decision, whether to go ahead or to withdraw, or abstene. Difficult, but the opportunity REMAINS IN YOUR HANDS, FOR THE NEXT TARGET

If any, only the NO-GO can be logically grounded, hardly so the contrary.

On the Main Street, i never buy upfront. I return, if in need, but more often I simply forget what i wanted.....:-)

As to boats, it is easy to find a better one (same for partners..). It is the time/efforts we dedicate which make them different, unique, ours...

Always, starting from a sound basis (built, design, concept, in reverse order)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 16:15   #74

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
I didn't want this to be about making the purchase happen but rather about walking away. Pure emotion drives me toward the boat but common sense tells me to settle for something less. So I was looking for help in letting this dream go...
I always use the toss a coin method to help me with major decisions. When the coin falls the initial feeling is the one that tells you what your real gut instinct is before the two sides of your brain have time to get in the way and start debating the issues.

Regardless of your decision please do get out on the water one way or another - it's an incredible life - and, like others have commented, please also keep writing. While deliberating, if you + partner want to come sailing in the Greek islands to have head space to think about it and to test the cruising life, let me know

TwT
Old 06-03-2015, 16:23   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

As julie is finding out, we are all enablers. Gee, she's asking boat people about not buying a boat. She needs to talk to the folks in gated communities who never step on board boats, to talk her out of buying the boat.

My question is were are the photo's. At least one. We would not tell a soul. Right guys

Probably a good time to watch capt. Ron again too. Why yes I am evil...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote